Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Advice needed on suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JoJoMW87 is on a distinguished road
Advice needed on suspension...

So I have an 02 Sedan, and I'm about to put some 17" Motegis on it. Here are my plans for suspension: Tein S Tech Springs and some Tokico Blues. Does anyone else have this combo? If so, how is it?

And other sedan drivers, tell me about your suspension set up. I'm trying to get some ideas. Right now, I'm leaning towards the S Techs and Blues. What are your opinions? I don't want it too low to where my tires are beating the crap out of my fenders, but I also don't want 2 finger gaps or anything like that. Let me know.

Post pics if you have them!
Old 03-18-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Advice needed on suspension...

you could search and learn it all. but s-tech's will give you a nice 2finger gap. and tockicos will ride close to stock. your whole setup will ride close to stock but handle a wee bit better.
Old 03-18-2008
Registered!!

So what do you suggest for springs? Everyone has opposing views on everything, so I'm trying to get opinions from sedan drivers specifically or anyone with experience.
Old 03-18-2008
Registered!!

colourwolf will become famous soon enough

i m going to get Tokico Blues in the spring. I did a search, people who have Tokico Blues with stock springs said it raises the height by 0.5", what about aftermarket springs?

Like neuspeed claims that their sport springs lower 1.75"F 1.5"R. So with Tokico Blues, it iwll become 1.25"F 1"R, no?

I did search, cant find the answer for this question.
Old 03-18-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JoJoMW87
So what do you suggest for springs? Everyone has opposing views on everything, so I'm trying to get opinions from sedan drivers specifically or anyone with experience.
all in all you are going to have to decide by yourself eventually.

1) If you don't need adjustability and you want a stock like feel then that set up is fine.

2) If you aren't tracking your car and it is only a DD sedan, then stick with something similar to the set up you have.
Old 03-18-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

People make the mistake of thinking a different wheel size will give a different look to the fender gap.......it won't. The stock wheels (of the DX) are 14 inch with a 70 series tire. I moved to a 18 inch wheel and a 35 series tire to get the same rolling diameter. The total diameter of your wheel/tire combination will (see should) always be the same for a daily driver so the only thing that matters is the suspension change. Now I'm dropped on the S-Tech and it's great, it rubbed for a week but once I got the wheel alignment and had the camber kit adjusted properly, it went away. I just have to be conscious of how many people are in the back when I hit a bump.
Old 03-18-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by colourwolf
i m going to get Tokico Blues in the spring. I did a search, people who have Tokico Blues with stock springs said it raises the height by 0.5", what about aftermarket springs?

Like neuspeed claims that their sport springs lower 1.75"F 1.5"R. So with Tokico Blues, it iwll become 1.25"F 1"R, no?

I did search, cant find the answer for this question.
I've never heard of Tokico Blues raising the height. If so, that's a good questions. Hmm..yeah I'd like to know...
Old 03-18-2008
Registered!!

Dex, what camber kit do you have?
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

What are some good springs meant specifically for a sedan that will work well with Tokico struts? I'm looking at Neuspeed sports and H&R sports.

Anyone have either of those springs matched with Tokicos?
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

mrbanhbao has a spectacular aura aboutmrbanhbao has a spectacular aura about

why dont you get full coilovers so you can adjust the height to wat pleases you. = D im getting megan ASAP.
Old 03-20-2008

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

What are some good springs meant specifically for a sedan that will work well with Tokico struts? I'm looking at Neuspeed sports and H&R sports.

Anyone have either of those springs matched with Tokicos?
Those are too low. Tokico can only handle about a 1-1.5" drop with one staying further away from 1.5" If you want to drop low, then I suggest getting Tokico D Specs or full coilovers.

Again, you can sit here and ponder this for months trying to make the "right" decision. There is no right decision, there are just better decisions.

BTW for a daily driver Megan coilovers are fine, but they aren't the best performing coilovers.

