Exterior Post your issues with Exterior parts here! Exterior covers Body, Doors, Locks, Physical Removal/install lights, Hoods, fenders, etc. For Fundamentally Electrical issues, post on Electrical

2015 Civic Driver's Window

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BobBarry51 is an unknown quantity at this point
2015 Civic Driver's Window

I have a 2015 Honda Civic and an issue with the driver's side front electric window. Every once in a while when raising the window rear portion lifts up and the front stays in place. Sitting in the driver's seat and looking at the window, it is rotating clockwise as it goes up. The upper left portion (in driver's seat) ends up pointing straight up near the middle of the window frame. Just in regular use it appears to have a sticking point near the top even when aligned correctly.
My first thought is that it is sticking in the forward track. I have taken the door covering off but of course I can only see so much because of the metal frame. I do not exactly know how the window design works. Is the base of the window clamped to a lifter? Is the base of the window have a hole through which a bolt goes? I have had difficulty finding a good diagram of the mechanism.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. If you know where there is a good diagram, that would be helpful.
Old 09-03-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2015 Civic Driver's Window

Warranty? Dealership!

Not warranty?
Make sure the rubber seal (glass run channel seal) in the vertical tracks has not come out of place, hasn't been folded or distorted in any way. If it has any damage then it needs replaced.

If it appears to be ok, I'd grab a can of silicone spray lubricant and shoot it all along the vertical parts of the glass run channel seal where the glass makes contact, that should reduce the drag so the window slides smoothly in the seal.

When using the one touch feature, the window will usually automatically reverse when it hits a spot with excessive drag.
Old 09-03-2017
Registered!!

My thought would be, how can the window tilt forward like that. I would really like to understand the logic of how it works and properly diagnose the problem before I disassemble the door again.
Old 09-03-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My thought would be, how can the window tilt forward like that.
Put the glass down a little and grab with both hands. You can rock it a little bit by hand. There is always a little slop in the mechanisms, and the front of the glass is narrow so there is room to tilt.
Compare that to the "good" side.

Any unusual and unequal drag in the rubber seals can cause the glass to rock.
Usually caused by dirt. You could pull out the run channel seal and wash it thoroughly, or replace it...and install it....but lubing it with silicone is much quicker.

If you already checked out the channel seal condition.......I'd just spray silicone at the top of the tracks (use the little red straw in the nozzle)....spray enough of it to have liquid run all the way down the rubber in the tracks. Run the glass up and down several times to make sure it's distributed and slides smoother.

how it works and properly diagnose the problem before I disassemble the door again.
You didn't watch how it works when you had the panel off the first time?

You didn't say what body your car is. Couple and sedan use different style regulators.
Look up your specific car in one of the many online Honda parts catalogs to see a diagram
http://estore.honda.com/

If it's under warranty, send it to the dealership.
Old 09-03-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

bobBarry51 being a 2015 is there any warranty Left that covers the power windows..? that almost
sounds like the early signs of a power window motor is needed "hey just saying" done one on the
wifes Nissan before and sounds familiar But being its 2015 sounds very early for one though.?
I would try what ezone mentioned.
Old 09-03-2017
Registered!!

Of course when I had it all disassembled it worked fine. It really only happens about once every fifty or so times when I raise the window. 4 door civic sedan. I will have to look at the diagrams and see how the window is held. May as well lubricate while I am there. Does the lifter allow the window to rotate if it is securely attached to the lifter? Ok, little project for the holiday.
Old 09-03-2017

4 door civic sedan
Front doors use a scissor type regulator, rear doors use a cable type.
how the window is held
The glass attaches to the top bar (see picture below) in two places.

Does the lifter allow the window to rotate if it is securely attached to the lifter?
The X structure and the position of the short track control the tilt of glass, or at least attempt to raise and lower the glass straight up and down).

Of course there will be a just little play in the mechanisms (acceptable), and if there is great force exerted against the stamped regulator structure it can fold a leg up like a cheap lawn chair (permanent damage)

Generic google pic for scissor regulator

It really only happens about once every fifty or so times when I raise the window.
Oh heck that's dang near insignificant IMO.
Spray it down with the lube and move on to more important things.