Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

directional hum?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
liquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trusted
directional hum?

i have my car at the dealership right now, there several issues, but one of them is a humming noise comming from he rear when i'm going 30+ mph. the honda guy told me it's because of directional tires and they start to make that noise after a while.

my problem, however, is that i had directional tires on my old civic, they were the stock size, but they were worn more than these and made no noise. i need to know if this guy is right and buying new tires would fix the problem, or if it's the bearings like what happened to my friend's 99 civic. has anybody heard of or experianced this humming noise from their car? any comments are appreciated.
Old 05-31-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Some tires as they start to wear, will make a humming noise... Pirelli tires are notorious for this. How many miles do you have on them and what are they?
Old 05-31-2003

liquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trusted
they're pretty old, i don't know how many miles they have. i guess if you say it happens, then they're probably the cause becaues of how old they are.

thanks for the quick response, now i'm off to buy some new yokohama avs es100's
Old 05-31-2003
Master

CivicBR900EX is an unknown quantity at this point
look at the thread wear.....give you some idea. Falken are great tires. My friends Yokohama Parada in 215/40-17 makes noises on his 2001 coupe ex too. But my previous Parada in 215/40-18 didn't, I just don't like the traction on it.
Old 05-31-2003

i hated the falken tires that came on the car. brand new and couldn't grip the road for a damn. i have parada spec II's on the front, and i just bot the avs' for the rear.

as it turns out, i was right. it was the wheel bearings. they didn't have them in stock, so i have to bring it back next friday to get both rear bearings replaced. all under warrenty. i needed new tires anyway, just more motivation to get them.