Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Raise it or smaller rims?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01candycivic is a jewel in the rough01candycivic is a jewel in the rough01candycivic is a jewel in the rough
go to wheelmax.com have some good wheels cheap. or i will trade you my 17 for your 18.
Old 08-14-2006
How many pots have you smoken?
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by LiKEaFeRiO
Try 215/35/18 tires?
yeah thats what i had at first and it was WAY worse! well...i had stock shocks with the 35s...then i got tokicos and new tires and it was a huge difference. BUT even though the 40s are better than the 35s, the 40s still suck haha.

im just gunna wait and get some 16s. im starting the University in a few weeks and im puttin my 2 week notice to my job today...im gunna be a broke college student! haha oh well at least i was ballin between 18-21 yrs old...but now im gunna be a broke *** 21 year old haha. but ya...im just gunna start saving for some 16s and be done with it.

i LOVE my vic....but i think im done putting big money into it for a while...
Old 08-14-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
i think your best bet is trading them with christiancalim
Old 08-14-2006

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
damn man, that looks freakin nice! i wish my drop was like that though...my *** is way saggy! your drop looks perfect...a little lower in the front and no wheel gap, but nothing tucked. hot ride man!

do you have a system in the back?

the reason im leaning toward 16s is because 17s are only slightly smaller than 18s....and i want more than a slightly better feel.

Last edited by manthatguysfast; 08-14-2006 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-14-2006

yeah...i think my system is making my *** sag big time. i have just a 12 back there. but i have a huge *** excelon amp and another semi big infinity amp. and then i have a wood false floor and side panels for the amps.

i think even if i go with 17s i'll still have a problem.
Old 08-14-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
no matter what size you go your gunna sag in the back cause of all thay weight.
Old 08-14-2006

Originally Posted by Sujak
I think he's aware of that, but he wants 17 or 16 's cause then the sag wont well.. cause him to rub like it did with 18"s

word. i know its gunna sag. im tryin to figure out if it will still rub with the 17s or if i should just go with the 16s.

im also thinking about leaving the front springs and changing the rear to eibachs Prokit. that way even if it sags, it wont sag so low...

of course this is assuming i get a job soon...as i just put in my 2 week notice hahahahah oh man im gunna be screwed.
Old 08-14-2006
Registered!!

Christian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to behold
my offer is still up! Cant get any better than this!
Old 08-14-2006

for real, b? haha..well this is interesting...

so...what size tires you got on the 17s right now? you would have to get my 18s powdercoated...they're in a bit of bad shape right now. they all have curbage on them. my tires are in great shape though...bought them a few months ago and haven't gone on any long trips or raced AT ALL on them (my suspension sucks...i baby my vic now a days haha) they're BFG KDWs http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/asset...%20gforce' they cost me around $800 if i remember correctly...

im not really sure what i wanna do, to tell ya the truth...but give me some time to think it over and explore other options ($$ of 16s..)

i dont wanna mislead you at all though...my 18s are gunna stand out on your ride unless you get them powdercoated...cuz the rest of your ride is clean haha...
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
ok i have a set of 18's with a 225/40/18 on them with the eibach prokit. i have about i finger gap all the way around with kyb agx shocks. i would like to go to 17's witha 215/45/17 tire if not a 225/45/17. but that is a harder tire to find. a 215/45/17 i think looks good and probably adds about 1" of sidewall maybe a bit more. if your after ride quality then definately go for 16's. but if you dont want to sacrifice the loos stay with a 17. look at my pics if you want an idea of how the prokits look with a 225/40/18. didnt you have your car listed on ebay for a while? did you decide not to sell!!!!
Old 08-15-2006
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice
i have the progress springs and its a nice 2.1 inches all around. I get what you mean about 18" as I used to have 17"s on my gsr and that sucked so i can imagine that 18"s blow just as bad. IMO 16"s all around on some nice falken ZIEX 512s, when you do this you can shake my hand lol
Old 08-15-2006

huh?! ebay! nah that wasn't me! i hope someones not trying to sell my car! lol...

how does the prokit feel with the 18s? i got a quoted something like 485 to get the prokit installed (parts + labor). thats pretty much why i made this thread to see which was better...stayin with my 18s and goin prokit or staying on the neuspeed sports and gettin smaller rims. i realized though...even if i raise it up - the corners might feel better and more stable...but smaller rims/more rubber is going to give me better cornering AND better ride quality overall...

i like your ride though....maybe if my rims didn't need to be powder coated and looked glossy (read: if my rims were in good condition) i would just keep them. but they have been an eye sore (mostly to me, im REALLY picky about details) since i got them so this is a chance to fix the cars feel and get new rims.

christiancalim....are you still interested in the rims if you need to get 'em powder coated? the guy i bought them from was NOT upfront with me about them and said they were in near perfect condidtion...and he was going to have them professionally painted before he shipped them. well - they weren't! i got them basically how they are now...which is in need of powder coating. let me know if you're really interested we can probably work something out. maybe not a trade...but a sale?...

