Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

replace caliper, over torque bleed valve, found thin layer of fluid around thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hiac is an unknown quantity at this point
replace caliper, over torque bleed valve, found thin layer of fluid around thread

Hello,

I replaced caliper. At end of bleeding the brake, I close the valve and still see some small amount of fluid from the hole when push the pedal. So I tighten more but feel I might over torque it. I understand the spec should be around 7 ft-lb. My best guesstimating is that I might apply ~15 but I am not certain. after that, I push the pedal to floor, no more fluid from the hole (so I close it with the rubber cap, from my old caliper). Then around the valve thread I saw tiny bit of fluid emerge (seeping), it never accumulate to a point to start to flow, just a thin layer of liquid.

Here is what I am going to do
1) I am going to monitor the brake fluid level daily
2) within a week, i am going to take off the wheel and see if it get worse.
Any sign I should look for while driving?

My concern is that
1) the corrosive nature of fluid,
2) air might get into the fluid from bleeding valve
3) over the time if the leak lead to lost of fluid I might get trouble unexpectedly on the road.

For peace of mind:
1) Should I purchase a new bleed valve, provided the caliper seating is not damaged? my understanding the caliper is cast iron, and bleed valve is aluminum?

2) if the new valve doesn't stop the bleeding, I may go ahead to bite the bullet to buy a new caliper. $50 is no a big deal, just the time spent on it sucks.
or
3) just leave as is if the brake continue to function, and fluid level is level.

I appreciate your feedback!
Thank you!
Old 10-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: replace caliper, over torque bleed valve, found thin layer of fluid around thread

Start the car, while parked, mash down on the brake pedal with both feet and hopefully hold it down for over 30 seconds.
If the pedal drops to the floor you have a problem.
Get out and check the caliper, if it has seeped enough to make a drop you have a problem.

Definately the bleeder itself is a simple replace, as you said it’s softer than the caliper and it’s normal function is to deform under pressure to seal tightly. Once deformed too hard or too often it can lose that ability.
Old 10-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: replace caliper, over torque bleed valve, found thin layer of fluid around thread

The hole in the center of the bleeder usually tilts upward, it will not drain out fluid by itself. Ignore it.
Put the rubber cap back on it.

Brake fluid will harm paint but not much else in the area.
Rinse the areas where brake fluid spilled with plain water.

Drive it for a few days. Everything should be dry by that time.
Recheck for fresh leak evidence when you have time to crawl under the car and look.

Leaking brake fluid won't dry.
Old 10-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hiac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
The hole in the center of the bleeder usually tilts upward, it will not drain out fluid by itself. Ignore it.
Put the rubber cap back on it.

Brake fluid will harm paint but not much else in the area.
Rinse the areas where brake fluid spilled with plain water.

Drive it for a few days. Everything should be dry by that time.
Recheck for fresh leak evidence when you have time to crawl under the car and look.

Leaking brake fluid won't dry.
Hey ezone, I know you will come to rescue

Thank you very much, I will double check in a few days.