Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

air bags

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOOLOWCIVIC is an unknown quantity at this point
Airride Technologies kit is not out yet. They keep changing the release date. I remember a while back the release date was October 2001 we're in 03 and its still not out. They told me the kit is gonna be anywhere from $2600-$3200.
Old 12-09-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by slicksivik
im in king of prussia civic01vtec
oooohhhh......ur not that far from me, i am live near wilkes-barre.....about 1 hr north of u or so.

here is link from a shop that is in bloomsburg, not too far off of interstate 80. This is where i will be taking my car, they have a gallery of their work. E-mail them, the owner's name is Ross.

http://www.mobilewestonline.com/
Old 12-10-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by blackbullet
I paid$2300 for everything. Now don't get me wrong, I can still play around with my switches and everything. When I said I still have an air leak, it's really small. If my tank is full, then by overnight it will be almost empty. So it's not that big of a leak, but still noticeable. So basically everything is ok except the ride quality. As for the cylinders, I hear Brisland has the best. If I could go back in time, I would probably try them instead.
If u want the best ride with cyliners go with Canovers. Those are the best I've seen and they just ride super smooth and handle a lot better than any other airride I've ever seen or been in. Another good company that has top of the line stuff is Ground Zero but u gonna pay some money for them but u get what u pay for. Both of these companies have kits for our cars.

Last edited by TOOLOWCIVIC; 12-10-2003 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2003
The Legend

blackbullet will become famous soon enoughblackbullet will become famous soon enough
I'll look into that. Thanks David.
Old 12-12-2003
Registered!!

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point
I've have cylinders up front for almost a month now and i love it. I bought "spanky's" brisland cylinders from this site and they ride great. they tuck almost up to rim on 17's and lift a lot for cylinders. Bags lift a lot more but are hard to use up front from the macpherson strut design. I can lift and lower my front over a dozen times without running out of air (about 6 gal). Cylinders use a lot less air than bags do due to the smaller design. It only takes me about 15 seconds to fill my tank when it is full and lift it up to drive off. when empty it take over 5 i think. never timed that. I can turn corners way better than before when i had neuspeeds and somewhat blown shocks. they were going to go sooner or later. I also dont have any leaks in my setup. I was extra careful when tightening useing both teflon tape as well as pipe dope. Less connections means less chance for leaks.
Old 12-13-2003
Registered!!

detroittosag has a little shameless behaviour in the past
how much was that kit????
Old 12-13-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Cypher
I've have cylinders up front for almost a month now and i love it. I bought "spanky's" brisland cylinders from this site and they ride great. they tuck almost up to rim on 17's and lift a lot for cylinders. Bags lift a lot more but are hard to use up front from the macpherson strut design. I can lift and lower my front over a dozen times without running out of air (about 6 gal). Cylinders use a lot less air than bags do due to the smaller design. It only takes me about 15 seconds to fill my tank when it is full and lift it up to drive off. when empty it take over 5 i think. never timed that. I can turn corners way better than before when i had neuspeeds and somewhat blown shocks. they were going to go sooner or later. I also dont have any leaks in my setup. I was extra careful when tightening useing both teflon tape as well as pipe dope. Less connections means less chance for leaks.
U have any pics of how low ur car gos and what u have in back airstruts or just bags?
Old 12-13-2003
Registered!!

no i dont have pics i dont have a digi cam but i think "spanky" has pics from when he had them on his ride. I know he has a video floating aroung on this site of them. They were direct bolt on in the front. I dont although have the rear setup yet. Waiting on funds....I hope to also run some cylinders out back as well. Spanky cut me a great deal for those cylinders.
Old 12-15-2003
The Legend

blackbullet will become famous soon enoughblackbullet will become famous soon enough
You only have front right now???
Old 12-15-2003
Registered!!

Do those Brislands cylinders u have make any noise when driving like other cylinders or not? I heard there not supposed to make any noise.
Old 12-15-2003
Registered!!

yeah i only have the front...is there something wrong with that actually my cylinders do make noise when i go over continuous little bumps..like a thud thud thud with every little bump. But on the road and during turns it quiet. Even more so than with my springs that always bottomed out. I think its partly because of my 17's. The more air (stiffer ride) the more louder the thuds get...its hard to explain

I've also herd some good things about canovers as well. But they are damn expensive but of course worth every penny...just depends on what you want and how much you have to spend.

