Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

why do larger sized tires cost more?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
why do larger sized tires cost more?

curious, why do tires for larger inch rims cost more than the smaller diamaters. is it because of the extra material used to make that tire or someone just said "hey, lets knock up the price for the bigger tires cause if they got money for 16" + rims, im sure their willing to pay $160 or so for a single tire. On top of that, lets charge even more for the lower profile tires".

anyone know?
Old 01-05-2005
Registered!!

mootlif3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure myself, always been curious about this. I'm guessing it's because of the materials, or something. I dunno, I'm clueless.
Old 01-05-2005
master of the culinary martial arts

masarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of light
Also because far fewer people want non-standard tire sizes. There's thousands of times more people wanting everyday stock-sized tires, so they manufacture thousands more of those and offer better prices due to more competition and the fact that most people will buy the cheapest tire they can. Manufacturers know that you'll pay more money for a larger/higher-performance tire. Probably the price is also higher because research and development costs, fancy marketing campaigns, sponsorships, plant set-up costs, and limited-production run costs are higher for high performance tires so to make any profit from the relatively small number of specialty tires they sell, they have to charge more. But all this is just conjecture since I don't work for a tire manufacturer.
Old 01-05-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
yes, they're less common so they have to charge more. plus they have to be designed to with handle a lot more than what a normal tire would handle with less rubber.
Old 01-05-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
its because they pay rappers a lot of money to say " i'm sittin on low pros " and then epopel will want to sit on low peos like the rappers do
Old 01-05-2005
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
its because how many they sell... less quanity sold=higher price to justify designing them.

hence why the 225/30/20 are 357$ each... and btw.. BFG sold 8 sets last year....8!

also thats why 215/35 are alot cheaper than a 235/35 because how many sold...

riley

185/70/14 or w/e is sold like to every tom **** and harry so their cheap