Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Confused About Rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topgeari4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Confused About Rims

hey guys i was looking through the forum and noticed most of u guys have 17's on ur civic
i have a 02 lx coupe currently with stock steelies
if i was to put 17's on it what modifications would i have to do to the car ?
and how is ur ride with 17's is it smoother then the steelies ?
Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

Clean 03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Confused About Rims

I'd go with 16s. I woudnt even go 17s. If you like the way it looks, thats really the only reason for it. your not going to get performance out of it (probably less actually). especially with the bologna skin tires people usually pair them with. And the ride is not going to be as smooth as stock, let alone smoother. Id get 16s with a thicker tire. better performance and ride quality and still looks good IMO. Theres really no mods you need to do to just put them on the car. as long as they are the correct lug pattern they will go on. Mods you would want to do shortly after (have to do IMO) suspension drop, camber kit and get an alignment.

Last edited by Clean 03; 01-02-2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

with 17s, the ride will be harsh, acceleration will be slower, greater chance of blowing a tire or bending a rim, among other things.
Old 01-03-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

yea most of us hav 16" rims.... i think the only reason why you think "most" of us hav 17" is beause only most of the ricers post of this forum..hahhaha jk...

but on a serious note, 16" is the way to go because its still semi light and it does give you a bit more low profile look
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

some 17s look smaller than others. depends on the design. personally I think 16s or 17s will be alright
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

EnvyX will become famous soon enough

My 17" Volk performs much better than most 16" and 15" rims. But it rides like ****.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

maybe u need bigger tires?
most people with 17s use 205 45 or 215 40
im on 215 45 - jus thave to sacrifice some camber and roll ur rear fender
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

im on 205/40 - with GC/Koni all the way down.
Old 01-03-2009

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by EnvyX
My 17" Volk performs much better than most 16" and 15" rims. But it rides like ****.
how light are ur rims?

alot of factors contribute to the performance of the car regularding weight.

if ur tires on ur rims (usually 17" are wider and the weight is further out) are wider, there is more weight on the outter diameter of the wheel, and therefore ur car will be more sluggish.

most 17" are up to 16-20lbs...which is ALOT for the immense p0wa our engine puts out.

my 13lb rims perform quite well.
Old 01-03-2009
Love me some nice, long-lasting vics!

jgcentury will become famous soon enoughjgcentury will become famous soon enough

I agree, 16's for performance, 17's for the look. I have 17's and love em, but there are times I wish I went with a light 16 for performance. I can sure as hell take some fun turns though when its dry.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

elementalchain is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Confused About Rims

I like my 17's. i have 215/45/17 tires(yokohama ats) and the ride is actually pretty smooth. Also i am dropped 1.75 front and 1.5 rear (neuspeed sport) 1 finger gap all around. So you would need to do no modifying.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

Street Kings will become famous soon enoughStreet Kings will become famous soon enough

Wut's the point of getting 16" when OEM's are 15"? I see no point of wasting money just for 1" difference plus getting new tires on it. U can keep the OEM Wheel size and just get new wheels to go with ur current tires.

17" is perfect size in my opinion, it does not make ur car look like it's riding on Donut lookin tires. I have 215/45-17 and I'm a heavy user on my car, I ride it rough on Hwys and I had been driving on OEM's for 2yrs but now with 17's I find the ride to be the same, perhaps even better.
Old 01-03-2009
Registered!!

My 17's weigh 15.6lbs per rim -heavier than your 13lb per rim. Wow thats light.
Old 01-04-2009

^ya, they're pretty ligiht...

when i had 205/45/16 tires on em, the car felt REALLY REALLY light n responsive...

i decided to go closer to OEM sizee (with wider width) and i got 215/50/16 and BOYYYYYYYYYYY what a difference i felt in the car.... A LOTTTT MORE sluggish...

for example with the 215's in 5th gear doing 60mph, and if i WOT the car, it deffinatly didnt feel as fast/torquey as the 205
Old 01-04-2009

only if you 17" knew how much more responsive ur car is with light rims...you'd defiantly reconsider. (with the exception of high end light weight 17" rims)
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

+1 is a big difference man. we arent try to roll dubs on a civic or something. i dont see why it would matter if its only +1 OEM. its like saying damn that civic is sick but its only +1 bigger than oem so thats wack. lol

at any rate... 16's ftw.
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

Street Kings will become famous soon enoughStreet Kings will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
+1 is a big difference man. we arent try to roll dubs on a civic or something. i dont see why it would matter if its only +1 OEM. its like saying damn that civic is sick but its only +1 bigger than oem so thats wack. lol

at any rate... 16's ftw.
18++ Wud lead to that kind of look, especially if it's Chrome YUKK!!!

