Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

If you have wheel vibration: Get some centering rings

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002
aki
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aki is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have wheel vibration: Get some centering rings

Whoever is moderating, PLEASE make some kind of sticky regarding this, because there have been way too many posts asking this.

Most aftermarket rims are NOT made to fit tightly on our cars. Stock rims are made for our cars so there will be no vibration aside from imbalances. Lugs alone will not make the rims fit exactly.

However, 99.99% of aftermarket rims NEED hub-centering rings. You can get the hub-centering rings from the store you bought your rims from, or from whoever sells those rims.

You can get your wheels balanced 1000 times and your vibrations will not be resolved unless you have hub-centering rings for your car. So please, stop balancing your tires and get some hub-centering rings. Internet dealers for the most part are too ignorant, lazyor incompetent to tell you that you need to buy the centering rings.
Old 11-16-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Amen bud!

2Hottie
Old 11-17-2002
Registered!!

ohmysac is an unknown quantity at this point
whalentire.com shipped hub-centric rings with my order
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

Frank2sy is an unknown quantity at this point
I got my hub rings at DiscountTire Direct for $10.00 shipped. The local tire store tries to charge me $20.00 for a set.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-19-2002
Registered!!

zetaR is an unknown quantity at this point
Aki gets . I went through quite a bit to find out that I needed hub centric rings. First, the tire dealer I went to said the tires were not balanced. Didn't fix the problem. Then they said one of the tires wasn't positioned on the wheel correctly. Didn't fix the problem. I spoke to someone who had the same problem I was having, and they had their car dynamically balance (wheels on the car). Didn't fix their problem. Other people have mentioned the roads play a factor. This is true to a certain extent, but not on every single road you're on. I finally saw a post concerning hub centric rings. BINGO! Problem fixed. [IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
I totally agree...no matter how tough wheels are, they are pretty delicate...if they are off even the slightest bit, it will cause a vibration...I talked to the guy who balanced my tires and he suggested getting them rebalanced every 6,000 miles...make sense I guess...

2Hottie
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

2k1USMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
hey i just had work done on my driver side front wheel.. i ran over two screws at night near a construction zone and it punctured my tires.. flats.. had the holes plugged in. now when im above 65mph, i feel my weel vibrating - do i need a centering ring on my wheels as well? im riding on the stock rims that i got off of honda, so its obviously not aftermarket... or is this just a balancing problem?
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: 2k1USMCivic
hey i just had work done on my driver side front wheel.. i ran over two screws at night near a construction zone and it punctured my tires.. flats.. had the holes plugged in. now when im above 65mph, i feel my weel vibrating - do i need a centering ring on my wheels as well? im riding on the stock rims that i got off of honda, so its obviously not aftermarket... or is this just a balancing problem?[hr]
If you're riding on stock wheels, then you don't need hub centric rings. Sounds like the tire needs to be balanced.
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

IH8SUVS is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, could hub centering rings possibly be blue, and maybe abou 4" in diameter? some rings came with my wheels and tires from discount tire direct, but i didn't know wtf they were. my wheels dont vibrate though. i dunno.[IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-28-2002
Registered!!

Travii is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: 2k1USMCivic
hey i just had work done on my driver side front wheel.. i ran over two screws at night near a construction zone and it punctured my tires.. flats.. had the holes plugged in. now when im above 65mph, i feel my weel vibrating - do i need a centering ring on my wheels as well? im riding on the stock rims that i got off of honda, so its obviously not aftermarket... or is this just a balancing problem?[hr]
Get your whole car rebalanced. Not just that one wheel.
Old 12-13-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
I have yet to find a shop that has a whole car balancing machine. Still looking.
Old 12-16-2002
spoiledsteph

ok i just rotated my tires and got my wheels balanced, but now i have the vibration when i go over 60mph. could the tire place that rotated my tires have screwed something up? or maybe lost a hub ring? cuz i didn't have this before. i got 17 motegi...
Old 12-16-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Sure they could screw up the balance. Can you see in there good enough to tell if any rings are missing? Take it back and tell them you have "smooth road shake".
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Bartkat
I have yet to find a shop that has a whole car balancing machine. Still looking.
[hr]
Hey, Bartkat, have you tried any of the luxury dealerships? I asked the tire place that I go to where I could get my car dynamically balanced. The guy told me that the only place around where I live was the Cadillac dealership. Maybe you should look into that.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

Pinoy3LeR is an unknown quantity at this point
if you still experience vibration, take it back to the shop that did you wheel balancing the metal tin in which they used for balancing might came off
Old 01-28-2003
Registered!!

Intruder is an unknown quantity at this point
A few insights. If you torque your lugs to spec (80lbs. as I recall) while the car is in the air the wheels will center themselves on the hub. Hub-centric rings DO NOT take load off of the lugs (most rings are plastic :_doh[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] and are useful only in centering the wheel on the hub WHILE tightening the lugs. I have spoken to more than a few dealers about this and it is well-known in the racing community. Just wanted to shed light....
Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
so u guys are saying that if a get aftermarket rims i must get hub-centering rings, is that right???
thanx
Old 02-07-2003
Registered!!

It wouldn't hurt. Where ever you get your wheels, they should just give you hub centric rings, but you need to make sure and ask for them. It will help cut down on vibration because the wheel will be centered properly when putting them on.
Old 02-14-2003
Registered!!

bickford05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know the best place to buy the rings for Racing Hart CP-8's???

I bought then from [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG] wheelmax.com.... so they diddent come with any
Old 02-20-2003
The Woman Who Gave Birth to Rabbits. As seen on TV by QBoi.

Kadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the roughKadenx is a jewel in the rough
Yeah i bought my rimmies from speedandstyle (Ill never go there again) and they didnt come with the centering rings, will any do or do i need rings specifically for my rims?
Old 02-21-2003
Registered!!

First, I would check with the website that you got your wheels from. See if they can get them for you. Probably not, but if they can, then they shouldn't charge you.

Yes, you need rings made for your rims. Wheel manufacturers make hub centric rings for all wheels that can be applied to several applications. They could make wheels that fit perfect like your stock wheels, but that wouldn't be cost effective.

Go to any local shop that sells the kind of wheels that you have. They should be able to get the rings for you. Not sure, how much they run, but I think they'll probably charge you about $15-20.
Old 02-27-2003
Registered!!

iluvbritney is an unknown quantity at this point
and where do i place the ring? cause i sold my old rims...and now i got some new rims...not sure i have to get the hub rings again
Old 02-27-2003
Registered!!

iluvbritney is an unknown quantity at this point
and do i have to align my car again? i got the new rims 2 weeks ago
Old 02-27-2003
Registered!!

fiftycent is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anybody know the size of the hub centering rings or know if they're the same as an accord. I got some rims that were meant for an accord and the size of the vehicle hub is 2.210" or 56.15mm. Will this work on our cars?