Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Akebono Brake Pads???? Warpped rotors AGAIN!!! *Please read and advise*

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trusted
Akebono Brake Pads???? Warpped rotors AGAIN!!! *Please read and advise*

Has anyone heard of these pads? Even better, has anyone used these pads? I went to the local import tuner shop in Tempe called Apex Motorsports. Some of you may be familiar with the name. They suggested the Akebono ProACT pads. They said that they are all ceramic and they will be the lowest noise pad from the few I was choosing from. I asked about Hawk, Axxis, and told him that I am using the EBC Green stuff pads. He said that he prefered the Akebono over the Axxis because the Akebono comes with all new hardware. The Axxis requires you to use your OE hardware. He said those 2 (Axxis and Akebono) are very close when it comes to performance. I just need some suggestions. I was set on the Hawk but they told me that they would have to order them, it would take 5 days. I could get in on the group buy with true honda for $48.50 shipped in 1.5 weeks, where Apex would be like $55 and I would have them in 5 days. The Akebono would take 1 day and costs $45.

What would you do based on your experiance of the pads you have used?

This is my situation. I warpped my stock rotors at 17,000 miles. I put on EBC green stuff pads and EBC cross drilled/slotted rotors. Sales rep told me that they would not warp when I used all EBC products. They warped by 40,000 miles. I had the rotors turned and changed pads still with EBC green stuff. Well they are warpped again. 60,000 miles now. So I am going to get them turned (for free or else I would be ordering the Brembo blanks) to help fix the problem. I need to replace the pads along with the freshly turned rotors. I am just having a hard time making the right decision. With the pads money is not a factor. I just don't have another $60 plus shipping for new rotors.

Last edited by ViperGTSR; 01-19-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-19-2005
Broken Road......

nitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to all
Akebono builds ceramic pads. We have used them on customers vehicles and had good luck with them. Warped rotors come from heat build up. If you ride your brakes, panic stop, etc. they will warp, regardless of what brand you use.
Old 01-19-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Well, Most likely you havent Warped any of your rotors. what you are feeling (pulsing from the pedal) is more then likeky an un-even build up of pad meterial on the rotors surface. this happens much more often the actually warping the rotor (Supprisingly hard to do). its ushually caused by improper bedding of the pads.

simplest and cheepest thing for you to do is to get the rotors machined and then re-bed the pads.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/...procedures.jsp
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

vipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trustedvipergtsr should not be trusted
I am feeling my steering wheel shake hard while i brake. The feeling is not in the peddal at all. I have learned something new today. Thanks for the information about brake bedding. Rep point to you Zzyzx.