Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Why not chrome?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheevdawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Why not chrome?

Ok, im definatly not trying to start anything in here, but i just noticed that *most* people on these forums don't like chrome rims on a civic. Now thats definatly fine with me, everyone has their opinions. But i was just interested in why. Just a curious question. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

Scott2055 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the reason that most don't like chrome is that the civic is an economy car and chrome rims are normally associated with luxury cars or SUV's. I, however don't hate chrome as long as it's done the right way. You're ride for example, looks pretty good with the chrome wheels.
Old 08-05-2003
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
I think it depends on the color of the car. Theres a guy no here with a blue civic and chrome rims and it looks AWESOME, i think his name is like JMoney LOL.

I think the blue civic can pull off chrome the best, and maybe the red, but the red isnt deep enough for it i dont think.
Old 08-05-2003
YoUnG N SuXsExFul

guamcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
it depends on the style of rims too..
Old 08-05-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Chrome is Heavy!!!!
Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

Amplify is an unknown quantity at this point
I've just always believe chrome belongs on more luxury cars.
Old 08-05-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I think Polised aluminum looks better any way, it has a Glow to it where chrome is just like a mirror.
Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Scott2055
I think the reason that most don't like chrome is that the civic is an economy car and chrome rims are normally associated with luxury cars or SUV's. I, however don't hate chrome as long as it's done the right way. You're ride for example, looks pretty good with the chrome wheels.
Hey, well thanks!!
Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

OK, i can understand if you are more into spead, then you definatly wouldnt want chrome, it is crazy heavy, i have to carry mine up three flights for storage during the winter, it sucks!!!!
Old 08-05-2003
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
My friend has a red 300zx and he just put chrome 18's on it. His motto is "bling ya *** in chrome and then pass ya with my 200 shot of nx express!!!!"

haha, it looks damn good though.
Old 08-05-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I don't like it because its heavy, its a pain to take care of and it just looks gawdy. The mirror thing just turns me off. I really don't think it wheels need to be so darn noticable. If I had to choose a bright shiny finish... I'd go for either diamond cut (Like Volk GT-P) or a machined finish (like the 00 Si wheels). But I don't really like shiny. I've got one set of dull grey, and another anthracite.
Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
I dont like it because I think it doesnt look right for the car we have. If your going for a "import racer" look, and you have chromies, it just doesnt look right. But, thats just my opinion. If your driving a navi, escalade, yukon, beamer, or benz, one of those nice luxury cars, I'd probably put some 22" chromies on them or something. I just dont think it looks right on our cars, since its not exactly a luxury car.
Old 08-05-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
chrome rims are heavy. most chrome rims look like crap on civics except this on

Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

mogwai will become famous soon enough
I'm not much for chrome rims on anything. For practical purposes, chrome rims are heavy and hard to maintain. But mainly, I think chrome rims are ghetto. Of course this is subjective, if you like chrome, by all means, knock yourself out -- for me, I'd prefer all silver rims or silver rims with machined lips.
Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

CivicGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
I also think that chrome rims are not pratical. Too heavy plus I can't justify paying more.
Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

killakoala is an unknown quantity at this point
chromes just a little too flashy for my liking. Ive seen it look good on sport compacts before, but its rare.
Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

666 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think everyone has the wrong outlook on chrome wheels being heavy, a friend of mine had a set of 17X7 wheels with 205/40-17 tires and they weighed in at 48 lbs per wheel with tire. On my 7th gen I had a set of 18X7's (Chrome) with 215/35-18 tires, each wheel weighed 47 lbs. The 17 inch wheel even looked like it would weigh less than my huge *** spokes but it did'nt. Remember the chrome should'nt weigh any more than the paint or clearcoat on your wheel, its very thin. Any way here is my black Civ on my old 18X7 Niche Spitfire's.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hpim0057.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	6530  
Old 08-05-2003
Autocross Junky

47lbs wheel + Tire? damn thats heavy.

My wheel/tire combo runs about 32lbs Street (205/40R17) 17X7" wheel.

My race set up is more like 27lbs (205/50R15) 15X6.5
Old 08-05-2003
Registered!!

lowriding619 is an unknown quantity at this point
just my $0.02 but i think if so one wants to shine a little with some chrome then got for it but i like light rims- going to sell tenzos soon for some spoon wheels only 8 something lbs. per wheel not incl. tire
Old 08-06-2003
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Zzyzx
47lbs wheel + Tire? damn thats heavy.
That is so ****ing heavy. 18s on a Civic also means it's not meant to go faster in any case.

Look at a Civic. It's a cheap car.

Look at chrome, it's a relatively expensive material founded on cars that look more expensive/luxurious so it works. All you'd do is make the wheels look more expensive than the car if you put it on a Civic.

