Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Neuspeed upper strut bar help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raul is an unknown quantity at this point
Neuspeed upper strut bar help

I recently purchased a Neuspeed upper strut bar off someone, but he only gave me the bar, no instructions or anything. I read a couple of threads and some say I have to jack up my car, but why?

I think I can figure out how to install it, but if anyone can post instructions, tips, warnings or anything about installing the bar I would appreciate it.

BTW I drive a 5 speed Si Canadian (EX in US I think) and I have goldlines springs in case you are wondering. Thanks
Old 01-21-2004
Registered!!

Deamon32 is an unknown quantity at this point
You are going to take off the outer two nuts from the two strut towers with a 14mm socket. Then on the passenger side put the strut bar on the bolts, and then on the drivers side. If the drivers side does not line up with the holes you need to jack up the drivers side untill the bolts line up. Then screw the nuts back on with 30 ft/lb of torque. Have fun.
Old 01-21-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Took me at least a half hour to get the bar on. No jacking up the car though. I just put one side in a little and used a hammer to gently tap the other side into place. Then the whole thing just fell into the holes. Don't expect to get it on in 5 mins like everyone says.

Last edited by gearbox; 01-21-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-21-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
It took me 5 min . No jacking the car up, didn't relocated the clutch resevoir, just moved it out of the way.
Old 01-21-2004
Registered!!

Took me 5 min, I had to jack up the car, because im sure its a lot easier and faster than using a hammer, since it took you 30 min to do...
Old 01-21-2004
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
I did what robbclark1 did
Old 01-21-2004
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
You dont have to jack up your car to put front strut bar.
Took more than 5 minutes to do.
Anyways installation is really easy. Hammer will do it
Originally posted by Deamon32
Then screw the nuts back on with 30 ft/lb of torque.
33Ft/lbs actually.
Old 01-21-2004
2003 Nissan Frontier

cryption should not be trusted
Originally posted by gearbox
Took me at least a half hour to get the bar on. No jacking up the car though. I just put one side in a little and used a hammer to gently tap the other side into place. Then the whole thing just fell into the holes. Don't expect to get it on in 5 mins like everyone says.

about what i got mine in ...
Old 01-21-2004
Registered!!

ya i didnt have the manual anymore, i knew it was something close to 30
Originally posted by civicvtec1ps
You dont have to jack up your car to put front strut bar.
Took more than 5 minutes to do.
Anyways installation is really easy. Hammer will do it

33Ft/lbs actually.
Old 01-21-2004
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by robbclark1
It took me 5 min . No jacking the car up, didn't relocated the clutch resevoir, just moved it out of the way.
me too!
Old 01-21-2004
Registered!!

Thanks a lot guys, I should be able to do it now. I will try the soft hammering method first, if it doesn't work I will have to jack up the car. About the reservoir, I will think of something when I pop up the hood.
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
instruction all there stuff is on neupspeed's website
Old 01-26-2004
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Raul
Thanks a lot guys, I should be able to do it now. I will try the soft hammering method first, if it doesn't work I will have to jack up the car. About the reservoir, I will think of something when I pop up the hood.
For the resoivoir, there is another hole about an inch down that the bracket holding it can be screwed into. It requires some slight bending of the bracket but doensn't affect performance.
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by clownprince
For the resoivoir, there is another hole about an inch down that the bracket holding it can be screwed into. It requires some slight bending of the bracket but doensn't affect performance.
Thanks but right now I am facing one tough problem, one of the nuts is super hard to untighten, now the nut is pretty damaged. I went to crappy tire to buy a set of Mastercraft Extract-it kit (is like a set of 5 sockets but they deal with damaged nuts/bolts) but they only had 8mm, 10 mm, 13 mm and I think 19mm;no 14mm! . I am so pissed off right now . I tried spraying DW-40 and still doesn't work. I will probably ask a friend see if he can untighten it. Any suggestion guys?
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

AznSaint is an unknown quantity at this point
didnt you use sockets to start off with? how did you damage the bolt?? it shouldnt of damaged it if you used a socket set?