Last edited by Cypher; 12-15-2003 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2003
Registered!!

yeah i only have the front...is there something wrong with that actually my cylinders do make noise when i go over continuous little bumps..like a thud thud thud with every little bump. But on the road and during turns it quiet. Even more so than with my springs that always bottomed out. I think its partly because of my 17's. The more air (stiffer ride) the more louder the thuds get...its hard to explain

I've also herd some good things about canovers as well. But they are damn expensive but of course worth every penny...just depends on what you want and how much you have to spend.
Oh ok I know what u mean bro. Yeah canovers are by far the best cylinders and u dont have to worry about any noises with those. So do the Brislands ride pretty good?
Old 12-16-2003
Registered!!

detroittosag has a little shameless behaviour in the past
how much does all this cost though
Old 12-16-2003
Registered!!

HShadow is an unknown quantity at this point
I got the same kit as spanky did. However they gave me bags because cylinders keep breaking in the back when they tested them out. When spanky had his setup he had the cylinders in the front and the bags in the back. I have asked a number of people about this and all have told me that you can not put cylinders in the back. They will either not fit correctly or will break because they do not line up correctly for them to function right.

If you get air ride your going to lose traction, thus your going to go slower. Your ride will be great depending on how much air you have in your struts/bags/cylinders whatever, but you can have a nasty bumpy ride if they are too low, or a bouncy ride if they are too high. I use my car often but not a daily driver. Honestly I miss the traction because I have a heavy foot as well. But I do like the option of raising the car at the flick of a switch. It looks sweet espically if your showing off for women and stuff like that. But if your not willing to let go of your traction, I would spend the money and get the Tien Coilover setup.

As for leaking overnight and your tank empty, I do not have that problem. I have a small leak in the back but my tank does not empty. I know my friend who installed my kit put a pressure regulator on the tank to help keep that from happening. If that is not the problem, try using tape to help seal the leak from the connectors and valves. That works great.
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by HShadow
I got the same kit as spanky did. However they gave me bags because cylinders keep breaking in the back when they tested them out. When spanky had his setup he had the cylinders in the front and the bags in the back. I have asked a number of people about this and all have told me that you can not put cylinders in the back. They will either not fit correctly or will break because they do not line up correctly for them to function right.

If you get air ride your going to lose traction, thus your going to go slower. Your ride will be great depending on how much air you have in your struts/bags/cylinders whatever, but you can have a nasty bumpy ride if they are too low, or a bouncy ride if they are too high. I use my car often but not a daily driver. Honestly I miss the traction because I have a heavy foot as well. But I do like the option of raising the car at the flick of a switch. It looks sweet espically if your showing off for women and stuff like that. But if your not willing to let go of your traction, I would spend the money and get the Tien Coilover setup.

As for leaking overnight and your tank empty, I do not have that problem. I have a small leak in the back but my tank does not empty. I know my friend who installed my kit put a pressure regulator on the tank to help keep that from happening. If that is not the problem, try using tape to help seal the leak from the connectors and valves. That works great.
Do u have any pics of ur ride at the lowest setting?
Old 12-17-2003
Registered!!

so its not possible to use cylinders in the back ??? is this true for sure ? I hope to get the parts for the rear and make my own brakets since no company makes them. I might need to make bag brackets instead of cylinder brackets if this is true. Why wouldnt cylinders line up? Its the same with the stock shocks their both rigid straight rods.
Old 12-17-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
idk if that is true or not, but there are i think 1 or 2 members here that have rods on the rear.
Old 12-18-2003
Registered!!

HShadow is an unknown quantity at this point
You can do the rods. As for the cylinders, what I ment with them not able to line up is the cylinder hits the sleeve of the frame. You have your mounting spot at the top traveling down that is a void space basicly (that is the best I can describe it). Normally your spring and strut fit in that void. However they do not have the capability to raise up and down 4 inches or more. When the cylinders raise and lower they constantly rub or hit this sleeve. This cause them to break after a while and thus not making it able to use cylinders. Please someone correct me if I am wrong but this is what I was told by a number of people.

As for my height I do not have pic's to show that are vary clear but The back tucks almost half way between the top of my rim and the lug nut. I have 19's. The front tucks to the top of the rim. basicly the back just touched the floor and the front is about a 1/4 inch from the floor. Nice look when slammed.

