Electronics Post information/questions/Issues about Electronic parts here.

Speed sensor & Imobilizer issues in 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MargRose is an unknown quantity at this point
Speed sensor & Imobilizer issues in 2010

Hello,
i have a 2010 Civic DX-G 4 DR Sedan 4cyl Gasoline 1.8 VTEC, 5 Speed Automatic. I purchased used in 2014 from dealer.

The immobilizer has been setting off for at least a couple of years now. At first I suspected the weather/humidity but not so sure now. I’ve changed the batteries in both key fobs and remote starter at least once a year now, but that doesn’t seem to affect the immobilizer. I have the buttonless valet key as well. None will work when imobilized.
The length of time it locks me out has increased to 1/2 hour. The remote starter used to work when immobilized, but no longer does and makes a beeping series (2long 2short, twice) when remote start attempted. This is now happening two or more times a week.
Dealership said the steering comumn may not be lining up, and to crank the wheel to the right when locked to try and adjust. No matter how much I beat up he steering column, it will not start until the 1/2 hour time penalty period is up. Disconnecting the car battery no help. They can change it out if I want but They wouldn’t say it’s the problem because there is no code when I’m there (I live 280kms from nearest dealer).

Newer problem, may or may not be related,but with the increase in immobilizer and me not being mechanical, I’m not ruling it out.
It came up as a speed sensor code. Flashing D, no power, not shifting gears, top speed reduced to 48km/hr. This issue started in with shifting stutters and developed into failing to shift/high rpms. The car seemed to only like hard acceleration, like hammer down until desired speed reached. Had the speed sensor changed out with a new one. This was great for about a week, then the gear shifts started stuttering again. Every shift is feeling rough. It seems to help if I let off the gas, fully, then press again and the car seems to be able to shift. This is an automatic car and it feels like i’m shifting gears using only the gas pedal...is it gas line/pedal related? (Thinking of immobilizer too)
I feel like we just fixed a symptom of a different problem.

Any ideas, Suggestions, recommendations, ANYthing?
Old 03-31-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Speed sensor & Imobilizer issues in 2010

The immobilizer has been setting off for at least a couple of years now.
Edit: I can't read.
Remove the steering column covers and disconnect the wiring plug from the immobilizer unit, then reconnect it.
If that doesn't help, at least it's free

The pressure switches on the trans are pretty common too, but you have to know which switch the code is for, know where the darn thing is on the transmission, and make sure no rodent gnawed the wire(s) apart before tossing a pressure switch at the car.
Old 03-31-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MargRose is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Speed sensor & Imobilizer issues in 2010

Those are great suggestions that I will try.
Thanks for responding.

Originally Posted by ezone
Edit: I can't read.
Remove the steering column covers and disconnect the wiring plug from the immobilizer unit, then reconnect it.
If that doesn't help, at least it's free

The pressure switches on the trans are pretty common too, but you have to know which switch the code is for, know where the darn thing is on the transmission, and make sure no rodent gnawed the wire(s) apart before tossing a pressure switch at the car.