Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

how often do you rotate your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jotosuds17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question how often do you rotate your tires?

i'm following the honda manual guidelines, and they say every 10,000, but i know people do it more often.

i have 16,000 miles, and i've rotated once... should i do it more often?
Old 04-27-2004
No Title

maxsin is an unknown quantity at this point
I say every 6,000. Just to make sure that the condition of the tires are ok. Check for nails and such.

Last edited by maxsin; 04-27-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
My tires have these arrows on them saying that they can only spin in a certain direction to increase ground rainwater dispersing efficiency. Therefore, I can only rotate the tires from each side from front to back, but not from one side to the other.
Old 04-27-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by armieo
My tires have these arrows on them saying that they can only spin in a certain direction to increase ground rainwater dispersing efficiency. Therefore, I can only rotate the tires from each side from front to back, but not from one side to the other.

as long as they arn't Asymmetrical a tire shop can rotate the tires on the wheels, and give you a bit more tread life.
Old 04-27-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
And that costs money right?

And then they scratch ur rims and are like. "Uh.. we didn't do that."

Or: "Uh.. we're not liable."
Old 04-27-2004

alienmeatsack has a spectacular aura aboutalienmeatsack has a spectacular aura about
I move mine on the wheels from front to back when I change my brake fluid. And then I have the tire shop move them from side to side for me later.

I've found that this helps esp in the front due to the uneven power distribution and the engine weight on one side.

Unfortunately I need new tires. The tread is wearing thin (too many track days on my streeties) and I have punctures in 3 of the 4 tires from stupid Tulsa crappy roads filled with staples and nails.
Old 04-27-2004
Registered!!

invasian is an unknown quantity at this point
had mine rotated and balanced around 70miles (when i bought my rims)
Old 04-27-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
I try to rotate them around every oil change so around 7k.
Old 04-27-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I do the street wheels every 5K. Probably excessive, but oh well.
I do the Race wheels every 2-3 events, just to keep them semi-even.
Old 04-27-2004
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Every 6-7k.
Old 04-27-2004
mig
Registered!!

mig is an unknown quantity at this point
every oil change (6k mi). dig the rocks and other crap out, plus a good chance to clean/polish the inner part of the wheel. remember to check the spare tire pressure also.
Old 04-27-2004
< My future wife.

How much is this costing you guys to remount the tire on different rims EVERY 5k miles?
Old 04-27-2004
YUL
Registered!!

YUL has a spectacular aura aboutYUL has a spectacular aura about
ya man..i've got a set of steelies with winter tires on and i just put my summer set up on.

I do it all myself and rotate them when I change to back to my winter set up in the fall (every 8,000 kms or so)
Old 04-27-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
How much is this costing you guys to remount the tire on different rims EVERY 5k miles?
WTF are you talking about? All you need to do is move the wheel to a different place on the car. No one is remounting anything. If you've got directional tires you can have them "flipped" to the other side half way through their life (5/32-6/32" of tread remaining), to keep the wear even, the standard mounting/balancing charge of the shop would apply. Its not necessary, some people do it.
It takes 20 minutes in you're garage. If anyone is paying someone more than $10 or an equivelent case of beer to do this, let me know, you're wasting beer money.
Old 04-27-2004
< My future wife.

If you rotate directional tires on rims from one side of the car to the other without getting them remounted, wouldn't that make the tires go against the direction they are meant to roll?
Old 04-27-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Directionals go FRONT to BACK on the same side of the car. Thats all you do. Get them off the drive wheels and along for the ride.
Go to tire rack's website. They have a wonderful explaination page of how to rotate tires.
Old 04-27-2004
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
about every 2K

sometimes every few hundred miles, depending on road racing/autoxing schedule

i love abusing america's tire program
Old 04-27-2004
< My future wife.

Originally posted by Boilermaker1
Directionals go FRONT to BACK on the same side of the car. Thats all you do. Get them off the drive wheels and along for the ride.
Go to tire rack's website. They have a wonderful explaination page of how to rotate tires.
Uh I know how to rotate tires but I also thought it was healthy to change the sides too.

Like..

Switch right front for left rear

Switch left front for right rear.
Old 04-27-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
its recomended to rotate front to back approximately every 5,000 miles to even out tire wear and maximize tread life. Going only side to side in most cases will prematurely wear out your front tires. As your front tires USUALLY take more wear then rears. Lots of tire shops rotate for free to try to earn your business....
Old 04-28-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Uh I know how to rotate tires but I also thought it was healthy to change the sides too.

Like..

Switch right front for left rear

Switch left front for right rear.
You can't change sides with directional tires. YOu just have to suck up the fact that you are going to get wear. It is good to change sides but only on NON DIRECTIONAL tires.
Old 04-28-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
ya know, Grassroots motorsports did a test with Directional tires, and they found that running the tires backwards didnt have any noticeable effect on performance, wet or dry.... This may not be the case with all tires though. (They did find that they were a little noisier though)
Old 04-28-2004
< My future wife.

Originally posted by robbclark1
You can't change sides with directional tires. YOu just have to suck up the fact that you are going to get wear. It is good to change sides but only on NON DIRECTIONAL tires.
See.. this is the sort of helpful information I needed. Thanks robb.