Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Narrowed my choice - opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O4_BLU3_C1V1C is an unknown quantity at this point
Narrowed my choice - opinions welcome

Hi all! I'm new to the forum and the first question I have is regarding new wheels of course. I have been exhaustively looking thru different sets of wheels and tires over the course of the past three months and have narrowed my choice to three different wheels. I would like opinions. Yes, ultimately I'm making the final decision, but I think it'd be a big help in deciding if I could get some feedback from a community.

Here goes:
The car: 04 Fiji Blue Pearl 2dr Civic VP (base model, black door handles and mirrors, tan interior) the only mods are D2 coilovers (~2" lowered) and black lense headlights and a aftermarket de-badged grill.

The options:
1) *BLACK w/ polished lip* DRAG DR-20 16x7 +40 - (~16lbs)

2) *BRONZE* DRAG DR-31 16x7 +40 - (~17lbs)

3) *GREY* KOSEI K4R - 16x7.5 +43 (13.6lbs)

I'm going with 205/45/16 tires no matter what wheel I choose.

Give me your thoughts and reasons why you would choose said wheel.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Narrowed my choice - opinions welcome

I like option 3 the best based on the weight of the wheel. I would give up style for a lighter wheel. I think option 2 would look nice with the bronze and blue combo. Option 1 looks old school to me.
Old 01-23-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with 2 or 3.

If you're tinted, go with 3, if not, go with 2 since you have tan interior
Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies guys. With well over 60 views, I was hoping for more but I appreciate those who have replied. I figured the 'old school' look was "in" which is why I've been contemplating option #1.

anyone else?
Old 01-23-2013
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Option 1 is kinda awkward for a 04-05. Option 3 is nice, but It would look better if the wheel had more depth to it.

i say Option 2.
My friend has that same wheel on his EM2, it looks awesome.
Old 01-23-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

If you had a 5th gen civic then I would have gone with the old school look. Even an older 6th gen but not a 7 gen. That's just me!! Get whatever you like best.
Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

fusion158 is an unknown quantity at this point

For me I would go with option 2 or 3. Going by looks I could go with either, if weight was important then option 3.
Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by fusion158
For me I would go with option 2 or 3. Going by looks I could go with either, if weight was important then option 3.
Weight is important but option 2 is $250/cheaper for the set. So, the question then becomes: How important is weight?

Originally Posted by GolNat
If you had a 5th gen civic then I would have gone with the old school look. Even an older 6th gen but not a 7 gen. That's just me!! Get whatever you like best.
I was wondering if the old school look went better on 5th or 6th gen's vs. 7th gen's. Thanks for the response.
Old 01-23-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I guess if your a hyper miler then weight is important.

....other than that, not so much.
Old 01-23-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

My Rotas are about 17lbs per rim too, with tires, i think they were like 35lbs each.
Not super important unless you count every single mpg
Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i like old school wheels but those work equip knock offs don't look rite on 7th gen civics especially with high offsets. i think the bronze rotas would look the best on the blue.
Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

clinton_hedrick is an unknown quantity at this point

1 or 3 imo. I'm not a big fan of the bronze color of 2
Old 01-23-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

get sliptreams... they're kenny's fav!
Old 01-23-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Powdercoat em hot pink too.
They match the blue on the civic pretty good!
Old 01-23-2013
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by O4_BLU3_C1V1C
Weight is important but option 2 is $250/cheaper for the set. So, the question then becomes: How important is weight
Makes the car feel more agile. Also reduces rotational mass, so the engine doesn't have to work as hard. Also reduces unsprung weight which is the enemy.
Old 01-23-2013

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

The only thing more weight is good for is MPG. You have greater rotational inertia.

On the downside, you have reduced braking, reduced acceleration, reduced handling characteristics, the list goes on...

But is the weight difference between option 2 and 3 really that dramatic?
If you're not racing your car, go with whatever looks best. Low weight is an added bonus.
Old 01-23-2013
Registered!!

Max91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Powdercoat em hot pink too.
They match the blue on the civic pretty good!
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/a...8&d=1354959150

Go #3
Old 01-24-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
I was considering these....

...for a bit. Thinking those would look better than the DR-20 (old school) style?

I think a black w/ polished lip wheel would go well with the Fiji Blue, especially since my door handles and mirrors are black...but lately I've seen several Cavaliers, Cobalts, and 6th Gen Honda's in my area with that style and I'm not sure if I'm ok with how popular they seem to be around here.

Thanks for the feedback...
Old 01-24-2013

A LOT of people have black rims with a polished lip. Pretty much every modified Neon, Cobalt, Cavalier, Civic, Accord, Integra where I live have something just like that. If you want a polished lip, go for a unique rim color like gunmetal, gold, or bronze.

