Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

really loud leaking sound...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magus is an unknown quantity at this point
Question really loud leaking sound...

Over the past few weeks I've been noticing a really loud leaking sound coming from my passenger side. This happens when it rains or when I go for a car wash (like i did today).

It doesn't seem to be normal leaking, like when water just falls off the body of the car. It's really loud dripping!

This is only on the passenger side, my driver side is very silent. The car is only about 6 months old now.

Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2003
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm assuming that water isn't inside your car and thats its dry inside, so it could be 2 things. The first being that you only hear when it rains or washing your car is most likely the drain might be partly clogged up with leaves and other things, so water is standing inside your fender and slowly dripping out. Lift the hood and right behind the hood hinge under the hood theres a open dark area under the wiper rail that looks like you could put your hand into. Stick a garden hose down there with a spray nozzle and blow the drain are clear. You can do this on both sides, you'll see water run out the bottom where the door seam meets the front fender. I had to do this 4 times in the last 2 months because I was forced to park under a tree, you should have seen all the crap that came out of there. Now I clear it out everytime I wash my car just to be on the safe side. If you let the area get clogged it will harbor water and might start a rusting problem from the inside out.

Last edited by solar; 04-15-2003 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2003
Registered!!

Atlantis is an unknown quantity at this point
I am going to take a wild guess and say you have the factory moonroof. If you don't I'm sorry and there is something that MAY need to be looked at closer. If you do however I assure you that everything is perfectly normal. The water is coming in past the closed moonroof and goes into a drain channel. From there the water runs to a drain line that goes right down the passenger side pillar and out of the car. There are also 3 more so you might hear those too. Hope that helps and you don't need to worry at all
Old 04-15-2003
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
I didn't think about the moonroof drain channel, so thats a good point, but I've never never heard water trickling or dripping after it rained or when I washed my car. That makes me believe that there's a restriction somewhere, because the water should run out quickly.
Old 04-15-2003
Registered!!

Magus is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the information, I'm going to try the drain thing tomorrow morning. I don't have a moonroof in my car. wish i did...hahahah but i don't.