Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Good tires?(updated with more tire ?'s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003
Post Whore General

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
Good tires?(updated with more tire ?'s)

I'm looking at getting some good tires for my stock 03 EX wheels. I want tires that grip really good and are good for all weather. I found some Falken ZE-512 ZIEX. I'm getting them in 205/55/15 and they are $67 each. Are these good tires for what I want? And is that a good price?

Last edited by Jodster; 09-13-2003 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2003
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
Anyone?
Old 09-07-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
They are pretty good, Decent dry traction and Decent Wet traction. Not the Best but not the worst, and for $67 the price is hard to beat.
Old 09-07-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
i had those tires 215/45/17. great tires for price. no regret
all season tires too M+S
Old 09-07-2003
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
If you're looking for an all season tire I would not recommend Falkens at all...They are cheap but won't last.

It all depends on the type of driving you want to do bro.

If this is strictly an a to b car then I would get Michelin Harmonies, my dad's g/f uses these and they're super quiet and great in all weather.

If you want to have some fun all year round...(if you drive in the snow), get a Pirelli or again, maybe a Michelin Pilot Series tire...
Old 09-07-2003
Post Whore General

I drive my cars pretty hard and take them to the limit. I've always heard good things about Falken tire. I just want a good gripping tire for a good price. And I want it to be good for the winter cause we get a lot of ice and some snow here in Cincy. As long as they grip better in the winter than the stock firecraps than I'm happy. And I figured that $67 per tire is a really good price.
Old 09-07-2003
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Jodster
I drive my cars pretty hard and take them to the limit. I've always heard good things about Falken tire. I just want a good gripping tire for a good price. And I want it to be good for the winter cause we get a lot of ice and some snow here in Cincy. As long as they grip better in the winter than the stock firecraps than I'm happy. And I figured that $67 per tire is a really good price.
that is a good price but consider this...

You buy one set of Michelin Pilot Exalto's (that's what I have)...they cost more than Falken's.

You'll buy three to four sets of Falken's before you'll even need to consider changing the Michelins...

Basically, it's the initial expense that scares people a little....all the money up front or over time with additional shop charges and fluctuating prices.
Old 09-07-2003
Post Whore General

Where the best place to get the Michelin Pilot Exalto in a 205/55/15?
Old 09-07-2003
But it's a Dry Heat

l00pb4k is an unknown quantity at this point
I have always liked Nittos...just my $.02
Old 09-07-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Hold up.....
The reason the Falkens wear out quicker is because they are made of a softer compound then the Michelins. Softer compounds = Better Dry traction. So although the Michelins will last longer, the Falkens will grip the road better (In the Dry). Wet traction is dependant on tread patterns. So they are hard to compair.

I've used 3 different tires from falken, the 502's (Originally on the car) 512's (My current street tire) and a set of Azenis sports (For autocross).

the 502's will last pretty much forever..... I still have 2 of my original 502's and they have 58,000+ miles on them (plenty of tread left too). They dont grip worth a damn, but they last a long *** time. My 512's have about 20,000 miles on them, but the tread is getting low. They grip pretty good for a street tire that suppose to last around 30,000 miles. My Azenis........ I love these tires. They will probably last about 10,000 miles, but it will be one hell of a ride!!! I can't praise them enough, the traction availible in them is nothing but amazing. For a Streetable Race tire they are hard to beat.... Cheep too, 205/50R15's run for about $65-$70
Old 09-07-2003
Bobaganoosh!

Falken's are good for the buck but they never rate as high as Pilot's, G-Force or Proxi's..I've been around the tire business for years...My Exalto's are really soft and will hold up to 51 psi. I run them lower for street and then hold very well...

Tires are very much a personal preference thing...We're talking about all weather tires here...I wouldn't trust a Falken in the rain at all much less the snow...lol. If I had the time I would dig up all the online reviews from various magazines to show you how they all rated in wet and dry and I promise you won't see Falken's anywhere in the top of the list...

What I'm talking about is a tire that can run gorceries and the track...all purpose and very agressive...You're not going to buy super soft tires if you don't intend to race auto-X every other day.

Read what the opening post was again...

I'm looking at getting some good tires for my stock 03 EX wheels. I want tires that grip really good and are good for all weather. I found some Falken ZE-512 ZIEX. I'm getting them in 205/55/15 and they are $67 each. Are these good tires for what I want? And is that a good price?
Stock wheels, all weather and grip.

At the hint of rain a Falken will become an ice skate.
Old 09-07-2003
Autocross Junky

No worries man. I agree The 512's may not be the best tire for him, but I've had no complaints with mine and I've even autocrossed with them. the 502's are crap, not worth the rubber they are made from.

