Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Aftermarket Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xDCx will become famous soon enoughxDCx will become famous soon enough
Aftermarket Rotors

Ok this may be a noob question but im looking for some inexpensive modding. Im looking to get some aftermarket rotors. As far as replacing them, do people typically replace the rear brake drums also when replacing the front rotors?

In other words, would it be tacky to just get the front rotors and not the rear drums?

Do larger rotors require larger calipers? or are they compatible with stock calipers? Does anyone know of some nice polished larger-than-stock rotors compatible with stock calipers?

Yea, just some questions I have lookin for some answers. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-23-2005
4 cyllinders are good but 5 is better!

GreatWhite02 is an unknown quantity at this point
depends on what route you wanna go! If you just want to replace your stock rotors for the exact same size aftermarket rotor then just swap in the aftermarket rotor and your all set! You will notice a decent difference in braking! All these rotors do is dissapate heat faster than your stock rotors! You can upgrade to larger rotors and yes some kits like Powerslot which I am about to purchase is compatible with your stock calipers! All it does is move the stock caliper further out on the disc basically like pressing down on a vinyl record on the outside to slow it down rather than on the inside which takes longer to slow down! These kits will give you much more noticeable braking power! Ugrading to larger rotors is gonna run you a bit more than simply replacing the stock rotors but in my opinion, you might as well get the larger rotors for an additional 150-200 bucks since you can use your stock caliper! I believe AEM also makes a larger rotor kit that uses your stock caliper too! BTW most kits require you to have 17 inch wheels or larger for the larger rotors and relocated stock caliper to fit inside of your wheels!
Old 04-23-2005
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold
if your just looking for a better look just go on ebay and get the rotors they sell on there for like $50, thats what im running and they look good. they will make no diffrence in stoping whatsoever, unless you get better pads, but they work fine with stock calipers. and they look good too.
Old 04-23-2005
Registered!!

ok thats good info.

ive been looking into those powerslots.

good stuff.

and i also looked on ebay.

Im basically just wanting aftermarket rotors bigger than stock with a chrome/metallic finish.

And perhaps jus paint the stock calipers.

Any additional info, (brands, prices, links) would be appreciated. thanks again
Old 04-23-2005
Registered!!

18inchpride is an unknown quantity at this point
another issue that you are not covering is the the calipers!
Even when you upgrade to powerslot, your not eliminating the heat that is being created with the disks,
sure the whole record idea is correct, but if you want a nice difference in your brake capabilities, then i would recommend caliper upgrade!
but if you on a budget, then powerslot is the way to go!
Old 04-23-2005
CivicMexicano Is My Daddy

el_ben2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ajhdragon
if your just looking for a better look just go on ebay and get the rotors they sell on there for like $50, thats what im running and they look good. they will make no diffrence in stoping whatsoever, unless you get better pads, but they work fine with stock calipers. and they look good too.
from how do u buy that rotors? cus i think that they may crack...
Old 04-23-2005
Broken Road......

nitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to all
Check out tirerack.com, look in their brake section. I just bought the Powerslot slotted and dimpled rotors, and a set of Hawk pads. Hoping to get them on today here at the shop, if we have the time. I'm just going to paint the calipers and the drums satin black.
Old 04-23-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
A chrome rotor? On what planet? The brakes rub on the rotor, any finish applied to it is gonna come off. Even if you paint the hub of it with high heat paint, you're gonna cover it in brake dust anyways. From a functionality standpoint, buy disposable rotors. Brembo blanks are $30 a piece, they'll withstand just about any abuse you can throw at them. No one's really lookin at your brakes anyways. if they stop, they're good enough.
Old 04-23-2005
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
A chrome rotor? On what planet? The brakes rub on the rotor, any finish applied to it is gonna come off. Even if you paint the hub of it with high heat paint, you're gonna cover it in brake dust anyways. From a functionality standpoint, buy disposable rotors. Brembo blanks are $30 a piece, they'll withstand just about any abuse you can throw at them. No one's really lookin at your brakes anyways. if they stop, they're good enough.
I would agree for the most part, specially when it comes to CHROME rotors???? great idea as long as your car is a trailer queen that never gets driven AT ALL! On the other hand, power slot rotors are an awesome rotor and i recomend them highly. I've also had good results with my AEM big rotor kit and AEM pads. On the otehr hand bang for the buck Boilermaker is corect about teh brembos, you cant beat the performance vs price. But Any good quality rotor manufacture (raybestos, bendix, brembo....) rotor will give equal or better braking performance than stock
Old 04-23-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
upgrade your fronts first. the rears arent as important as the front. you use like 10% of your rears while using 90% of the front.
Old 04-23-2005
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
when you get your rotors remember to get some high persformance ceramic brake pads could be from axxis, aem, hawk or more?
I think that if you change the rotor only, it wont make much of a difference. its when you change the pads you feel the difference.
Old 04-23-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
So what would someone recommend. Powerslot rotors and aem pads for front? What about rear? I just don't wanna get stock again and I need to change it pretty soon.
Old 04-24-2005
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
don't get EBC Green stuff slotted dimpled rotors whatever you do...they are loud as heck...sounds like some1 grinding something when you brake

i would recommend brembo blanks with EBC pads or hawk pads...i like my EBC green stuff pads, very clean pads, and stopping power is awesome. Just leave the rear...no point replacing your drums if they aren't broken...why waste money
Old 04-24-2005
Registered!!

ha ya i didn't mean a chrome rotor, i thought there might be some with a chromish finish but maybe not, i guess what i really want is a nice silver finish.
anyways heres a link from tirerack.com

I'm feelin the PowerSlot ProStop II Rotor & Kazera Street Sport Rotors
any idea on typical installation cost?
Old 04-24-2005
xam
snooty patooty partier

xam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura about
i can sell u my untouched powerslot rotors for 150 w/o shipping
Old 04-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
truehonda can give u a good deal in poweslot+hawk hps combo...
Old 04-24-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CivicRidaz1
ha ya i didn't mean a chrome rotor, i thought there might be some with a chromish finish but maybe not, i guess what i really want is a nice silver finish.

Thats a raw machined metal surface. it'll rust in 5 minutes. if you want it to stay somewhat shiny, paint the hub of the rotor with VHT paint or BBQ grill paint. Other than that, the braking surface is still gonna start to show wear and discoloration as you drive, especially if you drive hard.

And all of you asking about shoes... porterfield makes rear shoes, they're expensive and theres nothing wrong with the honda ones. Unless you have REALLY grippy fronts, you don't want sticky rears, you'll actually shift some of the brake bias to the back if you do.
Old 04-24-2005
Broken Road......

nitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to all

I just put on my ProStop II yesterday with the Hawk pads. Painted the calipers and drums black, looks way better when your seeing the brakes thru the wheels. At my shop, with your pads and rotors, we would charge and hour labor.
Old 07-12-2005
Registered!!

im ordering powerslot rotors and hawk street pads from dezod in nex couple days ($209).

hey does anyone have pic of their painted oem calipers?

im debating on painting them red or black

red would be noticeable, butttt black would look niice too? opinions
Old 07-12-2005
Broken Road......

im ordering powerslot rotors and hawk street pads from dezod in nex couple days ($209).

hey does anyone have pic of their painted oem calipers?

im debating on painting them red or black

red would be noticeable, butttt black would look niice too? opinions
Check out my car in members rides.....painted black....
Old 07-13-2005
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
chrome rotors. bling bling!!
Old 07-13-2005
Broken Road......

Originally Posted by exturbo6
chrome rotors. bling bling!!
??????
Old 07-13-2005
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future
in the beginning of the post they were talking about chrome/ paint rotors.
Old 07-13-2005
Broken Road......

Originally Posted by exturbo6
in the beginning of the post they were talking about chrome/ paint rotors.
Ohhhh!! i see it now...wasn't paying attention.
Old 07-13-2005
Registered!!

its cool. i got worried for a min it was me..lol