It's not my cup of coffee. Hell, it's not even my goddamn cup.
Old 08-06-2003
Registered!!

jason_wu is an unknown quantity at this point
5 reasons not to put chrome rims on a civic. (i should know, i had 17" chrome rims on my civic for 6 months and sold them promptly, even though i took a $600 loss i was content i had got rid of them)

1 - they slow your acceleration times down dramatically(chrome is the heaviest of all finishes)

2 - they cause you to burn more gas and put more stress on your brakes(wearing them out quicker) this is even more so with larger rims (eg. 18" or 19").

3 - the chrome finish is very sensitive to rock chips and the elements and will not last as long as painted rims(all chrome rims will eventually peel and have been known to peel in less than a year with some of the cheaper brands eg. american eagle, unlimited etc.)

4 - the chrome finish makes the entire rim more brittle and prone to cracking. hitting a big pothole could result in a cracked rim(which in most cases is not repairable).

5 - they just don't look right on a civic. chrome rims belong on american luxury cars and the civic is on the opposite end of that spectrum(i thought they would look good but after i put them on my car i had second thoughts)
Old 08-06-2003
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
" they just don't look right on a civic. chrome rims belong on american luxury cars and the civic is on the opposite end of that spectrum(i thought they would look good but after i put them on my car i had second thoughts)"

agreed
Old 08-07-2003
All Eyes On Z

I disagree with "American" luxory cars.

Lexus, Infinity, Mercedes (of course them) and BMW can pull off a sweet look with chrome rims. Acura can, too. (RSX/Integra doesn't qualify.)

I've seen OLD vans LITERALLY pull of chrome rims better than Civics EVER could.

The only Honda I think that can sometimes pull off big chrome rims with a drop (big plus for tints) is the 6th Gen Accord coupe. I've seen some sweet Accords (especially black ones) with nice chrome rims but design is everything to pull it off.
Old 08-07-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
2 words.. bling bling... if u can afford chrome.. u shouldnt be driving a civic...
Old 08-07-2003
E36 M3 Driver.

jonnyg is an unknown quantity at this point
chrome is nice. i have chromies. my chromies are ugly. my chomies came with the car. my chromies are better than stock... i think.

y buy sum racer wheels if are cars arent fast to begin with? oh well.

my chromies are 17in with a 40 sidewall and i have driven over and thru many many pot holes and my chromies are not bent. i used to drive pretty crazy and do sum crazy things and my chromies arent cracked. i have raced a few neons, civics, ..etc. and i didnt lose , my chromies arent holdin' me down. i have driven over 10,000 miles with my chromies and who knows how many with the previous owner and my chromies are holdin up.

soo if u like chrome go with it.

Originally posted by WannaBFast
2 words.. bling bling... if u can afford chrome.. u shouldnt be driving a civic...
i can afford chrome and i will be driving my civic. look out for my 18in RH Evolution CHROME c5s comming soon to a 7thgen near you.
Old 08-07-2003
Autocross Junky

Why do people keep saying our cars are slow?

Mine's plenty fast for my class (STS) Currently 2nd in points for the year.....
Old 08-07-2003
E36 M3 Driver.

jonnyg is an unknown quantity at this point
[B]Why do people keep saying our cars are slow?
okokok lemme rephrase , slow in straight lines with out FI or swap. , better?
Old 08-07-2003
spoiledsteph

i got me some chrome rims also....it all depends on what you want. i HATE the gunmetal/hyperblack/steelie look, so i wanted something different. i think if its done right (i.e. right rim) then it will look good. i have hit countless potholes, and bumps and cracks and everything that cal trans has thrown onto the streets, or has failed to clean/fix. my rims are FINE!! never cracked, never bent, the chrome is still shiny as ever. (well underneath all the dirt and ish).

my only complaint is that its a constant battle to keep clean. and im lazy....thats all. but i like em...i personally think it looks way better than gunmetal rims. jmo, don't hate on me....
Old 08-07-2003
All Eyes On Z

Why do people keep saying our cars are slow?
Everyone (almost) likes to base a car's worth on straightline speed - but the people into imports talk **** about domestics as the majority of them could pound on imports.

But I guess it can't be helped. Everyone has their view on the "real way" power from a car should be used as the majority thinks it comes without really needing a steering wheel. Everyone and their momma wants to base it on drag racing so everyone and their mommas agree the Civic is slow.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 08-07-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
My wheel/tire combo runs about 32lbs Street (205/40R17) 17X7" wheel.
Dude... where did you find a 10 lb 17" tire?
I thought I remember saying your 17's were over 20 lbs.. what gives?

My wheels are 15 lbs, and about 37 with the tires on... I thought that was pretty damn light.
I would believe the Rota/Falken combo at 32 though... is it a typo?

Quick Reply: Why not chrome?