maybe find someone with a drill set.. the machines that uses sockets.. im not sure of the exact terms
...like how a body shop uses that tool to untighten the bolts on the tires...
you can get that at wal-mart or canadian tire.
..or just return yout mastercraft extract-it kit.. and go to a shop and have them install it for 10 or 20bucks.... it will take them 5 mins. tops.
it's not worth it.. but they may have the tools to get your damaged bolt off. and whille they're at it, might as well install the strut bar and they may even have a brand new bolt lying around......

hope that helps.
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

i mean if ur trying to get a 14mm bolt off, u shouldnt use anything else but a 14mm socket.
Old 01-27-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by AznSaint
didnt you use sockets to start off with? how did you damage the bolt?? it shouldnt of damaged it if you used a socket set?

maybe find someone with a drill set.. the machines that uses sockets.. im not sure of the exact terms
...like how a body shop uses that tool to untighten the bolts on the tires...
you can get that at wal-mart or canadian tire.
..or just return yout mastercraft extract-it kit.. and go to a shop and have them install it for 10 or 20bucks.... it will take them 5 mins. tops.
it's not worth it.. but they may have the tools to get your damaged bolt off. and whille they're at it, might as well install the strut bar and they may even have a brand new bolt lying around......

hope that helps.
I did use a 14 mm socket, and 3 of the nuts worked fine. By the 4th nut, it was really really tight. The thing is, I wan't using a deep socket, so the socket was sort of sticking out, but I figured that if I could get 3 nuts off with that socket, the 4th one shouldn't be a problem.

I did buy a deep socket after a couple of tries, but it still doesn't work, I am guessing because is damaged now.Everytime I tried to untighten it I could get a good grip of the nut, but after applying a lot of force the socket would just turn around the nut. I

know the machine you are talking about, and yes I have been thinking of taking the car to the garage but only after one more attempt (yes, I am THAT stubborn). I am proably keeping the socket kit thing tho, it might become useful. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 01-27-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by Deamon32
i mean if ur trying to get a 14mm bolt off, u shouldnt use anything else but a 14mm socket.
Yeah, I didn't use anything else but a 14. I did try to see if the 13 one from the extract-it kit fits on the nut, just hoping I would be lucky, but didn't fit. So basically besides the 14 mm, I didn't even bother using other sockets. I guess the problem was I should have spent the money for the deep socket earlier
Old 01-27-2004
Registered!!

ic
it could be the pressure of the weight going down.... but i highly doubt it.
jack up your car... it may release some of the pressure.

but when i think of it.. the pressure is going down.. not up, b/c it's a bolt on top.
jack up your car to give it a try... maybe honda did something that ew dont know... o_O
Old 01-28-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by AznSaint
ic
it could be the pressure of the weight going down.... but i highly doubt it.
jack up your car... it may release some of the pressure.

but when i think of it.. the pressure is going down.. not up, b/c it's a bolt on top.
jack up your car to give it a try... maybe honda did something that ew dont know... o_O
Is ok now, I went to a body shop and they got it out in less than 1 min. The guy used some weird looking deep socket, I think it was a 13mm, and he used a hammer and hit the socket on the nut once, and the rest was a piece of cake.

But now there is another problem. I asked around and nobody carries that nut. I tried Canadian Tire, Lorco and Napa so far. The guy at Napa told me that a normal hex nut, a washer and a lock washer would do. Right now I replaced the damaged nut with another nut, washer and lock washer, but I think I will check the honda dealer for the exact nut, because I fear it will become a problem in the future. Damn it, I just wanna install a strut bar and all this **** comes out
Old 01-28-2004
Registered!!

honda should have it.. it's expensive though. could reach up to 10bucks for one.
Old 01-29-2004
Registered!!

Yeah I ordered two from Honda, costed me $8 something total. Hopefull I can finally install the stupid bar after 5 days of trying. Thanks a lot for your input AznSaint.