Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Caliper Difficult to Move on Rear Disk Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cpyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Caliper Difficult to Move on Rear Disk Brakes

Hello Folks,

I changed my front brake pads today on my 2002 Civic SI without a hitch.
Was going to change the rear pads but the piston in the caliper was quite a bit more difficult to move than the front pistons were.

I'm curious if this is normal.
Is there a trick to moving the rear pistons (since there is also the e-brake mechanism)?

The wear on the pads were completely symmetrical and the e-brake definitely engages the caliper.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Caliper Difficult to Move on Rear Disk Brakes

Originally Posted by cpyz
Hello Folks,

I changed my front brake pads today on my 2002 Civic SI without a hitch.
Was going to change the rear pads but the piston in the caliper was quite a bit more difficult to move than the front pistons were.

I'm curious if this is normal.
Is there a trick to moving the rear pistons (since there is also the e-brake mechanism)?

The wear on the pads were completely symmetrical and the e-brake definitely engages the caliper.

Thanks for the advice.
what do u mean by "move"

do you mean "remove"?
Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

I mean, the old pads are thinner than the new pads, so I have to "move" (I mean compress) the piston so that I can put the caliper back on over the new pads.

It was fairly easy to push/compress the front pistons, but the rear one doesn't seem as easy...
it's not stuck though, since the e-brake seems to make the caliper pinch.
Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

I mean, the old pads are thinner than the new pads, so I have to "move" (I mean compress) the piston so that I can put the caliper back on over the new pads.

It was fairly easy to push/compress the front pistons, but the rear one doesn't seem as easy...
it's not stuck though, since the e-brake seems to make the caliper pinch.

you should be compressing the piston back into the caliper BEFORE you remove the caliper....use a big c-clamp

now that you have it off....reinstall the old pad on the piston side and use a c-clamp on the pad and on the outside of the caliper to compress the piston
Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
now that you have it off....reinstall the old pad on the piston side and use a c-clamp on the pad and on the outside of the caliper to compress the piston
This is how I compressed the piston in the front...
it's just that the back is much more difficult. Does this indicate a problem, or is there a trick (given that the e-brake operates the rear piston as well)?
Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

This is how I compressed the piston in the front...
it's just that the back is much more difficult. Does this indicate a problem, or is there a trick (given that the e-brake operates the rear piston as well)?

if thats the case, the caliper could be seized
Old 07-09-2017
Registered!!

I found a good source (minute 12):

It turns out you need to rotate the piston clock-wise and it will go in!
Old 07-09-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Rear pistons must screw in.

Make sure to clock the notches in the piston to the correct locations, they MUST clear the dowel pin sticking out of the back of the pad, so the piston seats flat against the back of the brake pad.
If you don't get this right, the piston will push on just the pin and the 'top' of the pad will wear at a bad angle.
Old 07-10-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Rear pistons must screw in.

Make sure to clock the notches in the piston to the correct locations, they MUST clear the dowel pin sticking out of the back of the pad, so the piston seats flat against the back of the brake pad.
If you don't get this right, the piston will push on just the pin and the 'top' of the pad will wear at a bad angle.
Good advice...
thank you!