Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Need new 15 wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
horacioarce is an unknown quantity at this point
Need new 15 wheels

hello everyone i just purchased 01 black civic ex. im very pleased with the car, except that i just found out that i of the rims is no good so i need to purchase 1 rim or just get the set (4). The ones i have now are chrome, but what im looking for are the blackwith silver lip or gunmetalwsilver lip. So here are my questions?

1) Should i stick with the 15" wheels, does it look good? or can i go 16, 17 without lowering or messing with the cars suspension. Im in a tight budget , so im not looking to modify the car, just the wheels.

2) It seems that theres not much of a selection for 15" wheels out there. Can anyone guide me to a good inexpensive place to get the set.

3) will the 15, 16, 17 make a difference in driving, racing etc. I drive in new york city alot of pot holes shitty roads. What would be better. all i want is nice looking wheels. what do you guys recommend ? Any pictures

PS im new to all of this . any information will be helpful
Old 09-12-2003
Registered!!

papi2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point
i bought rota curcuit 8 this week... i love them ....they weigh 12 lbs so they are nice and light and the look good too....
Old 09-12-2003
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Re: Need new 15 wheels

Originally posted by horacioarce

1) Should i stick with the 15" wheels, does it look good? or can i go 16, 17 without lowering or messing with the cars suspension. Im in a tight budget , so im not looking to modify the car, just the wheels.

2) It seems that theres not much of a selection for 15" wheels out there. Can anyone guide me to a good inexpensive place to get the set.

3) will the 15, 16, 17 make a difference in driving, racing etc. I drive in new york city alot of pot holes shitty roads. What would be better. all i want is nice looking wheels. what do you guys recommend ? Any pictures

PS im new to all of this . any information will be helpful
1) 15s are a (small) Honda's best friend. You can go any size without lowering. If you're on a budget, stick with 15s because tires for bigger wheels ARE NOT CHEAP!

2) There are plenty of 15s to select from. The majority of people on this site doesn't have 15s as you can see, but I'll let other people guide you where you can have a better selection.

3. The bigger the wheel, the more inertia it takes for the wheel to make a revolution. Bigger wheels, no matter how light they are will sacrifice some off-the-line performance. Bigger wheels naturally run wider tires, so traction/braking improve. When it comes to a rims width your options are pretty open. A wider wheel with the right sized tire will brake better than a narrower one. Bigger wheels typically run smaller profile tires meaning you will feel/hear every road imperfection as you move towards fashion over function. However if you choose the right tire and tire size, you can find compromisable comfort if you feel like compromising.

Finding a nice looking wheel is like finding a nice looking car for someone. It's totally a personal choice and in the eye of the beholder. The only thing I can recommend you do is look around yourself and see what looks good on your car by using the cars on this site to your advantage. Pay attention to tire sizes too because that truly affects how the overall car looks.
Old 09-12-2003
Registered!!

thanks everyone for the responses.

slammed blue- what you say makes sense , can you tell me where i can get a bigger 15' wheel selection. Again im looking for blackwith silver lip or gunmetalwith silver lip

thanks
Old 09-12-2003
All Eyes On Z

From what I've seen, a lot of rims that have polished lips mostly come in sizes larger than 15s and even so I don't know a lot of companies who do that except Volk (from the top of my head). However if you find some as 15s you have a good chance of getting your wheels powdercoated black by a shop and keeping the silver lip silver/polished.

I'm not the most resourceful member when it comes to picking out wheels (sorry to say) so I'd hope someone else can help you with a selection of wheels.

This is a pic of my friend's old Racing Hart C2 EVO. It was previously silver but powdercoated black. The wheel only comes as a 17x7.

The C2 before it's powdercoated:

Old 09-12-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Well since you're saying you've got a budget, I'll get off my JDM horse before I get on it.
Here's my recommendation of $100-$175 15" rims.
Rota (any of them)
Konig Heliums
Konig Greenlights
Black Racing Pro N1
Kosei K1
Konig Holes

They're in no particular order... thats just the order I thought of them in. They're all inexpensive and lightweight.
Old 09-14-2003
Registered!!

