Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

air bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Willy is an unknown quantity at this point
it dont matter.
Old 01-22-2004
Registered!!

kyle is an unknown quantity at this point
*****, thanks for the pics the car looks awsome. what part of the bracket did you have to cut off in order to lay that low in the rear? also how much of a raise do you have with air is it about stock or higher?
Old 01-22-2004
Registered!!

Ohsosikcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
*****... looks hot,

can u tell us where u got everything and what exactly YOU DID GET!! thanx alot
Old 01-23-2004
Registered!!

FTK01CIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
i think that bags should only be for show cars... i heard the ride quality isnt that good... id go with some kind of full suspension setup.. which will give you a nice ride plus the height adjustability for everyday driving.
Old 01-23-2004
Registered!!

thanks for the comments guys. ok i have the air struts from AIM industries, front and back. when i first got the air struts the only problem i had was with the back. i still have not had any problems with the front except it would not go low enough. i bought the front back in may, and i drive my car every where. on the back i replaced an o-ring and that fixed the air leak. as far as the ride quality goes it ok but nothing great. i can substitue a bad ride so i can drag my car down the freeway. you ought to see my converter, its all smashed up. now in order to get my car as low as it is now it took some cutting but nothing that anyone couldnt do. before i cut my car you couldnt even tell i had bags thats why i cut it. ok the back strut mount has a bracket with a eye in the bottom of it unscrew the bracket off of the bottom of the strut bag.now find a bolt that will screw in side the mount. the inside of the mount is threaded all the way in. so if you cut some of it off it will give you like 2 or 3 inches more. but dont cut it to short. the bolt that you screwed in their is to keep the threads for messing up while you cut it. when you get threw just screw it back on the bottom of the strut bag and wolla your 3 inches lower and it didnt hurt a thing. you can tell more about it when its there in front of you. i cut mine with a cut of saw. now for the front its pretty easy. in order to make your car lower using a strut bag the strut has got to come up toward the tower. you cant bring down the bottom where the rotor is . the strut bag will hit the wheel. so take the factory strut mount take it apart ,its going to take some muscle you will see that you have 2 parts. one parts is going to have a green looking cup on it. you haft to take that off, again more muscle. knock out the 3 splined studs. now th part with hole in the bottom of it goes under the strut tower. put the indention of the mount facing upward. now find you some long bolts to go threw the bottom to the top. stick the bolts threw the bottom take the other piece of the strut mount and put it on top. the rubber bushing down. this is so the strut can still turn using the bearin that came with the air struts. now put some spacers up under the top strut mount i just uses some thick nuts. put a couple on each bolt and slide the bolt threw both mounts . then put you nuts on it and sug it up. then stick the rod on the strut bag assbly. threw the mount snug it down now tighten everything up. now the strut bolt is going to hit you hood. so take a die grinder a cut a little slot out of you hood supports, for the strut bolts more clearance. you cant tell with the hood down. fellas thats all i can tell you if you have problems let me know i will try to help. oh yeah,, the car will raise up above stock height in the front and back. later guys
Old 01-24-2004
The Legend

blackbullet will become famous soon enoughblackbullet will become famous soon enough
Looks nice *****. I really wanted air cylinders, but heard nothing but bad things about them for our cars. But you've had no problems so hmm.........maybe I'll switch the back out of mine. I have the air struts up front and air bags in the rear. About aim....everyone says they suck, and cheap, but 3 of my friends have them, and they've had no problems with them. They've had them for a while also. So I see no problems with them. They seem to be pretty good.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

TOOLOWCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
My friend has the airstrut from AIM for his 2000 contour and he has had no problems. Hes had them for a few months now. The only problem that he does have is that the front doesnt go low enough. The back tucks his 17s and the front doesnt. Hes actually workin on the front now to get it to go just as low as the back. It rides pretty good. I may even go with the AIM airstruts still undecided though.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

EvilGenius is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm. Brisland's won't fit in the rear, I don't care what anyone says unless Trey told you himself that they will fit, if he didn't, they don't. I have a fully custom setup that cost a little bit over what you guys are paying for these bolt on kits. I will have pictures sometime soon.

My rear is bagged, but has a custom bracket made where a toxic shock is mounted sideways, when the bag decompresses, the shock does so to, pushing down and folding. The car rides just like stock, unless it is too high or too low, but it rides fine for me.

