Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

rsx sway bar vs stock ex sway bar....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
rsx sway bar vs stock ex sway bar....

those of you that dont think theres a difference...
i got news for u...
Old 11-05-2003
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Sweet. I was wondering how much different it was. . good picture.
Old 11-05-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
Oh yeah...thats what I'm screamin'
and if you have a dx/hx or '01 lx...it matters even more!
I've got it...HIGHLY recommend it. Best mod for the money!
Old 11-05-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
well i stripped my endlinks.. so im waiting for replacement endlinks... and i dont notice any real difference without it.. altho the body roll is a little more.. but not too much more
Old 11-05-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Better proof... put one end on the ground and lean on the other... figure out that the stock one is like a rubber band, and the other one barely twitches.
Old 11-05-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I calculated it out once, the RSX 19mm bar Vs my EX's old 15mm bar.....

the 19mm bar is 257% stronger......
Old 11-05-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

actually i think its 12mm
Old 11-05-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 2001, I'm pretty sure it came with a 15mm rear bar.
Old 11-05-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
01 02 has 12mm rear sway bar.
lx didnt have rear sway bar on 01
my si has 15mm rear sway bar.
and new si(2004) come with 17mn sway bar .

Last edited by civicvtec1ps; 11-05-2003 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

Okay, I did a little research on hondautomotiveparts.com and here are the results:
Civics: (all DX and '01 LX have no rear bar)
2001-12mm
2002-13mm
2003-12mm
2004-12mm

Si
2002-15mm
2003-15mm
2000-13mm (for comparison)

RSX Base and Type-S
2003-19mm

And a few others, just to fry your brain:
CRV-18mm
Element-21mm
Pilot-20mm
Prelude-23mm
S2000-27mm
Del Sol vtec-15mm
Accord Coupe 2004-13mm (wtf?)
Accord Sedan 2004 dx/lx 4 cyl-14mm
Accord Sedan 2004 lx/ex 6 cyl-13mm (wtf?)

The most interesting is the Accord bars. Doesn't make much sense to me. And before you try to refute my numbers, my sources were hondaautomotiveparts.com (for civics) and honda.com itself for the 2003/2004 models.
Old 11-06-2003
Autocross Junky

if thats right then the 19mm bar is actually 628% stronger......
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

Sickboy will become famous soon enoughSickboy will become famous soon enough
This is #1 on my Xmas list
Old 11-06-2003
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
If i wehre to the get a rsx for 01 lx and get the adapter kit from progress will it still hook properly.
I beleive it will just want some opinions.

Also does the RSX bar clear the exhaust nicely?

Last edited by PunkingCivic; 11-06-2003 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by PunkingCivic
If i wehre to the get a rsx for 01 lx and get the adapter kit from progress will it still hook properly.
I beleive it will just want some opinions.

Also does the RSX bar clear the exhaust nicely?
Yes and yes. I can't speak for aftermarket exhausts, but it fits around the stock exhaust fine. No rattles or anything on mine.

The progress mounting kit will give you all you need to mount a stock civic bar or the rsx bar. The only things you'll need is the bar, bushings and the bushing holders. You can get the holders at any Acura dealer and they're cheap.

Click THIS LINK for Grey's DIY on his '01 LX. He's installing the Progress bar, but the procedure is pretty much the same.
Old 11-06-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Your sway bar sucks. Mine is 150mm.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	8800swaybar.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	13429  
Old 11-06-2003

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Thanks Bells - love that sig get me LOLin' every time I see it.
Rerrr!

Ironfist is that your sway tow bar, sweet, LOL

Last edited by PunkingCivic; 11-06-2003 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2003
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
What's funny abou Bellz sig?
Old 11-06-2003

My bad I meant to type AVATAR
the dameaner of the cat in the in the pic is funny
it is pissed or was scared at the time the pic was taken.
Old 11-06-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
my rear progress 22mm is real nice, i should have gotten the mugen 25mm, and my front 27mm progress is even nicer
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
I plan on getting the mugen bar, I hope it's not too stiff since I don't want ot kill myself...but I suppose I should start driving like a sane person.....
Old 11-06-2003
Autocross Junky

Originally posted by Renamazazo
I plan on getting the mugen bar, I hope it's not too stiff since I don't want ot kill myself...but I suppose I should start driving like a sane person.....
you'll just have to be aware of a couple of things.
1. the *** end will want to come around on you MUCH sooner
2. when it does, The absolut WORST thing you can do is lift off the throttle.
Old 11-06-2003
Registered!!

