Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Rota Wheels....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDMUSCLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Rota Wheels....

Gents, please post up pics of your 7th gen sedan with Rota wheels.... I am looking to get a set of wheels for my car and I am lost with the choices out there and cant make up my mind.

FYI... I have an 03 EX sedan in silver..

Thank you much in advance for your help
Old 04-12-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rota Wheels....

Lovely thread that's been stickied in the "members ride" section...
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...your-ride.html

Over 900 responses. Enjoy.

Also, there are many websites (tirerack.com, for example) that can show what rims look like on your car.

I haven't heard of "Rota" before (that doesn't say a whole lot) but if you're going for just looks, I wouldn't stick to any particular brand of wheel.

For silver, you can go with pretty much any color. Personally I'd go with white, but that's just me.
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough

@Zeferint rota makes replica wheels of very famous wheels. rota grids look like te37s, rota track-r looks like sprint hart cp-r and the list goes on.

@JDmuscle rims dont look that great on our cars if we are on stock ride height so take that into consideration if you are not lowered yet.
Old 04-12-2011
Autocross Padawan

Zeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of lightZeferint is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 2005civiclx
@Zeferint rota makes replica wheels of very famous wheels. rota grids look like te37s, rota track-r looks like sprint hart cp-r and the list goes on.
Wow, sweet. I'll have to check that out.

Still, check out the members ride thread I linked and you'll get an idea of what members here did and maybe you'll see something you like.
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

Thank you for the feedback gents... I am considering to lower the car... possibly on the Tanabe DF210 springs.

I used to be in the Civic scene back in the days with a EG w/H22A swap, but that has been 10 years ago and dont realy know what is good for these cars out there in terms of

- Suspension
- Subtle body mods (lips, spoiler etc)

I guess I will have to hang out here a while to get accustomed to the civic scene again...
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

thefatalepic is an unknown quantity at this point

Rota grids are nice.. I'm planning on getting black and red ones for my black 4dr. The Volk TE37 are even nicer but I'm not going to spend over 2k for rims to put on a car that cost me 3k with a high chance that I'm going to damage one in the near future. I'll settle for the knock-offs...
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by thefatalepic
Rota grids are nice.. I'm planning on getting black and red ones for my black 4dr. The Volk TE37 are even nicer but I'm not going to spend over 2k for rims to put on a car that cost me 3k with a high chance that I'm going to damage one in the near future. I'll settle for the knock-offs...
I was thinking of the same... I just cant find any good pics of a 7th gen sedan with them....

By the way what size are going with? what is the offset I should consider... I am thinking of lowering the car with Tanabe DF210s. Last thing I want is rubbing issues... I daily drive this car.
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough2005civiclx is a jewel in the rough

17X7 is a good size to go with. some people go with 17X7.5. for tire size you dont want to go over 215/40/17 or you'll rub and for offset around a +40 offset is good and wont cause any issues.
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

Rota grids are 17x7.5 +45 offset.. I don't know what any of this means...
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 2005civiclx
17X7 is a good size to go with. some people go with 17X7.5. for tire size you dont want to go over 215/40/17 or you'll rub and for offset around a +40 offset is good and wont cause any issues.
Thank you much, I will shop around using those specs... As for lowering the car, what do you most of you guys go with? I used H&Rs on my previous civic... I'm primarily looking for a nice drop without scraping all over the place... I believe a 2inch drop is good... Please advise!!
Old 04-12-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Where do you live again? It could change the recommendations for suspension.
Also, Maxtierney was using 19" in his car and dropped.
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
qijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to all

there's no springs out there that can cause you to be scraping everywhere. Lowering it 2 inches is pretty good. But do the research before you buy anything because for example...the manufacture may say 2 inch drop f/r but the rears may sag and cause your 4 door to look like a POS. So ask around and search search search (:
Old 04-12-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

true that, the sedan is butt-heavy, and the springs are designed mostly for coupes (also depend on the sound system you have in the trunk )

But Qijian, you are in cali, i am in QC - winter the roads are... taller... I was unbending the exhaust one day for a reason...

Last edited by sdaidoji; 04-12-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-12-2011
Registered!!

I'm in NY... Well I would love the rake with the front lower than the rears. No sound system and it will remain that way!!! Thanks for links... I will start reading up...

Appreciate all the help and info, if you guys ever get a Z06 or a Supra I can offer a ton of help...