8 Ground Control 1/2 Valves. Bags in the rear, Air Ride strut bags up front with custom mounts, Front bumper you can barely stick your finger between it and the ground. Nitrogen fed lines, with a back up compressor and a 5 Gallon tank. F,B,S,S and individual corners along with pancake. My rear lays flat on the ground, and i'm 1 1/2 inch away from the top lug nut on the rim. The front goes lower then anything i've ever seen on a 7thgen, and I'll soon be tubbing it, along with the rear.

I'm not really into honda's like most people on this site are, i indeed use to be, but not anymore, you can look in the My Ride section to see pictures, when it had racing seats and gun metal rims and a carbon fiber hood.. Now I'm on 18" Alba Banks, Fully Done Interrior, Air suspension, and going on this week I will be fully shaved along with trunk with a crooked frenched tag.

Anyways If you have any questions let me know, my AOL Screen name is "FREAKNLOW" so hit me up and let me know.. I'm contiplating on a uni-body drop. We're seeing if it will indeed work.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

Thats the way to do it bro. Where did u buy ur airstruts and can u post pics of the custom brackets they made?
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

EvilGenius is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I'll get em.
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

c-money is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, ok, because my body kit hangs to low with lowering springs and i have speed bumps on my road. i have to bag it before i boost it. so i am now back in the air ride decision making scene. hmmm
Old 01-27-2004
Registered!!

kyle is an unknown quantity at this point
cant wait to see these custom brackets and hopefully pics of the car dropped
Old 01-29-2004
Registered!!

johnnel is an unknown quantity at this point
Dam I did want air cylinders but I think I will wait and take my 2400.00 and get some 18" chrome spinners. This guy told me he could do a bolt on kit starting @ 1200.00 I think he was from bulldog he told me he has sold them for our cars befor. I have a 03 if I get air will it mess up my warrenty. Hay tolow how much did your lambo doors run I think after I get the spinners I will eather do air or lambo doors hit me up on aol instent messenger johnnel23 I'm always singed in.
Old 01-29-2004
Registered!!

michael_on_18s is an unknown quantity at this point
get some hydro's~!
Old 01-29-2004
Registered!!

johnnel is an unknown quantity at this point
I hate hydros plus thay ant my style
Old 01-29-2004
Registered!!

so what is the list of kits to choose from again??

aim
canover
brislands
????
Old 01-30-2004
Registered!!

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point
EAI has a kit I think
Old 02-02-2004
Registered!!

detroittosag has a little shameless behaviour in the past
this one shop told me that i could have a custom air strut kit.. fittings that wouldn't leak. for about 3,000.. i mean it can go as high as '18 inches up, slamed all the way down.. and 10 switches... is this a good deal??
Old 02-02-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
is that 3,000 installed ?

If so, it might little too high priced........you still are gonna have leaks no matter what unless you go through and check everything. But i think that is a little too high...i wouldn't pay more than $2,500
Old 02-02-2004
Registered!!

detroittosag has a little shameless behaviour in the past
yeah i thought the same thing.. but he swears up and down that i need two big air tanks, two compressors.. and some air struts.... and custom fittings... but raising the car 18 inches off the ground would look sweat though...
Old 02-02-2004
Registered!!

I have one tank im my trunk with one compressor and still have room for 2 10's and room for all my books/ bags and anything else for the day. With that tank i can lift and lower my car at every one of my stops for the day and not have to turn on my comp for like 3 days. You dont need a lot of extra things just keep it simple. Sometimes simple can be better and less stress but still do the job. You dont need 2 tank or 2 compressors.
Old 02-03-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by civic01vtec
is that 3,000 installed ?

If so, it might little too high priced........you still are gonna have leaks no matter what unless you go through and check everything. But i think that is a little too high...i wouldn't pay more than $2,500
just remember you get what you pay for, especially if it is gonna be a custom set up. which if i read correctly he said it was gonna be custom fabricated.

i dont think 3g's is that bad for a custom kit. research the shop, make sure they know wtf they are doin and remember no matter how good of an intall you have, you are bound to have a leak at point or another somewhere.
Old 02-03-2004
Registered!!