Did you read the FAQ in my sig?
Old 03-20-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Dex, what camber kit do you have?
I have the Eibach/SPC camber kit, it's like $120. And the shop adjusted it for me when doing my alignment.
Old 03-20-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

blown rear shocks will sag like a ****. when i put tokicos on, i went from 0.5 finger to 2 finger gap. front struts were the opposite. blown fronts were raised at 3 finger, then after tokico they went down to 2 finger.
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

tokico blues/megan springs with 1.5" all around, settles in to 1.6-1.7... this is the lowest you should go with blues or else they have a high chance of blowing on you... ive been running on this setup for 3 years and it still feels the same as the first day i bought them... but i will be upgrading to coilovers very soon

on 15's

on 16's
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

Very nice. I'll look into the Megans. Mrtrinh, how's the handling and everything?
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

mrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of lightmrtrinh is a glorious beacon of light

handling definitely improves and the comfort is not that bad, not too rough... with this combo though its more for daily street driving and not track use, but i have taken it to the canyons a few times
Old 03-20-2008
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Handling can be tuned later with the proper alignment and Anti-roll bar setup

Right now, find a spring with the drop you want and a good damper to go with it. D-spec's may be an option, given you want a 2" drop.
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

My car will mostly be used for daily driving.

I've done some research regarding sedans and I'm now leaning more towards getting some Neuspeed Sports and either Tokico D Spec or Koni yellows...

Comments anyone?
Old 03-20-2008

My car will mostly be used for daily driving.

I've done some research regarding sedans and I'm now leaning more towards getting some Neuspeed Sports and either Tokico D Spec or Koni yellows...

Comments anyone?
Konis require modification of the front struts, whereas D specs are plug and play. I am not sure you level of confidence with working on your car, but D specs would be the easier swap.
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

*happy sigh*

You guys rock. Thank you for all the feedback
Old 03-20-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

id suggest the yellows. they're just bout the best struts you can get for your civic....

the ride is subperb and the handling is excelent....

now, pair them up with lets say......GROUND CONTROL...and you've got urself a winner over anything.....

plus, the adjustment will be a PLUS for you...since you have a saloon... saloons have a tendency to sag at the rear more then coupes
Old 03-20-2008

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

oh yea, 2010 posts!
Old 03-20-2008

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
id suggest the yellows. they're just bout the best struts you can get for your civic....

the ride is subperb and the handling is excelent....

now, pair them up with lets say......GROUND CONTROL...and you've got urself a winner over anything.....

plus, the adjustment will be a PLUS for you...since you have a saloon... saloons have a tendency to sag at the rear more then coupes
but she want a DD and does not plan on racing nor needs the adjustability. She needs a simple set up like tein S-techs with tokicos. Konis and GCs are much more complicated.
Old 03-20-2008

Originally Posted by robbclark1
but she want a DD and does not plan on racing nor needs the adjustability. She needs a simple set up like tein S-techs with tokicos. Konis and GCs are much more complicated.
true that, but i still think its worth it.....even if u dont race or track ur car...

i do neither....but i still enjoy it...
Old 03-20-2008
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure to get an alignment kit for both the front and rear!!!
Old 03-20-2008

^he means a camber kit....and then get it aligned... lol
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by robbclark1
Yeah, I was inititally going for some Tein S Techs with Tokico Blues. But I've been told that S Techs aren't the greatest choice for sedans. So right now, I'm thinking of getting some Neuspeed Sports with Tokico D Specs and some SPC cambers.

Last edited by JoJoMW87; 03-20-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-20-2008

OT: dude, jojo......i jsut checked ur cardomain and you drive a manual...

thats pretty awesome.....props

but one thing, you should lose those tails... get some 03+ or some LED tails like gearboxs....

/////edit

join "7thGen.MT.C." by putting it in ur sig =] cuz we're cooler than those autos...
Old 03-20-2008
Registered!!

What does the "MT.C" stand for?

Yeah, I'm looking out for some new taillights. But I'm working on my rims and suspension right now.

And hell yea, there's no other way to drive a car than manual.
Old 03-21-2008

7thgen manual transmission club

And hell yea, there's no other way to drive a car than manual.
oh..... only if there were moer girls like you in CA....

Quick Reply: Advice needed on suspension...