Air Conditioning Post issues with air conditioning here

No heat and I'm stumped

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wwhitby is an unknown quantity at this point
No heat and I'm stumped

OK, my 2004 Civic LX has me beat. I haven't been getting any heat, and I'm at a loss to explain why.

To start with, about two months ago, the motor that moves the cable that opens and closes the heater control valve went bad. Of course it went bad when it was stuck on hot, so I did have heat then when it was 90-something degrees outside. As part of diagnosing what was wrong, I changed out the heater control switch module in the dash and the heater control valve itself. I disconnected the cable from the heater control valve and move it back and forth manually so that I could have air conditioning. I haven't replaced the heater control motor and I don't know if its related to my problem or not. I also bled the cooling system after I changed out the valve.

With the heater valve wide open (on heat), I get no warm or hot air in the cabin at all, even when the car is warmed up. As part of my troubleshooting, this is what I've done:
  • I've verified that the thermostat is opening (both radiator hoses are hot)
  • The fuses related to the climate control system are fine
  • I verified that the heater control valve is open (although the cable is disconnected.)
  • I flushed out the heater core. The water came out unobstructed in both directions.
  • I verified that both heater hoses were hot near where they attach to the heater core at the firewall.
  • The blower motor varies in speed depending on the switch.
  • The area behind the glove box is not hot.
  • I've bled the cooling system twice to make sure there's no trapped air.
  • The A/C switch works, turning the A/C on and off
  • The head gasket was changed @40K miles ago. I verified that the head gasket is not leaking.
  • The vent/defrost switch works fine, changing the direction of the air from vent, to floor, to defrost.
Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can check?

Thanks,

Whit
Old 11-21-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,311 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: No heat and I'm stumped

Blend door stuck on cold?
The following users liked this post:
2004LX (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004LX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Blend door stuck on cold?
Do you know how to get to that blend door actuator? I can see it up above the gas pedal, but what do I need to do to get at it to replace it?? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2023
Super Moderator

Received 1,865 Likes on 1,311 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

It's in the service manual that you can download for free from this site.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (08-21-2023)