Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Question on kuhmos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
botlbobjr is an unknown quantity at this point
Question on kuhmos?

I am puchasing velox VX-6R and Kuhmo 712s
Are these good tires? I was told good all around.
Old 04-22-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
Good all around...not really racing wise, but if you are just looking for a regular tire to cruise around in....go for it.
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
I had them on my hatchback and HATED them. They track all over the place. Meaning that you are fighting the whell all the time. I have heard this from a bunch of people as well. I switched over to Bridgestones and they are much much better.
Old 04-22-2004
7thgen Power Maker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to beholddezod is a splendid one to behold
Kumhos are a great economical high performance tire. They grip quite a bit (too much for Auto-X & Drag)...They are very noisey as far as road noise. They wear fairly quick (only a 280 treadlife). They have been known to have bubble and deformity issues....They also are fairly cheap in price. They do track a lot ("They track all over the place"-bobbyd) I can't deny that. If your looking for something just to get you by and get around on, they are perfect. Otherwise, I'd recommend BF Goodrich G-Force KDW 2's.
Old 04-22-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
i had 712's on my motegis and they were loud. but they gripped good imo.
Old 04-22-2004
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
i had em before! they're great on dry road and it give you gives you lotsa miles on em... but when it rains better go really slow... I almost had a couple of close ones! and it ain't nice almost pissin your pants!

Search more online... pay a couple extra bucks more and it's worth it... I have YokohamaParada Spec2 and they're great! no problems with em!
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

EternalVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
i cant complain about my 712's. i have over 20k miles on them and have about 1 or 2/32nds over the wear bar. a few notes. they track a little, yes. noise gets worse as they wear. nothing i cant stand. wet grip is awesome, you cant drive like its a dry road, but you cant do that with ANY tire. dry grip is awesome. i havent had any Quality issues. overall, they are a BARGAIN for what they are. they perform with the best of the big names(Yoko ES100, Prada Spec2, etc.) You wont hate the purchase, though for the next set, you may want to upgrade.
Old 04-22-2004

GreenNVicious can only hope to improve
I can vouch for saying they bubbles and they're loud, I dumped my 17s for some Si rims that came with free stock FIRESTONES, looks like i'm getting d1cked with tires no matter what i do. and yeah, they wear down too quick, if you're gonna spend the $, get some good tires
Old 04-22-2004
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
my old kumhos bubbled... and i dont' know why, my paradas haven't bubbled and i have rode those harder
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light
i have 712's... they are aight.... and yes the track all over the place...!!! that sux... but they are not to bad price wise... but like ever one said above.. if u are just using for cruize then go for it... other wise i recomend the YOK's
Old 04-22-2004
Registered!!

02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light02civic_rida is a glorious beacon of light
the Yokohama AVS ES100 that is!
Old 04-22-2004
MIT
Registered!!

MIT is an unknown quantity at this point
whats tread wear rating on those Yoko ES100?
Old 04-22-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
what do you guys mean when you say they track all over the place??
Old 04-23-2004
Registered!!

^^^ means.... that the tires make u fight the wheel every once in while... Like ur going straight and then out of no where the tire goes to the right or the left... Pretty much it just hits something and the road and wants to go a seperate way
Old 04-23-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
oh ya, mine do that. i have the 712s
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

imo, you cant get a better tire for the price
Old 04-26-2004
Registered!!

yaro is an unknown quantity at this point
It's only about $50-60 per set to move up to the Kumho Ecsta MX tire, which is way more than worth it in my opinion. Yeah, you get shittier tread life...but what a life it is. After the tire gets warmed up, it is absolutely awesome. After getting a set of MXs on my car, the limit of the car became the suspension and the driver, instead of the shitty stock tires. I'd recommend MXs to pretty much anyone at this point.
Old 04-26-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by yaro
It's only about $50-60 per set to move up to the Kumho Ecsta MX tire, which is way more than worth it in my opinion. Yeah, you get shittier tread life...but what a life it is. After the tire gets warmed up, it is absolutely awesome. After getting a set of MXs on my car, the limit of the car became the suspension and the driver, instead of the shitty stock tires. I'd recommend MXs to pretty much anyone at this point.

i couldnt agree more. however, i was comparing the 712s to other tires in its price range, as well as in its own performance category. the MX's arent in the same category, though they are a very viable choice
Old 04-26-2004
Registered!!

yaro is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by EternalVTEC
i couldnt agree more. however, i was comparing the 712s to other tires in its price range, as well as in its own performance category. the MX's arent in the same category, though they are a very viable choice
Yeah, sorry, I should have made that clear. As I recall, the Supra 712s are Ultra High Performance Summer tread. Treadware is around 280 as I recall. The Kumho MX on the other hand is a MAX Performance tire - treadware rating is only around 220. The difference? Basically increased grip all around - especially in the rain. If you are not the most experienced driver, you might not even really notice a difference because you wouldn't drive your car hard enough to know the difference of tire adhesions at the limit.

Performance/technology wise the Supra 712 and Ecsta MX are very different tires, as the tire shops explained to me. The 712s are basically a decent tread design and composition that has been around for a fairly long time. The Kumho MX is a much newer compound, and has a lot of trickle down from the racing Kumho has been doing lately.

Now if you really wanted to get some performance, slap some Kuhmo Victoracers, Ectsa V700 or some other R Compound tires on there with a treadware rating of 50. You'll get maybe 5000 miles off of them...but damn what kind of miles they'll be.
Old 04-26-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Kumho Lied about the Tread wear on the MX much in the same way as Falken Lied about the Tread wear of their Azenis.... both say that they are 200, but in reality they are more like 140 or lower.... Both of those tires are the top tires for SCCA solo 2 classes that require street tires. also the size for the 205/50-15 is wrong, they are much wider then 205, The Falkens in 205/50-15 measured out to 218....
Old 04-26-2004
Registered!!

OniChi is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll stick with the better than stock tires (Kumho 712's) with my 17's i just got.. then get new set of Yokohoma ES100 when they wear down.