Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

17's of 18's Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
17's of 18's Need help

Im wondering what will be better. Im looking for performance and i know about the different weights of the rims but i need to know what would be better for me. I plan on getting a turbo so. Are 17's better performance wise(smaller diamater, can spin up and grip quicker?) or 18's. I have never bought rims but want the ones that will be best without taking a performance hit.
Thanks alot in advance
Old 01-04-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I have never bought rims but want the ones that will be best without taking a performance hit.
If you upsize at all, you're losing performance. 15" as light as you can possibly go.
17s just look nice on the street, they seem to fit the car best as far as a perspective goes, but will slow you down. 18" and up is just getting up into excessiveness and making your tire dissapear.
Old 01-04-2004
Registered!!

666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Out of those two choices in size the 17's would be more performance oriented, the would be lighter than the 18's so you would'nt have as much unsprung weight as you would with the 18's.

Now if I was going turbo and for all out performance, I would'nt go any larger than a 16" wheel. A nice forged aluminum 15" or 16" wheel would do the job very nicely and give it sort of a "sleeper look".
Old 01-04-2004

silverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the roughsilverem2 is a jewel in the rough
ok, but i prefer to get a 17, and then lower it in the summer also with the full tein kit. Should I start looking into 16? Im doing this now, so i dont go and buy and make a big mistake. Also, what brands would I be looking into? I see alot of Enkei which i was thinking of, also volk.
Any other help you can give me would be great. Thanks
Old 01-04-2004
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I thought I wanted performance when I got my rims but then I changed my mind and wanted the 18" look would have looked way better on my car but I am running 17" with 215/45 and stuck with them since my next car will be 5 lug and 19"
Old 01-04-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
it all depends on what 17's or 18's your putting on. Some will have a much larger performance hit then others
Old 01-04-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
BTW my current 18's weight LESS then my old 16's
Old 01-04-2004
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
i'd look into some centerline if you want performance. Very light and strong rims. or look into any other lightweight rim.
Old 01-04-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by tfnaaf

Your 16s would still have less inerta then your 18.... the 18 would have to be SUBSTANTUALLY lighter for them to perfrom like your "heavy" 16s.
Old 01-04-2004
Registered!!

666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by tfnaaf
Yes I do realize that some larger rims will weigh less than some smaller, but If you have the same model/brand wheel in two different sizes then they will have different weights.