Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

teins are installed - still having problems.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005
I log in from time to time
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
teins are installed - still having problems.

I got the basics installed by my local shop. Great guys to do business with, just one complaint that I think you suspension gurus may be able to help me with.

When I go over speed bumps, the rear of the car makes (what I believe to be) dust boot on spring perch noises. I don't know if that's the case though. When I asked the shop guys about it, they said that the problem I had asked them to fix (dust boot HITTING the springs?) was gone and that I should bring it back tomorrow if the noise that I have now is still present.

I got home about 30 minutes ago and I took a look-see at my rear suspension, and from what I can tell, the dust boot is definitely hitting the spring perch.

Pics of what I'm talking about:
passenger side rear:

drivers side rear:

I don't know if you can see it clearly or not, but the black part behind the springs is the dust boot, or that's what I like to call it. I told the shop to keep a 2 finger gap all around and that's what happened. Am I supposed to cut the boot or what? Is that even an option?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	basic pass rear.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	45861   Click image for larger version

Name:	basic drive rear.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	45862  

Last edited by infinite012; 01-28-2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-21-2005
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
same thing happened to me........went away after about 2-3 wks.
Old 01-21-2005

dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
So I just have to wait it out? Can't I cut that pesky dust boot or just not use it altogether?
Old 01-21-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by infinite012
So I just have to wait it out? Can't I cut that pesky dust boot or just not use it altogether?

most ppl cut it........i never cut mine
Old 01-21-2005

Thanks. I would give you rep, but the forum won't allow me

Is it time to update the sig, too?
Old 01-21-2005
Premium Member

Thanks. I would give you rep, but the forum won't allow me

Is it time to update the sig, too?

Old 01-21-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
I had to cut my dust boot because it starting making a VERY loud cracking noise. If you do cut it take off about an inch and a half off the dust boot and you should be good to go.

If the noise goes away then dont cut anything..
Old 01-21-2005

i'll take your word from it, mr. slammed n beautiful civic. lol. i'm taking the car back to the shop tomorrow morning.
Old 01-21-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
i'll take your word from it, mr. slammed n beautiful civic. lol. i'm taking the car back to the shop tomorrow morning.
thanks man.

i mean, you dont have to do it unless it is making the cracking noise..... it is better to leave the dust boot as is beacuse it gives some prtection. with my dust boot cut the area where the rod goes into the shock is exposed to dirt and dust..... so thats the bad part about cutting the boot.

but like i said, if it is making noise then get it cut..... its not that big of a deal either way you go.

good luck
Old 01-21-2005

it makes a sound, i can't really describe it in words (lost in translation, ya know?), but it sounds like the suspension is loose, as in the two bolts up top are not tightened. i tightened them down but i'm going to go with the dust boot. it can't possibly get that bad without it, can it? i mean, i drove my koni's without the dust boot and they're...fine for the most part
Old 01-21-2005
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
how's the ride quality?

does it feel stiff over speedbumps? or semi-smooth like stock suspension?
Old 01-21-2005

it's been way too long to know what a stock suspension feels like.
Old 01-22-2005
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
lol...good response! ^_^
Old 01-22-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by chocobo15_2000
how's the ride quality?

does it feel stiff over speedbumps? or semi-smooth like stock suspension?
i have the ss and they ride just like stock. The only difference is when i hit potholes or like on the interstate when there is a bridge and their is slight difference in height. It bobbles a little bit, but not that bad. The handling is supreme over stock.
Old 01-22-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civic01vtec
i have the ss and they ride just like stock. The only difference is when i hit potholes or like on the interstate when there is a bridge and their is slight difference in height. It bobbles a little bit, but not that bad. The handling is supreme over stock.
I wouldnt say they ride exactly like stock but the ride smoothness is hella close. I been in cars with BGs, sleeved coilover/shock combos and Teins ride soooo much better and smoother. To this day it is the best money I spent on my car.
Old 01-22-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by HustleLikeM0FO
I wouldnt say they ride exactly like stock but the ride smoothness is hella close. I been in cars with BGs, sleeved coilover/shock combos and Teins ride soooo much better and smoother. To this day it is the best money I spent on my car.

yeah, it isn't exactly like stock......but i love it. And yes........best mod on my car yet.......even over turbo
Old 01-22-2005
Bushido

MrWong is an unknown quantity at this point
The SS is a bit stiff than stock at mid setting, but to the untrained person there would be no difference.

