Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

02 Coupe Acceleration Hiss/Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tom0826 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Coupe Acceleration Hiss/Rattle

2002 Civic EX Coupe..completely stock except XM radio and tint.

Hey guys, I've been searching thru the posts, trying to find out why my car makes this strange rattling or sorta hissing noise when I accelerate. It's more noticeable in the mornings when it colder, but I can still hear it all the time when I accelerate. Actually...I think it makes this noise all the time, but especially when I accelerate.

I took my civic to the dealer, and the guy said he couldn't hear anything abnormal. He made me think I was too sensitive to noise, and that it wasn't anything abnormal. Bull-crap.

Everyone I ask about the noise hears it when they ride in the car and I point it out. It's like something's loose..but high pitched enough to make it sound sorta like a hissing noise. I can hear it really good going thru a residential street or an alley just at constant speed. Not accelerating.

I've seen similar post about this, but has seen no real answers to this problem. I've checked my air cleaner assembly, airbox (sorta sounded like an intake leak sometimes...but seem more of a rattle), heat shields on the the exh manifold, catalytic converter. And no, it's not an electrical whine in the radio. It's definitely coming from under the hood.

Could this be a auto tranny problem since I hear it mostly under accleration? It otherwise runs like new with 10K miles.

Please..no speculative answers.I'd like to hear from people who've had this same problem. I know it's not all civics, but I know this problem is common from reading the posts. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
My 2002 auto sedan has rattling when I accelerate. I would just keep driving it until something breaks--that's what warranty is for. With the weather warming up, I don't notice it as much.