The Azenis, He should most definitly Not get these tires. they are basically R compound tires with enough tread on them to appeas the DOT. (Some other tires with similar traction: Kumho MX and the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A. So far in my class of racing the 2 top tires are the Falkens and the Kumho's. The BFG's are no faster and cost 3X more so Very few people run them any more).
Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
I like my Yokohama avs es 100 they actually have grip in rain unlike my avid h4's. I have 205/50/15
Old 09-07-2003
Post Whore General

What about Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce? The tread looks good and it said that they are good for all weather. And they are $84 each. Any good?
Old 09-08-2003
Post Whore General

Any other advice on tires?
Old 09-08-2003
Registered!!

DogstyleEX is an unknown quantity at this point
since i'm up in rochester, i need something that's pretty decent in snow.. don't know how much you guys get in o-hi-o. I just picked up a set of Dunlop SP5000 Asym. i had the SportA2's, and was pretty happy with them, i'm just switching it up.. my next bet would have been RE950's from Bridgstone, if we had less snow...
Old 09-08-2003
Autocross Junky

I was borne in Rochester! My dad was a Machinist at Kodak.

Back to the subject though.... are you looking to run the same tires year round? If so I'd go with an all season tire rather then a performance tire.
Old 09-09-2003
Registered!!

BigDaddyHonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out the only Continentals I've ever wanted
the all-season "ContiExtremeContact" tire that is available in 205/55-15 from the Tire Rack for $70

LINK

Look at the responses posted by the people that have purchased them, then click on the survey link and notice how highly they were rated for snow & wet traction. That good traction in the snow & rain comes with a 400 treadwear rating too.

You should consider those before you buy...
Old 09-09-2003
Registered!!

the problem with those is that the sidewall is weak/soft... so i heard... that was the only thing that stopped me from getting those..
Old 09-09-2003
Autocross Junky

That shouldnt stop you. Unless you plan on autocrossing with them or some thing like that. Other wise you probably wont noice much of a difference.

Stiff side walls are only good for cornering.
Old 09-09-2003
Registered!!

well.. that was one of my main concerns.. i don't autox, but i've been meaning to get into it... maybe one day..

but anywho, some of the reviews said that people have actually noticed flat spots on the tires if they don't drive it constantly...
Old 09-10-2003
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
If you don't have to worry about snow, but rain (who doesn't...) AVS ES100.
Old 09-10-2003
Registered!!

Oh well, Jodster probably already has his tires bought & on the car by now
Old 09-10-2003
Post Whore General

Originally posted by BigDaddyHonda
Oh well, Jodster probably already has his tires bought & on the car by now
Well not yet! I spent the money on audio equipment instead. So I'll buy tires next month. But I'm loving the response from you guys about the tires. Does anyone have the Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce? They seem like good tires.
Old 09-13-2003
Post Whore General

Ok what about Bridgestone Potenza RE750 tires? It has a really good tread pattern and is good for wet traction too. Heres some more info.

Its says that it is a summer tire, but would this be a good tire for all year long? Anyone have these tires?
Old 09-13-2003
Registered!!

Ashock is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW. These tires are even rated better (and looks better) than the Kumho Ecsta HP4 716 i was gonna get.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

I like to take corners fast. But right now I can't b/c the stock firestones are crapped up. Should I be too concerned about the softer sidewall of the Continentals? I would comprimise some(not too much) cornering ability for quiet and comfort and good grip.
Old 09-13-2003
Registered!!

Ashock is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually comparing the side walls, the Continentals do have a soft sidewall construction, it's quite obvious. but not sure how soft it actually is when one drives.
Old 09-14-2003
Registered!!

The Bridgestone RE750's might be okay if you only have to drive on fairly flat terrain when it snows, just because of your front-wheel drive. But the summer tread compound just sorta gets hard as a rock when it gets in conditions that cold.

If you don't like the Continentals, check out the Bridgestone Potenza RE950's that DogStyleEX mentioned. They are ranked #1 in Tire Rack's high performance all-season tire category and a board favorite, but you would have to go to a different size because they don't come in 205/55-15.

It comes in the stock EX 185/65-15 (dimensions for comparision):
Tread Width 5.9" Overall Dia 24.4"

You could go with 195/60-15
Tread Width 6.3" Overall Dia 24.2"

or 205/50-15 edited to show 205/60-15 to eliminate the confusion below!
Tread Width 6.7" Overall Dia 24.7"

Last edited by BigDaddyHonda; 09-15-2003 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2003
Registered!!

02SilvCiv is an unknown quantity at this point
I would like to get the re950. what size would be the one to get out of those sizes you mentioned.

thanks
Old 09-14-2003
Registered!!

02SilvCiv is an unknown quantity at this point
I just looked up these tires.and they do not come in 205/50-15. what other size would anyone else reccomend.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Good tires?(updated with more tire ?'s)