$3000 is a good price. I've been goin around to some of Houstons best shops and I've been told around $3700-$4000 some other shop quoted me a lil more. Just remember u get what u pay for. I would rather spend $4000 and get it done right then spend $2000 and have to keep getting stuff fixed or have to worry about getting stranded somewhere. My friend did his setup at this shop in Houston called Sun God Kustoms and he spent around $2500. They did a shitty job and within a month he was having all kinds of problems and leaks. Well after dealing with them he just went ahead and went to Chaotic and paid more but got it done right. Hes had his system for over 6 months now and still today he has no leaks. He had went out of town for a week and left his car fully raise when he came back it was still fully raised. Before he would raise it up and in about 1 hour it would be fully deflated. It can probably last about 2 weeks without it goin down but after that depending on the weather u will lose air but its not cus of leaks or anything. Anyways I've learned and hes learned to just go ahead and spend the extra money now cus its always cheaper and better in the long run.
Old 02-03-2004
Registered!!

civicnrims02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the easystreet air struts on my car. Been on their for 2 months. Great ride, but not that great for an daily driver. I'm going to sell mine if anybody is interrested.
Old 02-03-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
damn......shops around my area do it cheaper for a great job. I know at least 10 ppl with air/nitrogen and none of them paid more than $3,000.
Old 02-03-2004
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by EvilGenius
Front bumper you can barely stick your finger between it and the ground. Nitrogen fed lines, with a back up compressor and a 5 Gallon tank. F,B,S,S and individual corners along with pancake. My rear lays flat on the ground, and i'm 1 1/2 inch away from the top lug nut on the rim. The front goes lower then anything i've ever seen on a 7thgen, and I'll soon be tubbing it, along with the rear.
Woah.. woah woah.... hold up.. where have i been... you dont have a kit yet you can slam the front down to 1 finger away from the ground??? i'm going to need pictures for this... unless if you have really tiny a$$ tires, this is hard to believe. Our fronts cant go low at all. The lowest i've seen with air is probably 2-2.5" and your telling me your dropped down to like 6"? i'm guessing you gutted the fenders... what kind of struts are they again? they obviously would have to be really short compared to stock because we dont have much travel to begin with. You also have a problem with the steering arm being way too high. It would probably hit the chassis so therefor that would have to be modified and lowered as well. not saying that your lying but its really hard to believe you have the front slammed that low...
Old 02-04-2004
Registered!!

i agree with VNlilMAN thats some impressive numbers you have there.
Old 02-04-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by VNlilMAN
Woah.. woah woah.... hold up.. where have i been... you dont have a kit yet you can slam the front down to 1 finger away from the ground??? i'm going to need pictures for this... unless if you have really tiny a$$ tires, this is hard to believe. Our fronts cant go low at all. The lowest i've seen with air is probably 2-2.5" and your telling me your dropped down to like 6"? i'm guessing you gutted the fenders... what kind of struts are they again? they obviously would have to be really short compared to stock because we dont have much travel to begin with. You also have a problem with the steering arm being way too high. It would probably hit the chassis so therefor that would have to be modified and lowered as well. not saying that your lying but its really hard to believe you have the front slammed that low...

Not that it would make that much of a difference but he might have a body kit or lip kit. that could put hime like 2 - 4 inches closer to the ground. Then he could have stock steelies or some 15 in rims with low pro's too. That might do with a moderatly modified kit.
Old 02-04-2004
Registered!!

ok i agree with you 2. heres why. i have modified strut bags for aim on the rear. im as low as i can go with out cutting the fender wells and cutting some notches in my lower a arm and a notch in the upper side of the frame so the upper a- bar will have enough clearance to go up. so. i have 18 inch wheels and im a long way from getting 1 inch from the lugs. there is no way that this is possible with out tubbing it first. now the stock bumper still is not going lay the frame will hit first. as for the stock front it is possible but you haft to build your own strut. thats what im currently up to. i got a ball joint from a s10 welded it on a piece of pipe welded a bag bracket to the bottom of that and one on the bottom of the bag. welb some brackets on the bottom to put the bolts threw , make you a tie rod bracket so you can connect the rod to the strut. wola my car is currently in the process. right now im selling the rear strut bags and im putting s10 cups and firestone 2500 lbs bags in the rear, also cutting the fender wells and cutting the notches in my a arm and frame. i will post pics when im done with the construction. later ps. evil genious you must have some 13x7 inch spokes, what about those pics again???????
Old 02-04-2004
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
***** sounds like a nice setup.. cant wait to see pics..

Quick Reply: air bags