Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02whiteem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Winter Tires

Hey, I've been searching around a lot for the past week and can't seem to decide on what to get. I live in NY about 1 1/2 hrs North of NYC. We get a decent amount of snow up here and i wanna get some snow tires. I have been looking at studless snows but im lost. I drive about 80 miles a day between school, work and home.(all Highway) I know snow tires have a lower speed rating than all seasons. In my case should i go with something like Bizzaks (sp?) or dunlop graspics or should i look in to a performance winter tire like a contwintercontact. Will my daily highway speeds kill the regular winter tires?
Old 11-19-2008
Registered!!

seelsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Winter Tires

I live in ontario canada and snow and ice are basically second nature to me. I currently rum on steelies wrapped in michelin x-ice tires. They have been spectactular for me so far and they've been on for three years, increased stop and start on ice, good with highway speeds, hold strong on corners. I drive 40 minutes one way on the highway at 100km/h min monday-friday every week for school so highway speeds are no problem. Thats just my opinion, but i love um.
Old 11-20-2008
Registered!!

Maple50175 is an unknown quantity at this point

i hear good things about blizzaks
Old 11-20-2008
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

I don't know if they still have em. Tire rack had cheap "snow&ice" tires. I ran a set for 2 years. Hard as a rock and would tear the paint off the parking lines in lots, lol.
I'm only a few miles away.
Old 11-20-2008
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough

most snow tires are durable enough to be driven all year round.. however they are very squishy and dont grip as well on dry pavement

my vote for best snow tires are probablly
1. Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi
2. Hankook Ipike
3. Bridgestone Blizzack
Old 11-20-2008
Registered!!

The cheapest ones i see at tirerack are the dunlop Graspics. I would need to get some 14" steelies to go with them for now. Would this be a good choice? I mean we don't get crazy amounts of snow like u would see in the snowbelt but it does accumulate up here and the don't always clean it right away. Im just looking for the cheapest way not to kill myself this winter . I guess i need to decide on this soon since it has already started to snow.
Old 11-20-2008
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough

well in that case get firestone winterforce tires.. cheap as you can get, but still decent.. ive had mine for 3 years... still plowin through the snow...
Old 11-20-2008
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute

i just put some blizzaks on my car. got em for free off a buddy pretty much brand new. ill tell you how they are in the snow after it hits here lol

dont know if anyone mentioned it. snow tires are very very soft. so the best way to descrive driving on them. is like driving on a set of marshmellows lol
Old 11-21-2008
Prowlin' with a Purpose

Originally Posted by mugenman
i just put some blizzaks on my car. got em for free off a buddy pretty much brand new. ill tell you how they are in the snow after it hits here lol

dont know if anyone mentioned it. snow tires are very very soft. so the best way to descrive driving on them. is like driving on a set of marshmellows lol
yea they stay that way til about the mid second to third season... then they become hard and become as bad as all season tires
Old 11-21-2008
Registered!!

Well i know snow tires are soft which is why idk what to get. I hear the winterforce tires are really soft and noisy. Would the graspics be any better on dry pavement? By the way PON55, you know of any good junkyards around here where i might find some steelies?
Old 11-22-2008
Registered!!

mule69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone put snow tires on a set of 17x7s? I would think that they would not do nearly as well in the snow and the stock 15inch rims with snow tires on them.
Old 11-22-2008
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mule69
Has anyone put snow tires on a set of 17x7s? I would think that they would not do nearly as well in the snow and the stock 15inch rims with snow tires on them.
I will find out this year. I just put on a set of Toyo all seasons 215-45-17.
Old 11-23-2008
Registered!!

rednek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 02whiteem2
Well i know snow tires are soft which is why idk what to get. I hear the winterforce tires are really soft and noisy. Would the graspics be any better on dry pavement? By the way PON55, you know of any good junkyards around here where i might find some steelies?
I'd say check out craigslist. Last year I picked up a set of steelies with snows on them for $175 for the gf's car.

But mavis tire has "magnagrip" snow tires which are quite affordable and I used them last winter on my car and was extremely pleased. Pretty quiet, very capable in the snow, good grip. I'd buy them again and again and I recommend them to everybody I talk to

I'd provide a link but mavis' site does not appear to be working right now but I will check back and try and post up a link.
Old 11-23-2008
Registered!!

rednek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mule69
And way way more expensive.
Old 11-23-2008
Prowlin' with a Purpose

yup smaller wheels, cheaper the tires... plus i would prefer a larger profile tire for winter.. just so i wouldnt care if it got hit or not