Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Cracked rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004
Mex
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
Cracked rotor?

I was out doing some work on my suspension when I noticed this on my passenger side rotor. What gives?

about a month after I installed them I began to have a grinding feel to my brake pedal when i braking at low speeds (5-15mph), almost sounded like gurgling water coming from the wheel area. here it is, 8 months later, and the noise has practically gone away. so I'm wondering, did I have a warped rotor that kind of fixed itself, or have my brake pads formed to the shape of my messed-up rotor, or what. I have some Hawk pads waiting to be installed, but I don't want to put them on if it's just gonna mess up the pads. I'm thinking if I put them on and still hear the noise, I'll just go back to my stock rotors.

should I be worried about that crack?
Old 09-20-2004
Registered!!

7Gnoob is an unknown quantity at this point
I would change the rotor before putting new pads. It's not worth the risk of ruining your new pads. You should really change that rotor ASAP. What if it gets worse??
Old 09-20-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
are those rotors from ebay?
Old 09-20-2004
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
got in on a ProStop GB long ago with Dezod. They're great rotors, I think I just may have broke them in wrong.
Old 09-20-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Its a crack for sure. Look closer, see if it starts at the drill hole, I wouldn't be surprised.... thats why you don't use drilled rotors. Properly made "crossdrilled" rotors have the holes cast in, even then, they're not ideal.
Honestly, ditch them for blanks, and beat the hell out of them all you want. Its probably from overheating them.
Old 09-21-2004
Mex
Registered!!

they're dimpled though, not drilled
Old 09-21-2004
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
those cross-drilled / slotted rotors suck.. many people use brembo blanks and do in-house machining then sell them, they are not safe trust me!! I used to have them and I learned a lesson because mine warped really bad and when I stopped it was terrible!!! Now I have regular Brembo blanks with the Axxis ultimate pads. I got that setup for about $100 bucks and installed it myself. Now, I couldn't be happier, unless I had rear disc too! Always use new pads with new rotors, thats what it said on the Brembo box....
Old 09-21-2004
Registered!!

duyaknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn that sucks. Those rotors cost a pretty penny too. And yeah, those aren't cross drilled, they're dimpled like he said. I think the dimple is just for the cross drill look...haha. Sorry that happened to you man. You must be a hard driver...hehe.
Old 09-22-2004
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
I have these rotors on my Civic for well over 10,000 miles and have no cracks what so ever. Not to mention, almost 3000 miles with turbo now.
Old 09-22-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I personally don't think it is a huge deal. the crack doesn't seem to come from the dimple. I would keep an eye on it though. But if you really wanted to play it safe, then get a set of blanks.
Old 09-22-2004
Registered!!

4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light4jacks is a glorious beacon of light
It's probably too late (8 months) to see if the Vendor will replace it. But I would listen to the above post and change it out. It will probably never happen but, If the crack were to suddenly fall apart, you could really mess up the rotor pads, maybe other stuff. In real life, there are vibrations inside that crack that are transfering to the Pads, and wearing that pad down faster than the brake pad on the other side. Not a real big deal, but I definatly wouldn't put a new set of pads on.