Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Engine Check Light/PCM?/ Honda Jackasses

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Engine Check Light/PCM?/ Honda Jackasses

Okay I have been literally ripping my hair over this mess that I have been involved in the past couple of days.

I got an amp and subwoofer installed at Best Buy. The installer re-wired my harness even though I had no problems with it for about 6 months, my stuff was hooked up and I drove away, no problems.

The next day my check engine light comes on and i was like, WTF? I figured it was because I didn't tighten my gas cap all the way and didn't sweat it. I tightened it and kept on driving, no biggie.

Two days later the check engine light is still on so I decide to bring it in the dealer today for them to look at it, the guy said that the was a problem with the electrical system because the code they pulled up was leading to the PCM (whatever the f*** that is), they blamed it on my "aftermarket radio" and said that it was gonna be $700 to repair the car, I basically looked at the dude like he was full of **** and told him to give me my car back.

I went back to Best Buy and told them what was going on, they told me they would check it out tommorow, and I thought it was okay because there was nothing that I can see that was wrong with my car electrically or mechanically.

My questions are, Why would my Head Unit cause a problem with the PCM (Powertrain Control Module), what could be the cause of this?
Is the dealer just bullsh**tin me? I don't know what's going on and I need some advice.....I'm stressing out[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]

thanks
Old 11-08-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
why did the installer re wire the harness? i dont see how it effected anything either, just swap back headunits and take it to a different dealer. hopefully you bought a wiring harness and best buys didnt cut your OEM one.
Old 11-08-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Surge in electrical system can damage PCM
TSB 00-098
Old 11-09-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Why on god's green earth would you trust your car with Best Buy? Take it to a custom shop to get stuff like that done.

Any good shop would not have to rewire the harness. They make a special one that plugs right into the old one to hook up a new head unit.

Make them pay for that sh*t