Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Si wheels, help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005
Once boosted now i-VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C Orndorff is an unknown quantity at this point
Si wheels, help!

Ok the thing is a friend will sell me 03 si wheels (and tires) with only 1k miles on them for only 300$. I really want to get these to loose some wheel lbs. (I have 17") but i don't know how good they will look on my 03 sedan. I know someone on this site has them on a 7thgen but i cant find any pictures. If anyone can show me some or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Also what do you guys think?
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

jackal903 is an unknown quantity at this point
i like 04 ex stock wheels are look nicer than si wheels....IMO
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

dyst0pia is an unknown quantity at this point
How heavy are your 17's per wheel, tire included? I drive an '03 Si with the stock 15's, and they are around 44lbs a wheel, which might be heavier than your 17's. You might want to make sure your 17's are actually heavier before you drop the cash on the Si wheels.

Also, you could always get a set of four 15" wheels that are guaranteed to be lighter than your 17's. Rota's. You could get four Slips or Attacks for close to $400.
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

LowRYda03ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Heres some pics with my SI rims, i use them for the winter time

Old 01-13-2005
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
I dont think I've seen any sedans with em though...I think that would be pretty hot actually.
Old 01-13-2005
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dyst0pia
How heavy are your 17's per wheel, tire included? I drive an '03 Si with the stock 15's, and they are around 44lbs a wheel, which might be heavier than your 17's. You might want to make sure your 17's are actually heavier before you drop the cash on the Si wheels.

Also, you could always get a set of four 15" wheels that are guaranteed to be lighter than your 17's. Rota's. You could get four Slips or Attacks for close to $400.
You can pretty much bet on the Si wheels being lighter in weight than most 17s out there.
Old 01-13-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Eh, don't care for the newer si rims that much.
Old 01-13-2005
Banned

^^ oh sheet I wasnt even paying attention to that...I wouldnt waste my money on 03' Si wheels either. Just go buy some rotas...
Old 01-13-2005
Premium Member

shmik1 has disabled reputation
LowRYda03ex, your car would look so much better w/ a drop

03 si, btw..
Old 01-13-2005
Once boosted now i-VTEC

C Orndorff is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know how the who has the black 2dr with 02-03 si rims?
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

LowRYda03ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Everyone who tells me that doesnt have a body kit. One little bump and im out a lot of money. It would look better though, but i dont want to deal with that much of a pain in the ***
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

Dark_Pyro7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by caorndorff
Anyone know how the who has the black 2dr with 02-03 si rims?
check mine out. Lowered on goldline springs w/stock struts. For now. Really want some Tein SS. It just didnt look right without being dropped a little. So had to take the cheap way. But it works, cant complain. Can get a little bouncy at times though. Esp if dont have good roads.
Old 01-14-2005
Banned

Originally Posted by Dark_Pyro7
check mine out. Lowered on goldline springs w/stock struts. For now. Really want some Tein SS. It just didnt look right without being dropped a little. So had to take the cheap way. But it works, cant complain. Can get a little bouncy at times though. Esp if dont have good roads.
If you're talking about the car in your sig. You dont have 02-03 Si wheels.
Old 01-16-2005
Registered!!

Dark_Pyro7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Whoops, my bad, most people ask about the 99 SI rims.
Old 01-16-2005
Still in the game...

scatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to beholdscatman is a splendid one to behold
03 si wheels will look ghey on ur car, hands down. dont do it
Old 01-16-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
03 Si, as in EP3? Check the bolt pattern, they may have changed it to 5 lug that year... or 2004... not sure.....
Old 01-17-2005
Registered!!

elitecivicex01 will become famous soon enoughelitecivicex01 will become famous soon enough

2003 Civic Si hatch OEM rims & tires. bought for $320 from a friend a lil over a year ago. love them and yes, they are somewhat lighter weight than my EX steelies with hubcaps. hahah.

sorry its not a sedan, but i figured since no1else has posted the RIGHT Si rims, i decided to help out and at least post what it is you're lookin' for.

EDIT:::: pardon the VTEC sticker on one of those pix. maaad old ...they were reflective silver vinyl...gone now tho

Last edited by elitecivicex01; 01-17-2005 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

rover_sg is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Si wheels, help!

