Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

I'm gonna pimp slap the next person who asks if they need a camber kit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I'm gonna pimp slap the next person who asks if they need a camber kit.

For the love of god, stop asking. I thought 3 times a day was enough, apparently not. I suppose its better to educate yourselves before rather than later, but if you use the search function like you're supposed to, and you do your research before you spend upwards of $800 on a drop done right, then you should figure out in 5 minutes or less that YES YOU NEED A CAMBER KIT. For mild drops (less than 1.25") you probably don't, but you may opt for one just to be safe. I have a friend dropped on Pro-kits, no camber kits, and he's got nearly spec alignment numbers. Any lower, you probably want one if you value your tires. While toe kills tires more than camber does, you can only adjust toe so much (especially in the rear). Toe and Camber settings effect eachother, so you need to have the adjustability to get your toe to 0. In the front, your camber can be as much as -2.25 before your steering rods run out of travel, but -2.25 will probably do something to your tires.
Rear kits are a threaded adjustable length upper control arm. It bolts in with 3 bolts, 2 on the body, one on the back of the drum and you can adjust its length to control the angle of the wheel. This part is critical as the rear is far more prone to camber changes than the front (nature of a multi-link double wishbone). You need it. There's numerous kits available. SPC and Ingalls probably make the most inexpensive and widely used ones, they're $110-140 depending on the store... you can spend plenty more if you want, I've seen them go as high as $400 for JDM brand super adjustable (5 degree) arms, but they're unnecessary for basic adjustment. A normal range (+2/-3 degree) kit will take care of any reasonable drop.
Front kits... well 2 options. Camber or Crash Bolts that are smaller than the stock crash bolts give you additional range of motion by freeing space up in the knuckle hole to set the knuckle more upright. They're $20-30 bucks, but they have plenty of flaws. If you drive hard, they have a tendency to move and not hold their setting. As a result, frequent alignments (every few months) are a necessity. If you're looking at any sort of racing, I don't recommend them unless the rules specify that this is the only way you can change your camber. Honestly, if you can get your camber back to about -1.5 degrees or less without the use of camber bolts and still get 0 toe, I wouldn't even bother with the bolts.
Camber Plates are the better alternative. They replace the upper mount of the strut with a sliding bearing surface and the entire suspension angle changes from the top. This allows the use of stock crash bolts which hold their setting much better, it also provides a better reaction from the corner because the wheel is aligned with the suspension like its supposed to be (scrub radius unchanged). Plates run from about $200 to $400, there's a few available.
I don't think I missed anything.... if you have a question about anything that has been posted here or still do not understand, then post it IN THIS THREAD.
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
goodtimes is on a distinguished road
how hard is it to put on a front camber kit on an 03?
Old 03-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Take the top crash bolt out, put the camber bolt in, take it to the alignment shop.
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
? were is the crash bolt

thanks
Old 03-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Bottom of the strut
Old 03-28-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
When you lower your car, how does this affect the camber and toe on the front wheels?(Lets say you haven't installed camber bolts or plates)

I've read a few times that their is a degree of camber that wont' eat your tires? Is that true?
Old 03-28-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Front camber will go more negative but only slightly. Rear camber will get more negative than the front. Also, your toe will come in. Go look at the geometry and just picture what happens to the steering arm when the camber get more negative.

When making more negative camber, the toe will go in, when making more positive camber, the toe will go out. But it can be changed by using the tie rod.

Toe out will eat your tires more than camber.
Old 03-28-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
I can't seem to find a link to alignments. There was a nice outside information someone posted once. It was one of you suspension gurus that posted it.

muzhik that link was a good read.
Old 04-07-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
haha, after this was asked like 95-100 times at least, people still want more clarification. Just get a damn camber kit, figure out how to install it, its simple, dont ask how to install it, find the DIY on here if you must. Than go get an alignment, and your good to go. get an alignment every 6mo-1yr. I leave my camber set at -1 on the rears, it doesnt eat them up noticeably at all like -3 does. -1 is a good setting for a little extra grip on the road.

Heres a visual for people who dont know what camber is still. When you lower your car, your tires do this. Same thing when your shocks travel down.

// \\ << Negative camber (when you lower your car)
\\ // << Positive camber
l l l l << wow, they look good after a camber kit was installed and adjusted

You want to straighten them back up, like this l l l l. Got it good, lol

Last edited by 2K1Civic17"Gabe; 04-07-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2005
Registered!!

mystery is an unknown quantity at this point
where is a good place to purchase camber kits? one more question. say i get new suspension.. would i still want to get a camber kit? as of now. i know i need one cause not having a kit on. its eating the crap outta my tires. my rear tires are like this // \\.... it sucks.
Old 05-27-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
if i take my springs off, will the camber kit mess up the car? How do I align the camber kit once I install it?
Old 08-02-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
ok pimp slap me I've been a bad boy

HA! is there a kit that works better than another or will they all give you the same performance (camber kits) WTF? only one search every 30 seconds? I'm looking through the forums right now for a DIY on camber kits so I'm bearing my face for the slap, but anyways I'd like to know at least how long it'd take to put them on or a diagram or something of how they look on the car?
Old 08-02-2005

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I know you are new schroomster, but there are so many ways to find information. It takes about 1 hour if none of the bolts are frozen. If you are installing suspension, then install it all at once. Wait for the springs to settle (about a week or so) and get an alignment.

