Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'02 EX Firestones = bad handling in rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free7civicex is an unknown quantity at this point
'02 EX Firestones = bad handling in rain

I'm just curious to know if the Firestone tires that come standard on the '02 EX's are lousy for wet weather driving. I live in Southern Cali and today during the afternoon it started raining hard. I had to drive several miles in this rain on the freeway and I noticed that my car felt like it was going to lose control when going over parts of the freeway where very small amounts of water had built up. I was going well below the speed limit, yet it still felt unstable. I guess its just a combination of the car's size and the design of these Firestones. Does this happen to other EX drivers with the stock 15" Firestone tires?

Oh yeah, if you live in South Cali (southern Riverside County/San Diego County) drive safely if you go out on the wet roads/freeway. While I was on the freeway this evening a guy in a 3rd gen Accord passed me and then spun out about 60-70 yards ahead of me. I slowed down while I watched his car spin sideways then overcorrect and spin in circles several times. I was two lanes over and he ended up facing the wrong way in my lane. I had to quickly change lanes to avoid hitting him head on. A tractor trailer behind me had to swerve too to avoid hitting this stopped car facing the wrong way right in the middle of the I-15 freeway. Miraculously, no one hit him and he turned around and proceeded on the freeway like nothing had happened. Please just use common sense and don't be aggressive. Its not worth risking your life or the life of others on the road.
Old 12-17-2002
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
I have exact same car. and drove in so cali today.. same experience.. almost hydroplaned @ low speeds
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in Florida and it rains like mad in the summer, I've had no problems with my Firestones in the rain, and I drive I-75 between Tampa and Miami a lot. No tire is going to perform very well with more than a inch of rain on the road, (I agree that some are better than others in the rain). I have never liked the idea of Firestones on my car, and what really bugs me about those tires is the road noise.
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Yup same experience here with the crappy, loud road noise Firestones. It scared the crap outa me the first time I hit some standing water doing a little over the speed limit. These tires dont channel water out very well.
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

thirdhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Except for the stereo, the only other "mod" to my car was replacing the Firestones with Michelins after 9 months or so. This improved just about every aspect of driving, and I would highly recommend that anyone consider getting rid of the Firestones no matter what kind of driver you are.
Old 12-17-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
dude... everybody knows that our stock Firestone tires are POS

Save some $$ and upgrade!
They may well save your life some day.
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

astr033 is an unknown quantity at this point
I replaced my Firestones because of the wet traction problem. I didn't replace them with anything too exciting (Yokohama Avid Touring) but the new tires that I do have perform much much better in wet conditions. I still can't figure out why Honda puts such lousy tires on an otherwise very safe car. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-17-2002
Honda > Nissan

xian is on a distinguished road
You think they suck in the rain...you should try them on ice and snow. Holy crap!!! They suck.
I'm just going to run with these till they wear out though...
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

Niter1dah is an unknown quantity at this point
Jeebus What was honda thinking when they went with thoes tires. They were crap! I kept sliding around everywhere with thoes and it rains alot up here in Washington. I picked up a pair of Toyo FZ4's for my 17's and they are waaaay better Handles far better in the rain and does not slip even remotely as much as the stock tires.
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Those Firestones a real hazard in wet weather, and an absolute death-trap in snow and ice (I used to live in Canada). I replaced them with Michelins and there was a huge difference in ride and handling.

And ya, the weather was kinda bad yesterday on the way home from work here in San Diego... well, bad for Southern Cal I should say [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-18-2002
Registered!!

AznHalfy is an unknown quantity at this point
Seriously, I live in Ottawa Canada ... winter here now and its a bitch ... they got no grip on "black ice" even the slightest bit at an intersection and the car doesn't want to stop even with abs ... like no grip ... while I roll through the intersection (and I drive modestly, not like a maniac). Also, when you got a couple of inches of snow on the ground ... and starting up (althought I got a standard) the tires spin out ... pretty scary ...
I have to use a more defensive driving style now cause you seriously cant judge how the tire is gonna react on ice and snow. I had a '99 accord, maybe due to it being heavier, but I never experienced these problems with ice and snow.

l8tr
Old 12-18-2002
Registered!!

scogs2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah stock tires suck I bought yokahoma h4's and I like them. I hope they last longer than the originals (26K)
Old 12-18-2002
Registered!!

scogs2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok so I spelled yokohama wrong
Old 01-10-2003
Registered!!

Cyko is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in Florida and the stock tires suck ***.......... Tires spin even
when I accelerate slowly and I have to go like 10 around turns
not to spin out
Edit: in rain that is [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-13-2003
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep I agree I have aftermarket rims and they did suck with OEM rims and firestones in rain storms.

Nick
Old 01-17-2003
Premium Member

bluelight is an unknown quantity at this point
my worst experience with our stockies was when it was raining and i took a left turn @ 10-15 mph accelerating from a stoplight. I ended up hydroplaning/drifting the turn (my first time "drifting"). scared the **** outta me cause i did it right in front of a cop car...luckily the cop wasn't in the car.
Old 01-20-2003
Registered!!

mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys are crazy to complain about the firestones in the wet.

