Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Tires Cost So Much, Might As Well Get New Rims And Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003
All Show No Go Sedan

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aznnp77 will become famous soon enoughAznnp77 will become famous soon enough
Tires Cost So Much, Might As Well Get New Rims And Tires

I just got a set of used rims back in August, $500 picked up with what looked like 90-95% tread left. I've only put about 12,000 miles on them, and all 4 are pretty bald now. The price of a reasonable tire such as a Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712 is $100 shipped. If I buy all 4, then that would cost $400 for tires alone. Then I would have to get them mounted and balanced at a tire shop and spend like another $50. I like my rims, but sometimes I think it would be better just to go on wheelmax and get 4 new wheels and tires already mounted and balanced for like $600. I've seen some 17" Tenzo Shu imitations for as low as $550 shipped. Well for now though, I desperately only need 1 tire, so I ended up buying a Hangook Ventus H rated tire to go along with my bald Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712 Z rated tires. Hope this doesn't cause too much of a problem, but I can't afford to drop another $340 to buy 4 new tires after only driving 12,000 miles!
Old 05-14-2003
All Eyes On Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Stay away from Kumho Ecsta Supras. Those are cheap, but they are hype. There are better tires for the same price and better tires worth paying a lil' bit more for.

If you have to replace 1 tire, you should NOT put a completely different tire on the car. You could negatively affect the characteristics of your car's traction/steering especially when in extreme conditions. Bad move. It's alright for a short period but I hope you don't stay on that tire for too long.
Old 05-15-2003
Master

CivicBR900EX is an unknown quantity at this point
I had Kumho Ecsta, Yokohama Parada, Toyo, and now Falken ZX512. In my opinion, Kumho aren't bad tires at all (I had Ecsta Supras in 17s and 18s). They are decent for the price, very durable and reliable.
Old 05-15-2003
I Queef > You

sKwiD is on a distinguished road
12,000 miles? Damn, did you ever rotate them every 6,000 or so? Did you peel out in them a lot? I remember you saying that you bought them, but that wasn't too long ago. I've had my rims and tires since August, '02. Now I have about 10K miles on them and they're still pretty good to me... I remember you saying something about the PSI level and how you didn't get traction in the rain, are you still running high PSI on your tires?
Old 05-15-2003
Master

CivicBR900EX is an unknown quantity at this point
you can only swap front tires to the back on the same side, can't do cross rotation.
Old 05-15-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
you shoould get some SO3's but they are pricy, but the best tire out there
Old 05-15-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Well your choices are to invest in some decient tires, or get another set of **** tires on a set of **** rims.... $650 for 17's with tires isn't gonna buy you quality anything... You could spend $650 for 17" tires alone if you wanted to. I would keep the rims you have, and spend $400-500 on a set of good tires. Tires are the most important thing on the car... they're the only thing touching the road. Depends how you drive... for stickyness... Potenza SO3s are about as good as they get, but they're expensive and on the heavier end of tires. Michelin Pilots are also good and the reviews on the Goodyear Eagle F1-D3 are good too. Potenza RE950s are about as good as all seasons come, they're only about $130 each. Yokohamas are always good tires, so are BFGs, Falken makes decient tires... go to tirerack.com or tires.com or something and look at whats out there... Tire Rack also has customer reviews of the tires which can be helpful.
Old 05-16-2003
All Show No Go Sedan

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aznnp77 will become famous soon enoughAznnp77 will become famous soon enough
I had my Hangook Ventus tire put on yesterday. Definitely feel more stickyness to the road, but I'm getting a lot of understeer DOH. I'm waiting on a guy at a tire place near my house. He can apparently get me 4 Toyo Proxe Z4 tires with 70% tread on them left for $140 mounted and balanced. It's been a long time since he made me that offer though, and I agreed, but he hasn't been able to find them nevertheless. I'm gonna give him a lil bit, but until then I'm gonna have to ride like this.
Old 05-16-2003
Registered!!

2k2civicRAY is an unknown quantity at this point
My kumhos lasted about 16k miles. I have falkens now and they were 500 but that includes the cost of having them put on and then having the car realigned. But still 300 more and I could have a different set of rims and all. I know how you feel bro.
Old 05-17-2003
Registered!!

BigDaddyHonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Boilermaker1
Well your choices are to invest in some decient tires, or get another set of **** tires on a set of **** rims.... $650 for 17's with tires isn't gonna buy you quality anything... You could spend $650 for 17" tires alone if you wanted to. I would keep the rims you have, and spend $400-500 on a set of good tires. Tires are the most important thing on the car... they're the only thing touching the road. Depends how you drive... for stickyness... Potenza SO3s are about as good as they get, but they're expensive and on the heavier end of tires. Michelin Pilots are also good and the reviews on the Goodyear Eagle F1-D3 are good too. Potenza RE950s are about as good as all seasons come, they're only about $130 each. Yokohamas are always good tires, so are BFGs, Falken makes decient tires... go to tirerack.com or tires.com or something and look at whats out there... Tire Rack also has customer reviews of the tires which can be helpful.
This should be the standard answer to "What is a good tire?" every time it is asked It depends on how you drive and how much money you are willing to spend.

In the meantime, Aznnp77 since you have gone ahead with your original plan, I hope the one Hankook does okay for you and the dude can still get you the Toyos....
Old 05-17-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
i had my 18's with 225/40 kumho supra 712 on for about 10,000 miles and it looked like i still had about 85 percent tread left... well i never spun my tires.... but i drove like a maniac... so if you treat the tires right, they should last you almost forever...

and if you spin your tires alot, i don't want to hear you biatch that your tires don't last that long.
Old 05-19-2003
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
"Forever" for a performance tire is a huge exaggeration compared to how long a car could last.
Old 05-19-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
How you dirve has a great influence on how long your tires will last. an example of this is... I have a set of "Race" tires that I use Exclusively for autocross. They are DOT legal Falken Azenis sports with a tread wear of 200. on the street they should last around 10,000 miles. on the track (autocross) they will last aproximatly 1 season. 1 season = 22 events. we average 12 runs each event with each run lasting between 40 and 60 seconds so each day we average 720 seconds of racing = 12 min of track time. so over 1 season they will see 4.4 hours of actual use. so I can take a tire designed to last 10,000 miles and destroy them in little over 4 hours.

This also highlghts why I say that no matter how hard you think you push your car on the street, its no where near the level that you can do on the track.

Luckily these tires are cheep, $65 a tire, in 205/50R15

Autocross, out here we race with our steering wheels.
Old 05-19-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
we average 12 runs each event

Damn... I want to go where you go. I'm lucky to get 6.
Old 05-19-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
the Las Vegas chapter of the SCCA has its **** together. and we average 70-80 cars so we're not overcrowded so we get 10-12 runs in.

Next weekend we have our Annual North South challenge, Nevada has such a low population that there are only 2 SCCA regions for the whole state(Las Vegas and Reno). so Every year we get together and see which region is the best.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 05-19-2003 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2003
Registered!!

thorough is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn 12k miles on one set of tires. Im still drivin on my Stock tires from may of 2001 with damn near 60k miles on them. they still look like they have 70% tread on them. Than again i dont race. I drive.
Old 10-23-2003
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but since those tires are Z-Rated aren't they made of a softer compound (intended for performance) which leads to less road life? The only reason I say is because I once bought some 195/50/15 BFG Comp T/A's at $130 a tire that were ZR-Rated for my old Sentra and they only lasted me 10,000 miles. When I hit that mileage they looked like race tires because they almost had no tread on them whatsoever (yikes).
Old 10-23-2003
Autocross Junky

the Letter rating of a tire has nothing to do with the softness of that tire, its the speed rating (Durribility of construction). what you should be looking at is the tread wear rating. wich is part of the UTQG markings it will look some thing like this ( treadwear 360 Traction A Temperature A )

And damn this is an old thread....

Last edited by Zzyzx; 10-23-2003 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2003
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
I guess I should have been a little more thorough with my reasoning. I understand that the letter on the tire is the speed rating, but Discount Tires told me (like that’s usually worth anything… lol) that the lower the letter, the more likelihood the tire was made of a softer compound since they are catered towards performance. At least that’s what they told me when I went to complain about my Comp T/A’s. I guess it was a bunch of BS.

Damn, ZZyzx you know quite a bit about tires. The UTQG is news to me. Thanks for the clarification. Oh, and I hadn’t realized it was an old thread. Since someone had just posted to it, I thought it was new.