Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

CLUELESS MEMBER, if you know about rims please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pibe54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question CLUELESS MEMBER, if you know about rims please HELP!

When I bought my rims I asked for 4 lug 17" Chrome Diablo Burginis. I bought them just liking the style and didn't know anything about rims. When i drove off i noticed that the quality of my ride was shaky. I figured it was just an aligment, so i had the 30000 mile maintenance done at honda and on the paper it said they did an aligment so i figured that was done, but it was still a little shaky. I later learned that my tires are thin (captol negotiator tires 205/40/17) and figured that was making my ride shaky. A couple of weeks ago i took off my rims and noticed it had eight holes. When i tried selling them someone told me theirs a difference between integras and accords and that it wont fit. integras are 4X100 and accords are 4X115. I spent 1300 buying these rims with tires. Was unsatisfied with the quality ride. What do i do? The rims are in excellent shape and basically new. Im trying to sell them for 900 dollars but dont want someone to buy them and go through same experience. I went to wheels next and browsed through rims that fit my car but that one didn't show up. Did the rim shop i went to sell me wheels that dont belong on my car? Are the tires the only problem with the car? what does 4x115 and 4X100 mean and what is the size of mine and the rims? Does 8 holes mean it fits 5 lug too?

Sorry for the long thread, but i really need help and dont know what to do. Anything info helps . I emailed Diablo many times but they dont respond. thanks you 7thgenmembers.
Old 03-28-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
4x100 and 4x114.3 are the actual lug patterns.

As for your ride shaking....that would have nothing to do with alignment, your alignment is your camber, and although since you have smaller tires your camber will just be a TAD off it wouldn't make that much of a noticeable difference. A

The 205/40's will give you a very rough ride with a lot of tire noise, atleast that's what I noticed with mine when I first bought them.

As for the 8 holes, it could be a universal 4 lug. Meaning one set of holes is for 4x100 and the other for 4x114.3. No they will not fit 5 lug cars.

Other then that, dunno what else to say.
Old 03-28-2004
Registered!!

So all i need to do is get better tires? Everywhere i went the price was from 1450 to 2000 dollars, but this place said 1300 so i went with them, i guess they did that type of deal for the bad tires they gave me. I also wanted to drop the car but didn't want to risk more ride quality so i kept it high.

heres where you can take a look at them: http://www.geocities.com/morphies007/Rims.htm
Old 03-29-2004
Registered!!

BigDaddyHonda is an unknown quantity at this point
If your ride is shaking & vibrating, then you could likely have an issue with rim(s)/tire(s) combo being out of balance instead of out of alignment.

You have a poorer-quality tire mounted on an average-quality wheel, which is then expected to spin at 50-80 MPH with no shakes or wobbles. The company that mounted it DOES put it on a balancing machine, but they can't mess up the chrome front of the wheel. They have to put A BUNCH of stick-on weights inside the back of your wheels to attempt to stop the shaking.
1)Sometimes those weights fall off after you put the wheels/tires on your car!
or
2)Sometimes the person balancing the wheels/tires is not very good or doesn't give a rat's ***
or
3)Sometimes the quality of the wheel or tire (or both) is such that it won't smooth out no matter how much weight you put on the back of the rim.

The cheapest thing to try first: on a nice sunny day, take your set to a local tire shop with a computerized tire balancer and have them re-balanced. Then you could try them again on your car before moving on to a more drastic step like new tires or giving up & selling them.
Old 03-29-2004
Registered!!

gaugeof12 has a spectacular aura aboutgaugeof12 has a spectacular aura about
When your wheels were installed, did you use hub (Centric) rings? If not I would suggest getting some before you spend a lot more $ on tires or re balancing. I bought a set from discount tire for $10. I mean for $10 its worth a shot.
Old 03-29-2004
Registered!!

Should i just head over to lets say firestone or bridgestone and ask them to check if the tires have the stick on weights or if they fell off because i dont know how to check for em? I dont know if they gave me hub centric rings. But i will also ask them about this too so i could maybe get it all done in one shot. Wat u see in the picture is basically what i got with some wheel locks. I dont know if they put weights or hub rings.
Old 03-29-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
slystad810 is an unknown quantity at this point
They're probably just out of balance. Take them over to Discount Tire and tell them you need them all rebalanced. Tell them you want them dynamic balanced with tape weights. Ask them to check and see if you have hubcentric rings, and if you don't, order some.

That should take care of your problem, if it doesn't you may have a bad wheel/tire.
Old 03-29-2004
Registered!!

is it a good idea too put them on again, i do so much driving now. These rims weigh about 25 pounds each. Do heavy wheels kill gas?
thanks so far on the help
Old 03-30-2004
Registered!!

i called americas tire company because i couldnt find discount tire. they told me 20 dollars a tire for dynamic balancing and tape weights, he also said that car will feel like riding on glass after this. I called the shop that originally sold me the rims, he said that they do put weights and to just go back so he could rebalance them. If all goes well, am i going to have this done every few weeks or months to get good ride quality.? what is the weight of a stock rim?
Old 03-30-2004
Registered!!

hondacivic218 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey pibe 54 are ever going to reply to my emails i bought ur projects u can at least help me out. for some reason the middle light on boot are different colors once blue and one is like a white color? why? thanks