Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Tire Pressure for storing rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Tire Pressure for storing rims

Well they have been cleaned up and ready to put back in the boxes for the winter. Should I leave them at whatever they are at? My steelies had been sitting for 2 yrs and had like 15psi in them before I put air in them so was just curious or if it mattered.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2004
Registered!!

stlblues13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good question. I just took my 17s off last night and put my steelies back on. Supposed to snow here today and didn't want salt on them. I just stored them at 30-32, but maybe that isn't right. Does it matter?
Old 11-24-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Its better to let a couple pounds out while they sit... but I don't think it makes too much difference.
Old 11-24-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
The issue with storing tires isnt about Tire PSI, but rather exposure to O2.... Oxygen is a fairly corosive element. So if you intend on storing tires for a long time, I highly recomend wraping them in heavy plastic bags.
Old 11-24-2004
Registered!!

stlblues13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Done and done. The cooler air lets the psi drop and they are in heavy plastic bags. Thanks for the input!
Old 11-26-2004
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep I picked up some of those heavy plastic bags back 2 years ago when I had the steelies stored. They're all wrapped up and in the boxes my rims got shipped in. Thanks for the information.