Originally Posted by cwo715
i have the progress springs and its a nice 2.1 inches all around. I get what you mean about 18" as I used to have 17"s on my gsr and that sucked so i can imagine that 18"s blow just as bad. IMO 16"s all around on some nice falken ZIEX 512s, when you do this you can shake my hand lol
lol i just bought my girl some 512s for her civic...she LOVES them.

Last edited by manthatguysfast; 08-15-2006 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-15-2006
I'm unusually bored.

tony_buttons is an unknown quantity at this point
I find it strange that you are having those problems to begin with. I'm running the same tire size as you, and on neuspeeds sports, but on stock shocks and my car turns like an indy car. I'm wondering what kind of tire you are running, and whether they are worn or not. I have pirelli p zero on mine. I don't know... I have a neuspeed front strut brace too.
Old 08-15-2006

they're badass tires. BFG KDW g-force. 215/40/18. maybe a little worn from regular use but no burnouts or even racing at all. and i have a neuspeed brace as well as the 19mm rear sway.

you're as stumped as i am man. if i were rich Id pay zzyzz or boilermaker or someone...ANYONE...to fly out and even just give me a diagnosis. my town sucks...no turner shops and the one that is 45 miles away has some skinny Brit as a manager who wont even look at it unless you buy something from him. haha.
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
a 215/40/18 is a small tire man. i had to trim my rear fender lips to tuck the rear tire when i had my progress drop. but now on the eibachs i have about a 1 finger gap. i like low cars but at the same time i prefer functionality. there is a happy medium which i found with my eibachs. the 225/40/18's dont ride too bad. but i definately feel the power loss trying to spin such large heavy wheels. a 17 with a 225/45/17 or 215/45/17 or even a 215/50/17 would give a much better ride wityh out the sacrafice of going to a much smaller rim.
Old 08-15-2006

i barely fit a 215 right now...id never fit a 225!
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

you can run a 1/4" spacer i had to in the rears. but that also depends on the back spacing and offset. i was running the 225/40/18 with progress springs. i couldnt even get a key in the fender well in the rear. so it was low and i still fit the 225's. you just have to take a dremel or rotary tool and grind off the rear fender lip

Last edited by familycar; 08-15-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

Christian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to beholdChristian Calim is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by manthatguysfast
they're badass tires. BFG KDW g-force. 215/40/18. maybe a little worn from regular use but no burnouts or even racing at all. and i have a neuspeed brace as well as the 19mm rear sway.

you're as stumped as i am man. if i were rich Id pay zzyzz or boilermaker or someone...ANYONE...to fly out and even just give me a diagnosis. my town sucks...no turner shops and the one that is 45 miles away has some skinny Brit as a manager who wont even look at it unless you buy something from him. haha.

speaking of zzyzx, the last time i talked to him personally he explained the whole suspension setup on our civics, and what the pros and cons were. If i ever needed help or have a question on our suspension work, he would definetly be the person i would ask.
Old 08-15-2006
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
^Do you know of a link for that kind of info? might be a good read.
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

sorry man i dont.
Old 08-15-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
I changed from 17" to 16"
Running Toyo 205/40/16s
WOW
Old 08-16-2006

really?! see this is want i wanna hear. personal experience from going from a 17 to a 16....explain more Pon!
Old 08-16-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pon55
I changed from 17" to 16"
Running Toyo 205/40/16s
WOW
why would you get a smaller rim size but keep the tire size the same. going form a 205/40/16 is no different than riding on a 205/40/17. the side wall is the same size.. this would be useless if your looking for a better ride
Old 08-16-2006

what do people normally run on 16s again? a 215/45?
Old 08-16-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by manthatguysfast
what do people normally run on 16s again? a 215/45?
yUP.
205/40 = smaller diameter = lower gearing

16s weigh less than 17s so its quicker and rides better! (doesn't look as good as 17s)

Now to find some nice lightweight 16 x 7 or 7.5 rims (for cheap)

Oh, and the car sets about an inch lower too.

Last edited by pon55; 08-16-2006 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-16-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pon55
yUP.
205/40 = smaller diameter = lower gearing

16s weigh less than 17s so its quicker and rides better! (doesn't look as good as 17s)

Now to find some nice lightweight 16 x 7 or 7.5 rims (for cheap)

Oh, and the car sets about an inch lower too.
the only way a 16 will ride better(comfort wise) than a 17 is if the tire is larger. and going form a 17 to a 16 will lower it 1/2" in ride height if the tires are the same size. a 16 will be quicker than a 17 but that also depends on the rim weight and tire size as well.