Last edited by JDMUSCLE; 04-12-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

Anyone know anything about the quality of Rota Wheels? I'm looking into getting them myself but I see a lot of comments about them being cheaply manufactured Filipino wheels. I just want something cheap (inexpensive, not low in quality), light, and durable. I'm figuring all the hate on Rota comes from people with who spent ~2.5k on a set of real Volks... which in that case would be fine with me because I would be an idiot to put real Volk Wheels on my Civic.

EDIT: I know knock-offs are never going to be AS GOOD as the originals.. but if Rota are indeed that bad I could look at a different brand like Enkei maybe.
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

I personally had Rotas in my previous civic back in 02 and didnt have any issues with them. I could only imagine that quality and durability has gotten better over the past ten years.

I guess most people complain about them since they spent way more on the real stuff and hate on the people that have the knock offs. Which is understandable.

I see it as having a decent looking set of wheels on your car for a fraction of a price. Then again how many of us really put our cars to the extreme to notice the slight difference in the weight between the real ones and the knock offs??

Im shopping wheels for my daily driver that I will be parking everywhere, last thing I want is to baby sit this car like I do with my Supra and Z06.... so I dont mind having knock offs on this car!!!
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

all the comments on how cheaply made rotas are were when they first came out. the quality of rotas is a lot better now.
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

Thanks JDMUSCLE and Muirsy, just restored my faith in Rotas, Lol...

Can anyone explain the offset thing, if the number is higher the wheels stick out less or more? I was looking at a diagram but didn't get it..
Old 04-13-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

lower goes out, higher wheel goes in
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

I feel the waves of enlightenment rushing over me as I read sdaidoji's post.

So... if 43mm offset is recommended, but +45 is ok... is there such a thing as "too high" an offset? what would it do?
Old 04-13-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

depending on tire size, it will start rubbing in the suspension components
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by thefatalepic
Thanks JDMUSCLE and Muirsy, just restored my faith in Rotas, Lol...

Can anyone explain the offset thing, if the number is higher the wheels stick out less or more? I was looking at a diagram but didn't get it..
For example:

Supras takes very high offsets.. My rear wheel is like a +50 and it's 11.5inch wide. My lip is only about 3 inch wide... Rest of the wheel is behind the hub!!

A 350Z takes low offsets... A 11.5 inch wide rear wheel with a +20 offset will have a 6inch lip... Only half of the wheel is behind the hub.

Hope this gives you an idea..
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

ROTA,SPORTMAX,AXIS and so on make knockoffs but tons of people have them and love them not everybodycan afford 3,000 volks and why wouldyou want to on a daily driven civic ??. if you want really good prices on rota wheels check here http://www.jlbmotorsports.com/
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

Muirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the roughMuirsy is a jewel in the rough

another good site is 18racing.com
Old 04-13-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Muirsy
another good site is 18racing.com
http://18racing.com/wheel_beat.html

Lol these are amazing bahaha
Old 04-13-2011
Registered!!

^ id rock them.......

not
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Shift-E

i believe those are old school mugen-CF knockoffs. but the cheery blossoms are actually really nice and good offsets for rota to bad they don't come in 16s http://18racing.com/wheel_aleica.html

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-14-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Shift-E

Holy **** I didn't know TRON made wheels...

EDIT:
Originally Posted by lowlife9
i believe those are old school mugen-CF knockoffs. but the cheery blossoms are actually really nice and good offsets for rota to bad they don't come in 16s http://18racing.com/wheel_aleica.html
Holy crap Barbie is in the wheel business too? I wouldn't be surprised if I walked into Toys R Us and saw those wheels.

No offense.

Last edited by thefatalepic; 04-14-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
depending on tire size, it will start rubbing in the suspension components
Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
For example:

Supras takes very high offsets.. My rear wheel is like a +50 and it's 11.5inch wide. My lip is only about 3 inch wide... Rest of the wheel is behind the hub!!

A 350Z takes low offsets... A 11.5 inch wide rear wheel with a +20 offset will have a 6inch lip... Only half of the wheel is behind the hub.

Hope this gives you an idea..
Thanks to the both of you I FINALLY get it.. lol.. I think enough were I can actually explain this to someone who doesn't know. I've only been a member of CivicForums for a short while and I've learned a million things.
Old 04-14-2011
Registered!!

weezywestJDM is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone got sum rota slips???

Quick Reply: Rota Wheels....