15"-17" are not DUB style. But I have seen many pple with 16" wheels and also 15", For 16" it's extremely hard to tell if they are +1 or OEM size. And yet it gives a look of DONUT Shape.

(Remember, this is just my Opinion)

Look into This Thread, Majority of the Civic owners prefer 17".

Are they all Stupid?
Old 01-04-2009
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light

LOL nobody has answered his question yet.. if you were to put 17's on you're going to have to lower the car as well. it just looks incredibly goofy at stock height w/ rims of that size in my opinion. If you don't want to lower the car go with 16's definately
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kcari
maybe u need bigger tires?
most people with 17s use 205 45 or 215 40
im on 215 45 - jus thave to sacrifice some camber and roll ur rear fender
do you get a body shop to roll the rear fenders? How much does something like that cost?
Old 01-04-2009

^somewhere between 40-60 bucks....or do it urself....hahah for free
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

i dont reccomend that u roll ur own fender unless u have a fender roller.
and it all depends on the shop - our civics fenders are real loose and relatively easy to roll so it shant be that much.
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kcari
i dont reccomend that u roll ur own fender unless u have a fender roller.
and it all depends on the shop - our civics fenders are real loose and relatively easy to roll so it shant be that much.
But a body shop is the place to get it done?
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

Topgeari4 is an unknown quantity at this point

arent the stock steelies 14 inch ??
this is what i want to do
A) get the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tire size P185/70R14 for my stock steelies
or
B) i guess i would buy 16 inch rims and find nice tires

would my ride be better / smoother ride ? with stock or 16's ?

oh and im willing to spend around $1200
also the tires would have to be all season
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

just get some rota wheel, pretty cheap (3-400), some kuhmos (300 a set), and some sort of drop. i suggest you get 205/50/16. i have that on my car, perfect size IMHO. closest size to stock sized tire and it still gives you that low pro look.
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted

What is the best 16" tire size for ride comfort?
Old 01-04-2009
Registered!!

99WhiteJDM will become famous soon enough99WhiteJDM will become famous soon enough

45 or 50 mm. I like may 17's and from my experience they out perform 16's but,but,but, they ride like crap. Every little bump and it feels harsh because of the thinner tire and my car isn't that low. I had 16's on my last Civic and similar suspension set up (same drop, same shocks, dif. coilovers) and it's a big difference when it comes to comfort. I think I may get some 16's and lower the car more. Most "racers" use bigger wheels to put bigger tires for a wider contact patch but the extra 10 or 20 lbs doesn't matter in my opinion when you're pushing 500+ HP. In a 100HP Civic that 10 or 20 lbs matters.
Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

SedanB0y1 is an unknown quantity at this point

so i am in the same catch, stuck btwn 16s or 17s. i do not plan to do anything engine wise, at most an intake. i have an 03 EX sedan. i just would like to keep it clean n nice. i drive my car everyday bc i commute to school, approx 15-20mi so performance is key for me. and from reading this thread it seems like 16s are the best bet? i found a set with 205/45/16 (Kumho AST).
rims

here they are. (i have a beige color)
Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

^^ if you want your car to look good with a 45 sidewall on 16s you gotta SLAMMMMMM it. i am pretty slammed and i think its the perfect look with my 50 sidewall. so i suggest you get a 50 sidewall unless your gonna slam your car. lol. i have an 02 sedan...

here is my old look, still the same drop and tire though. https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...k-warning.html

Last edited by civicsrcool; 01-14-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...s2-reppin.html
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...sedan-ftw.html

k im done whoring this thread. lol
Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

SedanB0y1 is an unknown quantity at this point

how much did u lower yours by? and how much would i need to lower mine by if i went with 45mm?
your look is nice.

Quick Reply: Confused About Rims