If you search the members rides rides you can find pictures

Hotchkis is probably the best designed but will cost you. SPC is the preferred one, followed by ingalls. They all do the same thing, but you have to worry about them "freezing up."

http://www.spcperformance.com/PerfTe...rojHon1_A.html

http://www.spcperformance.com/PerfPa...art_67230.html

http://www.specprod.com/PROD_DIR/PROD_PASSCAR.HTML

Last edited by robbclark1; 08-02-2005 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Originally Posted by robbclark1
I know you are new schroomster, but there are so many ways to find information. It takes about 1 hour if none of the bolts are frozen. If you are installing suspension, then install it all at once. Wait for the springs to settle (about a week or so) and get an alignment.

If you search the members rides rides you can find pictures

Hotchkis is probably the best designed but will cost you. SPC is the preferred one, followed by ingalls. They all do the same thing, but you have to worry about them "freezing up."
Thats the hotchkis difference. The barrel is 7075 T6 Aluminum... so you DO NOT have to worry about the barrel rustwelding itself to the ends of the arm, they know it, so they can charge you for it. The hotchkis arms are FAR less likely to jam on you than the others.
Old 08-23-2005
Registered!!

ohnoitssoysauce is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard that we only need a rear camber kit. is that true for 01
Old 08-24-2005

Originally Posted by ohnoitssoysauce
i heard that we only need a rear camber kit. is that true for 01
'Honestly, if you can get your camber back to about -1.5 degrees or less without the use of camber bolts and still get 0 toe, I wouldn't even bother with the bolts.'

read the post. There isn't active camber gain in the front, but it is just good to have the adjustability. Besides most of the sets come in a kit with front and rear.
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

Honda2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
are there different camber kits for 01-04 civics? depending if its an 01, 02, 03, or an 04? or is it 1 size fits all?
Old 10-03-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

1 size fits all rears. Theres 2 front sizes.
Old 10-03-2005
Registered!!

Honda2k4 is an unknown quantity at this point
14mm and 16mm?
Old 10-03-2005

Originally Posted by Honda2k4
14mm and 16mm?
yes, 14mm 01-02
16mm 03-05
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
I have some subs that have caused my camber to almost be in the red (honda dealership and they cant fix it any further) I need to bring the back up a litte b/c I dont like the negative camber on the rear. Any suggestions?

Kinda looks like ^. just not nearly as bad
Old 10-04-2005

Originally Posted by Kyle23
I have some subs that have caused my camber to almost be in the red (honda dealership and they cant fix it any further) I need to bring the back up a litte b/c I dont like the negative camber on the rear. Any suggestions?

Kinda looks like ^. just not nearly as bad
he has bags and using a camber kit would be pointless

IF you don't have a camber kit, get one. If you do have a camber kit, take it off and change the position of the arms to get more positive camber out of it.
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

truehonda has a spectacular aura abouttruehonda has a spectacular aura about
:cough: We have about 100 in stock :cough:

Seriously people. A $500+ of tires is not worth $150 not spent and having to buy new ones in about 2 months.
Old 10-05-2005
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
I was about to buy an Eibach Camber kit, its also aluminium, anyone here use it, or recomend it?

Also how much does th Hotchkis one cost?
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

Eibach is ok, Hotckis is expensive. Thats why we sell SPC, higher quality than eibach or equal and cheaper than hotchkis.

Eddie
Old 10-14-2005

Originally Posted by truehonda
Eibach is ok, Hotckis is expensive. Thats why we sell SPC, higher quality than eibach or equal and cheaper than hotchkis.

Eddie
Eibach is SPC. I hvae heard of people buying Eibach camber kits and getting SPC ones.
Old 10-14-2005
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
Taht odd, an auction on Ebay says theyre Alumimun, i thought SPC were steel...
Old 10-14-2005
Registered!!

They are similar because they are produced in same factory. In terms of quality, I like SPC because of their customer service which is part of quality to me.
Old 10-27-2005
People Eating Tasty Animals PETA

Gangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to allGangsta Dave is a name known to all
Originally Posted by truehonda

Eddie
I have spc on the rear and they work fine for me def worth buying. It actually makes the car look better imo. the wheels aren't all jacked lookin / \
Old 12-10-2005
Premium Member

jeffsta17 is an unknown quantity at this point
This thread is very helpful thanks guys!

Quick Reply: I'm gonna pimp slap the next person who asks if they need a camber kit.