Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

An Alignment Question *UPDATE post 12*

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
An Alignment Question *UPDATE post 12*

if anyone could answer this question for me, it would be greately appreciated.

i got an alignment done yesterday after having my coilovers taken out. the car drove fine after the alignment. the mechanic said the camber was maxed out of adjustment on the front passanger side but said its not a big deal and my tires won't wear, etc (i think the camber was maxed out because my car is slammed). well, today i decided to give my car an oil change. after i lowered my car (from the jacks), i swear that my alignment is off. the car is drifting to the left, and it didnt do that yesterday. my question is: Is it possible to throw off your alignment if you jack up your car like i did?

thanks for your help fellas.
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

grncivic2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
it depends where you jacked up the car. i have seen some jack cars up from the control arm. alignments are done while the car is on the ground since ur lowered a lot, like my car maybe one of ur adjustments shifted or changed when it was jacked up.id take it back and tell them its still pulling and make them check it for free.
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
thanks, i jacked my car up from the center where the jacking plate is located. i just dont understand why this would happen...
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

one of ur adjustments probably shifted. i lowered my car 2.5" and it pulls to the right all the time. cant figure it out. my alignment is perfect except for the rear i got a rear camber kit and had to bring the camber in becuz my wheels were hitting my fenders. might be y it is pulling to the right i dont know but like i said id take it back since its only been a day and tell them to fix it for free. most shop will do it to make the customer happy.
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

yea, i know. but the thing is, i've brought it back before with my "hunches" when in fact there was nothing wrong. i just dont want to annoy the mechanics there because the recognize me, haha. but this time i definately know that something is off...
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

is it a hard pull or does it slowly start to drift. cuz mine u let go of the wheel and u go to the right. it sucks i need to do somthin but i cant have my wheels hitting my fenders. i take it u got the camber kit in the rear then? how far is ur drop?

thats my car it doesnt look that low but it is real low the rear has bout 1 finger gap its real nice had to roll my fenders

the mechanics are there for that reason to fix cars.

Last edited by grncivic2001; 03-19-2006 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Post your alignment printout and it should be more helpful.
Old 03-19-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i jacked mine from the stock points and my alignment is fine.
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

i have a camber kit for the front and the back. i dont know exactly how much its lowered because i honestly turned the coilover rings until the car's height looked good.
here is a pic of the car:

the alignment specs are (in degrees):
FRONT LEFT:
Camber: -.3 - specified range: -.8 to .8
Caster: 2.4 - specified range: .6 to 2.6
Toe: 0.0 - specified range: -.12 to .12
SAI: 17.2
Included Angle: 16.9

FRONT RIGHT
Camber: -1.4 - specified range: -.8 to .8
Caster: 2.0 - specified range: .6 to 2.6
Toe: -.02 - specified range: -.12 to .12
Included Angle: 16.3

FRONT:
Cross Camber: 1.1
Cross Caster: .5
Cross SAI: .5
Total Toe: -.02 - specified range: -.24 to .24

REAR LEFT:
Camber: -.7 - specified range: -1.5 to 0.0
Toe: .16 - specified range: .04 to .16

REAR RIGHT:
Camber: -.8 - specified range: -1.5 to 0.0
Toe: .14 - specified range: .04 to .16

REAR:
Cross Camber: 0.0
Total Toe: .30 - specified range: .08 to .31
Trust Angle: .01

According to the alignment printout, the green is within range and the red is out of range.
Old 03-19-2006
My car is goin to have a new look!!!

Deception2k1civic has a spectacular aura aboutDeception2k1civic has a spectacular aura aboutDeception2k1civic has a spectacular aura about
i say have them match ur front camber. i believe that is the reason why ur car is drifting left.
Old 03-19-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Deception2k1civic
i say have them match ur front camber. i believe that is the reason why ur car is drifting left.
Deceptions, if worse comes to worse, can i just go to your location? will your shop do it for free since i have the receipt. i went to the shop at Hanover Park.
Old 03-21-2006
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Da1lyDr1ver
i have a camber kit for the front and the back. i dont know exactly how much its lowered because i honestly turned the coilover rings until the car's height looked good.
here is a pic of the car:

the alignment specs are (in degrees):
FRONT LEFT:
Camber: -.3 - specified range: -.8 to .8
Caster: 2.4 - specified range: .6 to 2.6
Toe: 0.0 - specified range: -.12 to .12
Included Angle: 16.9

FRONT RIGHT
Camber: -1.4 - specified range: -.8 to .8
Caster: 2.0 - specified range: .6 to 2.6
Toe: -.02 - specified range: -.12 to .12
Included Angle: 16.3

FRONT:
Cross Camber: 1.1
Cross Caster: .5
Cross SAI: .5
Total Toe: -.02 - specified range: -.24 to .24

REAR LEFT:
Camber: -.7 - specified range: -1.5 to 0.0
Toe: .16 - specified range: .04 to .16

REAR RIGHT:
Camber: -.8 - specified range: -1.5 to 0.0
Toe: .14 - specified range: .04 to .16

REAR:
Cross Camber: 0.0
Total Toe: .30 - specified range: .08 to .31
Trust Angle: .01

According to the alignment printout, the green is within range and the red is out of range.
Right frt camber is to low and causing the pull to the left. Take it back to the alignment shop to either fix it or figure out whats bent not allowing it to come in to spec.
Old 03-21-2006
Registered!!

well, i brought it back to the shop today. needless to say they were pretty pissed that they had to work on my car again. they kept accusing me of lowering the car more and not jacking up at the correct spots. the front desk guy told me to take my car to a shop from now on to get it worked on. they said they were losing money by having to redo my alignment. thats total crap, do they expect me to not do anymore oil changes from now on???

when i got the alignmen specs back the front passanger side camber was -2.4 degrees and the passanger front and drivers side rear toe was off too (out of spec). just remember, my last alignment was only 2 freaking days before and all this crap went out of specs.
the car drives fine now, but i'm afraid of jacking up the car again. this sucks because i was planning on installing some new rotors/pads.

Last edited by Da1lyDr1ver; 03-22-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-22-2006
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Da1lyDr1ver
well, i brought it back to the shop today. needless to say they were pretty pissed that they had to work on my car again. they kept accusing me of lowering the car more and not jacking up at the correct spots. the front desk guy told me to take my car to a shop from now on to get it worked on. they said they were losing money by having to redo my alignment. thats total crap, do they expect me to not do anymore oil changes from now on???

when i got the alignmen specs back the front passanger side camber was -2.4 degrees and the passanger front and drivers side rear toe was off too (out of spec). just remember, my last alignment was only 2 freaking days before and all this crap went out of specs.
the car drives fine now, but i'm afraid of jacking up the car again. this sucks because i was planning on installing some new rotors/pads.
With tat much negative camber your tires will wear on the inner edge. And IMO i would take it to another shop. Any shop that is telling you that you jacked it improperly and this caused the alignmnet to change dont have a clue
Old 03-22-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Perhaps it's time to invest in a front camber kit.
Old 03-22-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TheSmuggler
Perhaps it's time to invest in a front camber kit.
i have SPC camber kits on all 4 corners...
Old 03-22-2006
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
WOW and your still maxing out? Something HAS to be bent.
Old 03-22-2006
Registered!!

well, for some reason, the technicians who worked on my car this time (actually about 5 guys worked on it together and it took close to 2 hours), were able to get the alignment within all the specifications. the first guy that did my alignment said he couldnt adjust it anymore and the camber was "maxed out". the first mechanic did say that room was very tight working on my car so i guess the other guy was just lazy or didnt know what he was doing?