Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

best size rim?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road
best size rim?

i'm wonderin whats the best size rim for our vic performance wise...i dont want no 15's and i heard that 18 or higher is for show...so would 17's be the jackpot? 215/40/17?
Old 07-28-2005
Stolen digital camera = no ninja picture for me

PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
I think 16s are about the perfect balance of function and style. My 17s feel a little rough (partially because of the small sidewalls) and they weigh a ton, but I can only rock the 15s for autox.
Old 07-28-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Best performance... we can fit a nice set of 14X7s (Assuming you can find a 14X7 that is)
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
What about reducing tire roll over or what ever you call, cant remember right now?
I thought that 15 or 17 would offer better handleing???
I do not have much experiance, so do;nt be to harsh on me if i am way off??
Old 07-28-2005
Superior Evolutionary Element Destined-factor

Xenin is an unknown quantity at this point
i went from 17s to 16s. i prefer the 16s and they're way lighter than my 17s.
Old 07-28-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jackburton
What about reducing tire roll over or what ever you call, cant remember right now?
I thought that 15 or 17 would offer better handleing???
I do not have much experiance, so do;nt be to harsh on me if i am way off??

Tire roll over is really only a problem with street tires and when you're not running enough negitive camber. as you get more twards "race" tires, tire roll over becomes less and less of an issue, tie that in with the proper camber and you've got the least amount of rotational inertia. Not to mention with the smaller wheel, you have many more choices in tire aspect ratios to tweak the final gearing of the car...

Edit:

On that note, it could be said that a larger wheel will give you a bit more steering responce with street tires, and theroreticaly better cornering. however, the overall performance of the car will have decreased due to a reduction in acceleration and braking, thanks to the increase in rotatioal Inertia. So, you could say that for the street a larger wheel is better, but for track.. the smaller the better.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 07-28-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

aznpoopy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Best performance... we can fit a nice set of 14X7s (Assuming you can find a 14X7 that is)
i agree... for a car like the civic i think 14" is best
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
okay, i see.
I was talking about street tires, and should have know by your pic that you were talking about track. I guess i just did not realize about the combination of negative camber and "race" tires making rollover less of a problem. I have never been on an auto cross track, and probably will someday, cause i like taking my car to its limits. I probably will always spend more time on street tires, so would 17"s be a wise choice? So would their be more of an increase in handleing than a decrease in acceleration and braking?
Old 07-28-2005
Registered!!

aznpoopy is an unknown quantity at this point
on a 120hp car a normal 17" wheel will kill your acceleration

back in the day, i bought some 17" wheels for my 240sx. after about a week i put the stock 15" back on. the car just felt sluggish accelerating and the steering was alot heavier.

if you want 17" then get them. there's no shame in trying to make your car look nicer. just understand its mostly for looks, especially on a 120bhp car.
Old 07-28-2005
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by jackburton
okay, i see.
I was talking about street tires, and should have know by your pic that you were talking about track. I guess i just did not realize about the combination of negative camber and "race" tires making rollover less of a problem. I have never been on an auto cross track, and probably will someday, cause i like taking my car to its limits. I probably will always spend more time on street tires, so would 17"s be a wise choice? So would their be more of an increase in handleing than a decrease in acceleration and braking?

There is a noitceable difference in the way the car reacts when I swap between my street setup (17X7's with Continetal Allseasons 215/45-17) and my Race setup (15X6.5's with Falken Azenis in 205/50-15). in pretty much all aspects of its performance. Steering, acceleration braking ect... but would I realy notice it much if I didnt use both setups... Not on the street. On track, the car is Much more sluggish coming out of turns with the 17's vs the 15's, not to mention the difference in tread squirm between the 17" Allseasons and the Azenis (Nearly a full race tire). the car is jsut so much more fun with my race setup...

VS