Now, you're in a similar dilemma as myself... you also have Fiji Blue and I presume a tan interior, right? In my opinion it is a nasty color combination. If your windows aren't very dark, the beige cloth will shine through, making a blunt color contrast between your car's paint and wheels. I would experiment with grey, silver, or bronze wheels until you find a color that compliments the blue and tan. Most people with Fiji Blue Civics, including myself, started with black rims and now we regret it. Without a black interior to match, it seems really cheesy. Every good modified car has a clear theme.
Old 01-24-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Same can be said for TW folks.

Just go with option 2.

Please don't get slipstreams or slipstream look-alikes.
Old 01-24-2013

Nah, white is awesome, you can do anything with white.
And at least white looks natural with bronze wheels. With a blue car, it looks like an STI rip-off.
Old 01-24-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
With a blue car, it looks like an STI rip-off.
OMG, I was just about to say that.

Blue + Tan = Subaru
Old 01-24-2013
Registered!!

A LOT of people have black rims with a polished lip. Pretty much every modified Neon, Cobalt, Cavalier, Civic, Accord, Integra where I live have something just like that. If you want a polished lip, go for a unique rim color like gunmetal, gold, or bronze.

Now, you're in a similar dilemma as myself... you also have Fiji Blue and I presume a tan interior, right? In my opinion it is a nasty color combination. If your windows aren't very dark, the beige cloth will shine through, making a blunt color contrast between your car's paint and wheels. I would experiment with grey, silver, or bronze wheels until you find a color that compliments the blue and tan. Most people with Fiji Blue Civics, including myself, started with black rims and now we regret it. Without a black interior to match, it seems really cheesy. Every good modified car has a clear theme.
Yup, tan interior.

But, I do have dark tinted windows so the tan interior doesn't affect the appearance too much. It's still slightly noticeable in the sun though.

I'm glad I wasn't crazy in noticing everyone driving around with black wheels and a polished lip.

So...it seems whatever color I choose, I'll either run into a) everyone else with the same look (black w/ polished lip), I'll be compared to Subaru's (Bronze/Gold), or I'll have a wheel that doesn't compliment the Fiji Blue very well (All Black). Decisions...decisions.

One thing that I'd love to do would be to go with White wheels, except white wheels on a car with tan interior and blue exterior would probably look

I think I'm leaning towards the Bronze/Gold despite the inevitable Subaru comparisons...
Old 01-24-2013

Originally Posted by O4_BLU3_C1V1C
Yup, tan interior.

But, I do have dark tinted windows so the tan interior doesn't affect the appearance too much. It's still slightly noticeable in the sun though.

I'm glad I wasn't crazy in noticing everyone driving around with black wheels and a polished lip.

So...it seems whatever color I choose, I'll either run into a) everyone else with the same look (black w/ polished lip), I'll be compared to Subaru's (Bronze/Gold), or I'll have a wheel that doesn't compliment the Fiji Blue very well (All Black). Decisions...decisions.

One thing that I'd love to do would be to go with White wheels, except white wheels on a car with tan interior and blue exterior would probably look

I think I'm leaning towards the Bronze/Gold despite the inevitable Subaru comparisons...
You have exactly the same opinions on all of those wheels as me. That's quite a weird achievement.

I agree, white would be absolutely amazing if it weren't for the tan.

And I'm leaning towards the same notion of dark bronze. That's what I want on my car next too.
Old 01-24-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Both of you should just get white Konig feathers.

Old 01-24-2013
Registered!!

You have exactly the same opinions on all of those wheels as me. That's quite a weird achievement.

I agree, white would be absolutely amazing if it weren't for the tan.

And I'm leaning towards the same notion of dark bronze. That's what I want on my car next too.
Good to know someone's on the same page as I am. I guess we could always go with the standard silver. Nah, never mind - Bronze it is.

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Both of you should just get white Konig feathers.

I like Konig Feathers too. But, the only color that I think may work on a Fiji Blue w/ tan interior would be the gold, since I'm almost certain they don't come in Bronze.
Old 01-24-2013

If someone volunteers to give me their black interior, I'll buy white Konig feathers for everyone!!!
Old 01-24-2013
Kenny the Ricer

This is for you Dylan, and maybe you too blue,

These wheels look really slick, and they come in 17x7.5 4x100 +38mm
If I hadn't gotten my Rota's, I would've considered these.

GTR 706 Titanium

I would suggest these, but only if the lip was color matched and the center wasn't universal.

GTR 703 Gun Metal & Blue
Old 01-24-2013

sexy~

would love that with a very thin polished lip.
And the yellow text on the center cap has gotta go.
Old 01-25-2013
Registered!!

Those GTR 706 Titanium's are very nice minus the center cap. Where can you buy those from? Hmm...

They are somewhat similar to the ones you can buy on Tirerack.com...

I do like the GTR's more though...not a fan of the multi bolt pattern wheels...too many holes.

Quick Reply: Narrowed my choice - opinions welcome