Last edited by HShadow; 12-22-2003 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by *****
i have the aim bags front and rear. no probs with the front so far. the back leaked where it was sealed and i put new oring in it. so that fixed it. heres the prob it just didnt go low enough for me so i modified the front and rear brackets, now im draging every where. ive had the bags for about 7 months. all my eight valves are 1/2 inch, i have 2 6 gallon 8 port tanks. and 2 blow jax comp. if you do get the kit and you have probs let me know ill try tell you how to fix it.
Hey ***** u have any pics?
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

c-money is an unknown quantity at this point
so cylindars dont work in the back eh?

is this only for 7thgen's??

cause i have a buddy with a 2000 civic si with air cylindars in front and back. he hasnt had any problems in the 2-3 months he's had them. and it is a daily driver.
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

I just came back from talking to the guys at Chaotic in Tomball and they have already done 7thgens with cylinders front and back. From what they tell me they go very low in the front and back. So I think thats what Im gonna be goin with.
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by TOOLOWCIVIC
I just came back from talking to the guys at Chaotic in Tomball and they have already done 7thgens with cylinders front and back. From what they tell me they go very low in the front and back. So I think thats what Im gonna be goin with.

sweet, which kit did they use? and how much?

I am hearin that Excentrix Automotive Innovations has an outstanding air cylindar kit. has anyone heard of them?

http://www.excentrixauto.com
Old 01-05-2004
Registered!!

I've herd of EAI. They just recently changed over to Royal Blue cylinders and have herd that they use to sell parkers. Either way their cylinders look good but have read some bad things about them here - > http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Forum...M=False&S=True

They are saying that there is a design flaw in the cylinder causing them to snap under light conditions. The flaw is in the cylinder rod located at the ends of the thread where there is a very narrow point (used to tighten the rod threads with a wrench) It is a flat spot that is narrower than the rest of the remaining rod. This can easily snap with any force in side directions. They do although claim to have a full "bolt on" kit for the 7th gens though but not many here have it to voice their opinion. imp:
Old 01-06-2004
Registered!!

I've herd of EAI. They just recently changed over to Royal Blue cylinders and have herd that they use to sell parkers. Either way their cylinders look good but have read some bad things about them here - > http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Forum...M=False&S=True

They are saying that there is a design flaw in the cylinder causing them to snap under light conditions. The flaw is in the cylinder rod located at the ends of the thread where there is a very narrow point (used to tighten the rod threads with a wrench) It is a flat spot that is narrower than the rest of the remaining rod. This can easily snap with any force in side directions. They do although claim to have a full "bolt on" kit for the 7th gens though but not many here have it to voice their opinion. imp:
EAIs kit is not a direct bolt on and its not even cylinders. If u go to the hackshack website it shows cylinders in the pictures but there not. They are airstruts up front and bags in rear. Pm Blackbullet he has that kit. He said it wasnt straight bolt on and it was kinda hard to install.
Old 01-06-2004
Registered!!

so what is the best cylindar kit to get for our cars????
Old 01-07-2004
Registered!!

There really is no true good kit for our cars I believe. Some other company... I think air lift or someone is making some air struts specifcally for our car that bolt on but you still need to get the rest of the peices. With air ride its hard to find a true bolt on kit especially when the cars only been out for a few years. Best way to go is to a shop that does custom jobs. Or read up a lot on it in a different forum. I went to a different forum on air ride and hydro and asked my Q's there. Streetsource.com has a forum like this just for air ride and hydro Q's. Lots of people asking and giving info as well as companies trying to sell and advertise
Old 01-07-2004
Registered!!

There is a company here called Extensive. These guys were named the #1 place to get airride done. It was in a magazine I read. Cant remember which one. Well their located here in Houston and they have told me they could bag my car. They make their own kits and use bags or airstruts not cylinders. They told me that if I got my kit done their I would lay on the ground. They just charge so damn much but hey u get what u pay for. As far as best cylinders to go with u should go with Canovers. Those ride awesome and make no noise. Only problem is they are made in Japan and from what I hear there is only one distributor which is located in California. I also heard if u order u will have to wait like 6 months before u get ur kit.
Old 01-07-2004
Registered!!

do u know who the distributer for canovers in cali is?

or at least a website about canovers and there products IN ENGLISH??

thanx
Old 01-09-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by c-money
do u know who the distributer for canovers in cali is?

or at least a website about canovers and there products IN ENGLISH??

thanx
Nope the only site I know is in Japanese. I'll have to keep looking cus I know theres a site out there that can get em.l
Old 01-11-2004
Registered!!

Jamies697 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just to let anyone know about air ride. They built the 2k1 air bag/strut kit off my car last june and did an outstanding job. I'm suprised it is still not released but i supposed they have other stuff to deal with plus i was supposed to get back to them about ride quality that is one of their major concerns with the latest kits. I enjoy my kit quite a bit but just as previous people have said dont depend on it as an everyday or atleast in the winter because with the weather below zero here rite now not everything works like it should so mine is garaged. Also if you are still looking for and installer in michigan check out AirLift they are certified easy street installers. Fun hitting switches but not for everyday!

Quick Reply: air bags