Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Does Lowering = Faster brake pad wear??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Does Lowering = Faster brake pad wear??

Sorry, this is probably a stupid question, but does lowering your car have anything to do with your brake pads wearing out faster? The Honda Dealership down here told me that my brakes are worn out already, and tomorrow I need to take it there to see why the brakes wore out so fast. So far I have 12,500 on it. Thanks for any help!
Old 04-10-2003
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Nope.. shouldnt have anything to do with it. All lowering does is give you a lower CoG(center of gravity) and different handling characteristics. Has nothing to do with brake wear.
Old 04-10-2003

K20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the roughK20me is a jewel in the rough
THANK YOU!!!!
Old 04-10-2003
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
but then when you have a lowered car, you tend to drive faster in turns....and thus brake harder.

heh
Old 04-11-2003
Registered!!

HappyGilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
Not to mention that our stock Brakes and Rotors sucks big time.
Old 04-11-2003
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
*drums* on the rear .. haha soooooooooooooooooooo sad.
Old 04-12-2003

*UPDATE*

Thanks for the input guys. I went to Metro Honda today over in Montclair, and they checked my brakes out. I only had 20% of the original brake pads left . Luckily the lady helping us out had them change my brakes and resurface my rotors with no charge at all . I'm pretty happy about that! But I guess I have to change my driving habits. They told me I should downshift more often when stopping so I don't rape my new set of brake pads haha! So not all dealers aren't full of **** like I used to think!

OH! and while they were doing my brakes, I got a chance to check out the new TSX! Sweet car, but too much for me for now. And, my dad test drove the 2004 Maxima! That car has a lot of power! Not too big of a fan of the front grill though, hopefully my dad will buy it soon, we'll see. Alright then peace guys!
Old 04-12-2003
Initial D!!!!

nightkids1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: *UPDATE*

Originally posted by SLeePeRCIVICHopeful
Thanks for the input guys. I went to Metro Honda today over in Montclair, and they checked my brakes out. I only had 20% of the original brake pads left . Luckily the lady helping us out had them change my brakes and resurface my rotors with no charge at all . I'm pretty happy about that! But I guess I have to change my driving habits. They told me I should downshift more often when stopping so I don't rape my new set of brake pads haha! So not all dealers aren't full of **** like I used to think!

OH! and while they were doing my brakes, I got a chance to check out the new TSX! Sweet car, but too much for me for now. And, my dad test drove the 2004 Maxima! That car has a lot of power! Not too big of a fan of the front grill though, hopefully my dad will buy it soon, we'll see. Alright then peace guys!
yeah dont downshift to stop your car, just use your brakes, new brakes cost like $120(if you dont go to the honda dealer) and a new clutch cost $300 + labor. the honda dealer is telling you to downshift because they want to make money off you when your clutch goes out.
Old 04-12-2003
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
IF you are going to drive your Civic with some aggressiveness, then save up and buy some upgraded brakes! Remember the old addage, make it stop before you make it fast!

We now have kits for larger rotors and pads up front, including some nice vented rotors. Also ssbrakes has a kit for rear disks.

These will stop that premature wear. Our brakes are too small and heat up too quickly, that is why you wear them out with some more aggressive driving. And I agree, lowering you car only made you drive a bit harder, the lower center of gravity did nothing to change your pads wear.