BigDaddyHonda is an unknown quantity at this point
I think only certain Rota's are made in 15 inch with the polished rim -- you have to look for what they call "Royal Gunmetal" color. Rota makes it in the Circuit8 that papi2001civic was talking about; also the Rota Grid, Slipstream & Subzero.

You have already found the sticky thread at the top of this section that lists a lot of online wheel/tire companies, haven't you? I hope so!
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

thanks for the replies everyone
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

Also if i get 15'' wheels , which should i choose and why (15x6.5 or 15x7) considering my tires are 205/50/R15

Also how many lug nuts 4 , 5
Old 09-15-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Either one. It doesn't make much difference. 4x100 is the bolt pattern and 205/50/15 is a little small to keep the stock tire diameter. try 205/55/15.
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

that means i would have to buy new tires???

And if thats the case id rather go with the bigger wheel 17" wheel nd tire package $500
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

DizWikedCivic is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by SlammedBlueEM2
From what I've seen, a lot of rims that have polished lips mostly come in sizes larger than 15s and even so I don't know a lot of companies who do that except Volk (from the top of my head). However if you find some as 15s you have a good chance of getting your wheels powdercoated black by a shop and keeping the silver lip silver/polished.

I'm not the most resourceful member when it comes to picking out wheels (sorry to say) so I'd hope someone else can help you with a selection of wheels.

This is a pic of my friend's old Racing Hart C2 EVO. It was previously silver but powdercoated black. The wheel only comes as a 17x7.

The C2 before it's powdercoated:

those are my wheels eh
Old 09-15-2003
Samoan<^>(-_-)<^>Power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
krayziebonet4l is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by horacioarce
Also if i get 15'' wheels , which should i choose and why (15x6.5 or 15x7) considering my tires are 205/50/R15

Also how many lug nuts 4 , 5
no you can use those tires if you buy 15" rims
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

BigDaddyHonda is an unknown quantity at this point
As everyone has already said, 205/50-15's will work with either 15 inch rim width, but you will have to be careful when you drive because you won't have much of a cushion between your new wheels and those potholes because of the short sidewalls on your tires
Old 09-15-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
also the 205/50-15's are 5% smaller in diamiter then stock. so your spedomiter will be off by 5%(slower) (100mph = 95mph and 65mph = 61.25mph ect ect.....) It will help with acceleration a bit, but you will lose some top speed. Not a problem with the type of racing I do (top speed don't mean squat!)

I love mine, though they are just for racing!
Old 09-15-2003
Registered!!

thanks guys i went with these adr $428 everything included
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	conceptprosinglegunmetal.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	9311  
Old 09-16-2003
All Eyes On Z

Originally posted by BigDaddyHonda
As everyone has already said, 205/50-15's will work with either 15 inch rim width, but you will have to be careful when you drive because you won't have much of a cushion between your new wheels and those potholes because of the short sidewalls on your tires
That's why I love my 205/55-15.
Old 09-16-2003
All Eyes On Z

Originally posted by DizWikedCivic
those are my wheels eh
I miss them, too.
Old 09-18-2003
Rota C10 Coming Soon.

mphole is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by papi2001civic
i bought rota curcuit 8 this week... i love them ....they weigh 12 lbs so they are nice and light and the look good too....
can i see a pic of your car with this?(c8)
very curious to see what it looks like in our cars.
Old 09-18-2003
Registered!!

hachiroku is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

I know it's too late since you bought your wheels,but i vote for the Circuit 8's. I have a set of gunmetals "15 on my NBP and they look good (for racing only!) .
Old 09-19-2003
Rota C10 Coming Soon.

mphole is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm going after bronze circuit 10 for my silver coupe.