Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

How do you adjust the front camber without camber plates?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
How do you adjust the front camber without camber plates?

There is a lower bolt or something that adjusts that right?
I had my car aligned and they used the camber plates, not the crash bolts, and now the plates are off the marked scale and I have no clue what to put them back to if I adjust them. I'm gonna take it back and make them fix it... but, which bolt do you move to change it assuming you have no plate?
Old 02-14-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I've been told to avoid crash bolt in performance applications, as they tend to not hold their settings under load.

But, right now this is what I would do. Set the camber plates to the Least negitive camber (As Positive as you can set them) setting, Take the thing back to the alignment shop and tell them to not touch the camber plates, but to adjust the camber with the crash bolts instead, once you get the camber adjusted Make sure you konw exactly how much -+ camber you have, then from there you can use the camber plates to dial in as much - camber as needed.
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

macrossranma is an unknown quantity at this point
damn, i still need to get mine fix, right now i have a bit positive camber for the front, the alignment told me thats the most negative i can go, i dotn believe them, but too cold and dirty to take off wheel to see these few months, anyone have this problem with their coilovers?
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

slowvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Are the bolt holes on the front struts slotted? If not, there is no more than .1 or .2 of a degree of camber adjustment available at that point without cam bolts.
Old 02-14-2004
Registered!!

macrossranma is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, the struts are slotted, but im not using camber bolts, still using stock bolts, is that why?but i thought since its slotted, camber bolts are useless
Old 02-14-2004
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
so the camber bolts are useless on our suspension? Do they come with a camber correction kit? please elaborate, sorry...but i want to make sure so i dont make my alignment worse when i lower on monday
Old 02-15-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
No they are not useless on our suspension. Before I had my drop when I got my car aligned, they could always get my car back within factory specs, but when I dropped the car, I went back for an alignment and when they tried to correct it, the front was out a little as well as the back. When you exchange the front bolt and rear arms, it makes a huge difference. They got my alignment so perfect on my car. Practically everything was at 0. But to answer your question no the stock bolts arent useless unless you drop your car a considerable amount. They help though to get a aftermarket kit. Yes your alignment will go out when you lower it on monday. Depending on how low you lower it will make a difference.
Old 02-15-2004
Chicks dig my scent

Ok thanks for the help. I'm loweing only 1.1" but proabably in a week or two im going to buy a camber kit...will the alignment shop put it on for me to correct the alignment so it wont be out as soon as i leave the parking lot?
Old 02-15-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Are you going to get the camber kit installed the same time you get your springs put on? Well most alignment shops will put it on for you, there are a select few who will refuse to put them on. You are looking to spend a good deal of money to get the camber kit put on by a shop unless you have the hookup. The shop that did my alignment charged $40 to put on the front camber bolts, and wanted to charge $150 to put on the rear arms. I ended up going to a race shop to get the rear arms put on. It was $80. All depends on people.
Old 02-15-2004
Addicted to the Twisties!

FattyMcJ will become famous soon enoughFattyMcJ will become famous soon enough
I paid $180 total to have my springs put on AND ALL FOUR CORNER camber kit's put on....after watching the guy....it's really not that hard, I even helped him on the rear end...lol.
Old 02-16-2004
Registered!!

I wish I could do my own ****, but I am so stupid. LOL
Old 02-20-2004
Chicks dig my scent

im gonna try my own camber kit...probably, i got the springs on looks good, but later ill put the kit on myself most likely
Old 02-20-2004
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
camber kit =easy as pie dont align urself tho. i got mine dropped 3.5 w/ perfect everyhting (i have front camber bolts and drilled the slot out a lil more so it's a double adjustment.(norm spc fronts adjust +/- 1.5 i think... my rears are awesome!

riley
Old 02-20-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Re: How do you adjust the front camber without camber plates?

Originally posted by Boilermaker1
There is a lower bolt or something that adjusts that right?
I had my car aligned and they used the camber plates, not the crash bolts, and now the plates are off the marked scale and I have no clue what to put them back to if I adjust them. I'm gonna take it back and make them fix it... but, which bolt do you move to change it assuming you have no plate?

There are two sets pinch bolts and nuts that hold the steering knuckle to the strut. When you install the front camber kit you replace the upper pinch bolt and nut with the crash bolt. When aligining, you loosen both sets, turn the top crash bolt which has an eccentric bump on it then tigthen everything once aligned.

What I'd do in your case is remove the crash bolts and put back in the stock bolt and nut. This way your back to the stock setting for the knuckle and strut, and the camber setting is now set using the slotted camber plates. From there you could either try aligning it your self now using the slotted camber plates, or take it in for alignment.