Originally Posted by C Orndorff
Well this is it. VTEC for all SOHC cars explained. Before you even read this I want you all to know that all figures are form both 1996-2000 Honda tech book and 2001-2003 Honda Tech book. I have a few pages scanned in form the books to verify all figures.
To start there are three kinds of SOHC VTEC that Honda has ever produced. First there is standard SOHC VTEC this was found on the 1996-2000 civic EX (D16Y8), and the 1992-1995 EX and SI (D16Z6). This works the same as DOHC VTEC (only on the intake side no SOHC motor has VTEC on the exhaust side). By using three cam profiles and three rocker arms per cylinder, View diagrams. The second kind of SOHC VTEC is called three stage VTEC It is only found in the UK or Japan on a D15B. This kind isn’t really important to the USDM market, but if you want to read more on it follow this link. http://www.leecao.com/honda/vtec/3stagevtec.html The third and final kind of SOHC VTEC is VTEC-E This is found on the 1996-2000 civic HX and the 2001-2003 HX and (sorry to say it EX, yes that’s right are EX is a VTEC-E) VTEC-E is different because it only has two rocker arms and two lobes on the intake side (not Three) The way it works is from 0-4500 rpm one valve opens all the way while the other one opens less then when VTEC hits a Timing piston, spring and a Synchronizing piston all slide over locking the two together making the both open and close on the hotter cam profile. Here are the Cam specs for the D17A2 (look at diagrams 4 and 5)
D17A2 (EX)
Intake Exhaust (Remember the bigger the number the more it opens)
PRI 38.604 mm 38.784 mm
SEC 32.848 mm
So from 0-4500 rpm it is like having the equivalent of two valves opening at 35.726 (because one Is opening all the way at 38.604mm and the other not as much at 32.848mm) (this is still hotter then a lx with a 35.299 mm (Intake) and a 37.281mm (exhaust) after VTEC hits both rocker arms ride the 38.604mm profile that much better then the LX. This is the exact same way the HX works only the HX has slightly different cam specs.
D17A6 (HX)
Intake Exhaust
PRI 38.427 mm 38.784 mm
SEC 32.197 mm
D17A1 (DX/LX)
Intake Exhaust
PRI 35.299 mm 37.281 mm
They both have VTEC-E; the VTEC-E is for economy. But you say what my EX gets worse gas mileage then a DX LX and a HX Why? Simple, it’s all in the ECU. Honda dose some tricky things with there stock tuning. The EX has more fuel dropped in when in VTEC (Stock) then the HX. Infact the HX runs quite lean. Also the DX LX have a worse cam profile all the time allowing less air in so there for it needs less fuel. Not only this but the DX/LX, HX, and the EX all have different ignition Maps. Honda is so tricky with there stock ECU tuning that because of tuning alone that is why the Integra GSR makes all its power at high rpm’s, why did they do that you may ask. Because too many consumers complained about torque steer at low rpms for the first year of its production.
Now on to older SOHC VTEC. Standard SOHC VTEC is the same type you will find in a DOHC car (only without the exhaust side) how it works is there are three cam lobes and three rocker arms on the intake side. First from 0-4800 the outside rocker arms open and close by the outside lobes. Then when VTEC hits two Synchronizing pins slide over and lock onto the Mid Rocker. The Mid rocker follows the VTEC cam lobe.

Here are the specs for the D16Y8 cam
D16Y8
Intake Exhaust
PRI 36.778 38.008
MID 38.274
SEC 37.065

So the Y8 head is better until VTEC hits on are cars then are heads have a slight advantage.
Also another side note VTEC-E dose not use lost motion assemblies like every other kind of VTEC ever.

Here are the specs on what it takes to activate VTEC

1 Your MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor must read 0hg (aka 0 inches of vacuum). When it reads this it will send a 3volt signal to the ECU.

2. Your throttle has to be open 100% because your TPS sensor has to send a 4.5-volt signal to the ECU.

3. Your coolant temp has to be at running temp.

4. Vehicle speed has to be above 20mph.

5. You have to have 65-80 oil psi.

6. The engine must be running at a minimum of 4500 RPM

When all of this happens your ECU sends a 12-volt signal to your VTEC solenoid.

Also a common misbelieve is that the louder you VTEC is the better. Absolutely not! Last month I got to drive a 11.874 sec N/A H22 powered 93 civic hatch. This thing had kick *** VTEC wow. When it hit it was like a kick in the nuts. But there wasn’t a big noise change, but wow you really felt it especially to run an 11 sec at 5280 ft above sea level.

So this is it everything on SOHC VTEC. I did a lot of research (reading tech books) and a lot of talking to a lot of people. I know all the Specs here are absolutely correct because they all cam from Honda Tech books, I have included scanned copies so nobody can refute these claims. Now its Friday night so I’m going to wrap this up so I can go out, but I will add more this weekend.
bro... i wish to make an enquiry

my ride is a Rover 216 Coupe 1.6A wit stock engine D16Z2 (SOHC 16V)

i want to swap wit SOHC V-TEC so which engine is suitable without modifying de engine mounting?

D16Y8 or
D16Z6 ???
as far as i know, i can easily swap (plug & play) wit D16A8 DOHC non-VTEC same engine mounting as my original D16Z2

btw what's engine code for SOHC
VTEC-E ???
isit same engine mounting as my D16Z2?

appreciate your valueable advise here
thank you

Last edited by rover_sg; 02-13-2011 at 09:08 AM.