However if you have it set at level 1 damping there is a difference.
Old 01-22-2005
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
at least ur tein fit.. my flex wouldnt fit in rear so monday ima go shove them up tein's ***
Old 01-22-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rijowysock
at least ur tein fit.. my flex wouldnt fit in rear so monday ima go shove them up tein's ***
i never heard of that before, you probably got a lemon
Old 01-27-2005

new problem has arose. i hit a bump in the road and my left rear suspension is now making all sorts of noises. it mainly sounds like a bolt came *almost* undone, and is now being hit with all sorts of parts. i think it may be the camber kit that got loose, but i have no way of checking.

i'm going to the shop on saturday to cut the bumpstops and to get this problem resolved. there goes more of my money.

Last edited by infinite012; 01-27-2005 at 03:37 PM. Reason: i cant type english
Old 01-27-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
Good luck with that
Old 01-27-2005
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by HustleLikeM0FO
i never heard of that before, you probably got a lemon

nah i got the first set.. so they say.. its common to have issues... they rely on consumers to tell them.. now their on their way back to friggin japan.. i told them just gimme 2 damn RSX bottoms and ill be good to go..
Old 01-28-2005

bump
Old 01-28-2005
Registered!!

i'm going to the shop on saturday to cut the bumpstops and to get this problem resolved. there goes more of my money.
no no no, DO NOT cust the bump stops. they are not causing the noise.

do me a favor, take a pic of the top part of the Teins from inside your car. open your trunk and pull back the carpeting so you can expose the suspension and take a picture of it.

if you said it sounds like somethign came loose then i think that rubber thing that goes around the rod might have popped out of that little metal boot.

just take a pic and post it.

also, it doesnt look lieky our dust boot got cut enough. it has to get cut to the rod that goes into the shock is exposed a little. did the boot get cut or not?
Old 01-28-2005

dust boot is not cut yet. as for the rubber...thing...no that has not popped out. i've had enough trouble with those rubber things with my koni's cause i didn't put a washer on top of them, so the rubber things would pop off whenever i went over bumps.

i'm thinking that the noise (rattling [sort of...] when going over bumps) is coming from the camber kit...like it somehow came loose on one of the larger grooves in the road.
Old 01-28-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
dust boot is not cut yet. as for the rubber...thing...no that has not popped out. i've had enough trouble with those rubber things with my koni's cause i didn't put a washer on top of them, so the rubber things would pop off whenever i went over bumps.

i'm thinking that the noise (rattling [sort of...] when going over bumps) is coming from the camber kit...like it somehow came loose on one of the larger grooves in the road.
Feel for ya, thats why if I can't do it It don't get done.
Old 01-28-2005
Registered!!

hmm. i guess the best thign to do would be to cut the dust boot and see what happens.
Old 01-28-2005
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
I really think your on the right track with the camber kit. Possible someone didn't tighten it up properly.
Old 01-29-2005

just got back from the shop. the camber kit was not the problem, and the noise is still there. the tech said that it may be a bushing from something (i didn't have $ for diagnosing the prob), more than likely it is a bad bushing on the control arm. he told me to ride it out, so i'm going to do just that. the sound isn't that bad anyways. it just happens on bumps like speed bumps or pot holes. he also re-installed, and fixed - missing a sleeve, the driver's rear tein and only charged $30 as opposed to the normal rate of $75
Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

Another option would be to spray a shitload of WD40 all over the suspension where its making noise. I remember a while ago my rear left Tein started squeeking so I took a some WD40 and sprayed liek half a can in there and the sound went away.

Quick Reply: teins are installed - still having problems.