DogstyleEX is an unknown quantity at this point
just curious... if you don't lift off the throttle.. what should you do?
Old 11-07-2003
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
hold on for dear life...
Old 11-07-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

Originally posted by DogstyleEX
just curious... if you don't lift off the throttle.. what should you do?
you shouldnt be driving if you dont know what will happen... or how you should respond to what is happening...
Old 11-07-2003
Registered!!

DroppIN808 is an unknown quantity at this point
^^ LOL *hanging on*
Old 11-07-2003
Autocross Junky

Basic handling dynamics:

Problem: car is oversteering in a turn
Cause: To little weight is on the rear tires (Weight = Traction)
Solution: 1. add more throttle (Causes weight to transfer to the rear = More rear tire traction) Note that this only works with FWD cars.
OR
2. Slowly ease off the throttle untill car stabilizes. (this is what RWD car drivers do)

Simple.

If you were to lift of the gas when the car is oversteering (FWD) then the car would mostlikely oversteer more and possibly spin.......Reason being is that when you lift off the gas the engine acts like a big brake (Engine braking anyone?) that works on the front tires only. so weight gets transfered to the front and the rear tires lose even more traction.

This video illistrates my point exactly (I konw its from another post)

Here, the driver did exatly the wrong thing. He gets the car to fishtail, and then rather the adding some gas to stabilize the rear end, he stabs the brakes and causes more oversteer and then again wich ultimatly ends up spining the car. 100% driver error.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 11-07-2003 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-07-2003
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
It shifts the weight to the back, plus with FWD cars, if you step on the throttle the front wheels will grip the road and pull the back straight again, or at least that is the idea.
Old 11-07-2003
Registered!!

AznSaint is an unknown quantity at this point
damn.....

so in the video clip, that guy lost control because he had no traction in his rear wheels?
..from swerving back to left.. and by doing that, he started to lose control..?
or b/c after he swerved to the left.. he tried to swerve back to the right by trying to get back in a strsight line b/c he might of noticed the truck on this left side.....

... or, that guy that lost control... he could of gained back control if he just kept his feet on the gas pedal while trying to hold on to the steering wheel.....?

or was it just that his suspension upgrades werent good enough or a mis-match.
Old 11-07-2003
Registered!!

AznSaint is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by robbclark1
It shifts the weight to the back, plus with FWD cars, if you step on the throttle the front wheels will grip the road and pull the back straight again, or at least that is the idea.

so then, b/c that guy in the video.. he ditn try to accelerate again.. that 'caused him to lose control>? 'cause the weight wsa not balanced when swerving to avoid the car.
Old 11-07-2003
Autocross Junky

More or less, when he first swerved to miss the car on the right he hit the brakes and Yanks the wheel Left, causing a bit of oversteer. He countersteers (Good) but rather then adding some gas to stabilize the rear he stabs the brake. This causes the assend to lose more traction, and because he countersteered the assend now whips around the other direction (More oversteer). Having the car oversteer (Fish tail) a second time the guy probably freaked out and he hits the brakes again and countersteers more = more oversteer in the oposit direction, ultimatly leading to a spin.

If on the first fish tail, he added gas rather then hitting the brakes the car would have stabilized and the car would have never spun.

and No suspension mods can counter user error. If any thing, the more finly tuned to racing your suspension is, the less forgiving it will be. So you'll need to pay more attention to what you are doing and how you are driving. Just like when Renamazazo gets that Mugen bar he's going to need to drive differently/pay more attention to how hes driving because the car is going to want to oversteer more often.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 11-07-2003 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: rsx sway bar vs stock ex sway bar....