Sure they are not ideal, but I've driven A LOT worse, try almost any set of General Tires (owned by uniroyal I believe) or Goodyear RSA's if you want to hydroplane...BFG's Comp T/A's Radial T/A's Touring T/A's are about tied with the firestones in my experience, and I had a set of Dunlop's once that were mediocre.

I actually find the firestones to be reasonable in the wet (I use snows in the winter - Kumho I'Zens) and comfortable cruzing down the highway at 70-75 in the pouring rain.

The best tires I have found to date are pirrellis. I have 2 sets of Kumhos, I like the snow tires, and the ECSTA Supra 712's are ok, but the bands seterated on my set... I think the kumho's do pretty good in the rain for the type of tire they are...

-m
Old 01-20-2003
Registered!!

VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a set of brand new RS-A's on my old Grand Am GT, and you're right about the hydroplaning. However, on dry pavement and in the snow, the RS-A's rock these stupid Firestones. If I had the money to replace mine right now, I would. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-20-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
thank god . i got rid of pos firestone tires.
i have goodyear now
Old 02-22-2004
Registered!!

lazyaznguy is an unknown quantity at this point
yea i found out the hard way what a piece of **** the firestones are...
i live in southern cali, and i was driving today morning on the 210, it was raining pretty hard, i was going about 75 when i started hydroplaning. i lost control, crashed into the center divider, blocking the carpool lane, and another car hit me from the side. surprising i'm fine, but my car is totally ****ed up. i have full coverage but its still going to be a bitch waiting for a few weeks to get my car back.

first thing to do when i get my car back: new tires
Old 02-23-2004
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
The FIRST thing I did with my 02 civic was to change the tires to 16" Michelins. They aren't the best, but WAYYYYYY better than the stock firestones.
Old 02-23-2004
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
pos firestones ... they are shitty overall ... treadwear 400 my ***! I have goodyear right now and they are awesome
Old 02-23-2004
Registered!!

VTECTypeR is an unknown quantity at this point
hahaha thats for sure the threadwear is no where close to 400. And i also hydroplanned out of control on the freeway 2 days ago
Old 02-24-2004
Registered!!

dma001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that the Firestones are horrible. I couldn't figure out why the ride was so crappy -- then I checked out tirerack.com and, lo and behold, our Firestones were dead last in the customer surveys.

Like astr033, I replaced mine with a set of Yokohama Avid Touring, am I'm very happy with them.
Old 02-24-2004

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
mattskav - have you DRIVEN a civic in bad weather with the stock Firestone tires?

Those tires are the worst I have ever experienced. I have an 01 Coupe and replaced them with Michelin MV4+ in January and it handles MUCH better.

My stocks were Firestone FR690's
Old 02-24-2004
Registered!!

partyboi is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree..
firestones=crap
Old 02-25-2004
TMQ
Registered!!

TMQ is an unknown quantity at this point
The tires are OK. A lot depends on how you drive though. My car has about 30K and lthe tires ook like there's 10K left to go. I haven't had any serious problems, except for 2 flots that were quickly repaired.

Make sure you rotate the tires every 5K.

If you drive 75mph in pouring rain, then you are risking it. I know people in CA drive fast, but they are not used to the rain.
Old 02-25-2004

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
Where do you live TMQ? In rain they are "passable" in snow - NO WAY.
Old 02-25-2004
Registered!!

HappyGilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by TMQ
The tires are OK. A lot depends on how you drive though. My car has about 30K and lthe tires ook like there's 10K left to go. I haven't had any serious problems, except for 2 flots that were quickly repaired.

Make sure you rotate the tires every 5K.

If you drive 75mph in pouring rain, then you are risking it. I know people in CA drive fast, but they are not used to the rain.
I too have about 31,500 miles. My tires have about 10-15K left. No problems except 1 flat on the rear cause it looked like an intended punture 1/2" below the rim. Other than that, I drove in heavy rain going at 35mph just because the visibility was so bad that I couldn't see pass the hood of the car. And snow...I tried not to drive during snow days.
Old 02-26-2004
Registered!!

dustin_samuel is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by lazyaznguy
yea i found out the hard way what a piece of **** the firestones are...
i live in southern cali, and i was driving today morning on the 210, it was raining pretty hard, i was going about 75 when i started hydroplaning. i lost control, crashed into the center divider, blocking the carpool lane, and another car hit me from the side. surprising i'm fine, but my car is totally ****ed up. i have full coverage but its still going to be a bitch waiting for a few weeks to get my car back.

first thing to do when i get my car back: new tires
Holy crap man! I live in San Diego, so I know what you're talkin about. That sucks to hear about your accident. Glad you're ok.

P.S. I drive an 02 EX and these tires do suck. Just accelerating from a stop sign I can't help but spin. I gotta get me some new tires.

Quick Reply: '02 EX Firestones = bad handling in rain