Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Wheel Problems?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SatinSilver2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheel Problems?!

Yesterday i put on my 17in wheels with 215/45 tires and drove it a bit and had no problems (no drop either)....last night i put on the Ractive rear-section and it was fine except for one thing...one of the spring loaded bolts did thread back through after i put on the rear-section...so i just left it with one, it seemed tight enough.....i don't know how to get it in...i guess i'll have to take it to midas or something..
anyways...today i was driving home from school (with no problems all day) and i noticed that if i accelerate it's fine but when i take my foot off the gas it makes this wierd noise...it's like a train. ka clunk ka clunk ka clunk...then the slower i'm rollings the slower the noise gets...but it's only when i'm decellerating....i can't figuere out if it's becuase of the exhaust of becuse of the wheels...these wheels came of my freinds 2k1 civic and he said he had no problems with them...
sorry for the long post..any help would be appreciated...

Old 06-11-2002
The dog told me to do it

Explosivo is an unknown quantity at this point
A good way to isolate the problem is the sound. If it is cyclical, meaning, it has a steady rhythym, and that rhythym changes with your speed, it is the wheels. I don't think your exhaust would generate that kind of noise. Call up Midas and describe the problem. They are usually cool enough to tell you "It sounds like your wheel balancing (or whatever)... bring it on in."
Old 06-11-2002
Registered!!

WhiteCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Couple thoughts here..If the noise frequency is relevant to the cars speed then you have a rubbing issue with a moving part. There is no drivetrain in back to cause any noise. Your exhaust has come loose and is most likely rubbing on your wheel or you need to re-torque your wheels which have worked themselves loose.( quite common when putting on aftermarket wheels) you should check them every 100miles or so and torque to about 90ft lbs. Also..did your wheels require centering rings ? You will be able to see them mounted on the inside of the wheel after you remove it. It is nothing more than a piece of round plastic that snaps into the wheel so that it matches perfectly to the hub...hope this helps a bit.
Honestly it sounds like your exhaust has shifted a bit and is being forced into your wheel when decelerating.