Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Question about [HAWK] brake pads and using the OEM shim

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004
Mex
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
Question about [HAWK] brake pads and using the OEM shim

well, I'm about to swap out the old EBCs with Hawk pads, and have a question. for some reason, the EBC greenstuff instructions said not to use the oem metal shim, so i just put the brake grease on the back of the pad and installed it. I'm wondering, should i use the OEM shim with my Hawk pads, or leave them as is? it looks like the pads already came with some kind of thin shim cover on them (hopefully someone reading this has hawk pads too and knows what I mean).
Old 11-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrazyCakes is an unknown quantity at this point
i put mine on with the shim. you are normaly supposed to. then put antisqueel stuff on the back of the shim.
Old 11-07-2004
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
I used the shim too. I haven't experienced any problems.
Old 11-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mex
well, I'm about to swap out the old EBCs with Hawk pads, and have a question. for some reason, the EBC greenstuff instructions said not to use the oem metal shim, so i just put the brake grease on the back of the pad and installed it. I'm wondering, should i use the OEM shim with my Hawk pads, or leave them as is? it looks like the pads already came with some kind of thin shim cover on them (hopefully someone reading this has hawk pads too and knows what I mean).
no need to use the OEM shims, like you said, the hawk pads already come with some installed on the pads. I just put some squeak grease on the back of the pads and installed them, no problems yet.
Old 11-08-2004
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
well I installed them yesterday before anyone posted, so I went ahead and left the OEM shims off. The small shims that came with the Hawk pads should suffice. No odd noises yet.. they're working well