Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ford Focus, being Recalled for Front suspension malfunction and Z-tech engine catching fire.....SO

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IncaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Ford Focus, being Recalled for Front suspension malfunction and Z-tech engine catching fire.....SO

eveybody on here complains about rattles and the seat moves and little stuff.
But
Aren't you glad you didn't by a Ford Focus....

Way more problems than we have.
Think before you complain

Thanks
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, at least they issue recalls and fix EVERYONE's car. Honda, however, likes to issue secret TSBs that can't be shown to the public. Sure Honda will fix your car if it catches fire, but only if you still covered by their puny 36K mile warranty. After that you're screwed. I bet all the auto drivers here would love a recall when their trannys die at 40K miles. I think it was BlueLightning that just had that happen to him.
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

Make: HONDA
Model: CIVIC
Year: 2001
ODI ID: 752620

Summary:
CAR JUMPS OUT OF 2ND GEAR FOR NO REASON AT ALL. I CAN BE JUST DRIVING ALONG, AND ALL OF THE SUDDEN I'M IN NEUTRAL WITH CARS BEARING DOWN ON ME IN ALL DIRECTIONS. HONDA KNOWS OF THE PROBLEM, ACCORDING TO THE DEALER, BUT THE PART SUPPOSEDLY REQUIRED TO FIX IT IS ON NATIONAL BACK ORDER. IN THE MEAN TIME, I'M STUCK IN A CAR THAT IS LIABLE TO MAKE ME A SITTING DUCK WHILE I TRY TO GET IT BACK INTO GEAR. HONDA SHOWS NO INTEREST IN GETTING ME OUT OF THE CAR UNTIL IT CAN BE REPAIRED.*AK

So, it's a known problem to Honda and there are so many of the cars breaking their automatic transmission that it requires a national back order...why is there no recall?

edit: don't be confused on this one, he is talking about an auto

Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

impetigo is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: PESTLNC
Well, at least they issue recalls and fix EVERYONE's car. Honda, however, likes to issue secret TSBs that can't be shown to the public. Sure Honda will fix your car if it catches fire, but only if you still covered by their puny 36K mile warranty. After that you're screwed. I bet all the auto drivers here would love a recall when their trannys die at 40K miles. I think it was BlueLightning that just had that happen to him.[hr]
man i totally agree. i will NEVER again recommend a friend or relative to get a Honda. their legendary build quality and reliability is not very legendary at all, in fact it's probably no better than a chevy cavalier. things not being built or designed right in the first place, plastic parts snapping, engines not starting, etc. i'm sure honda quality will improve alot if they ever start building them in japan again.
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I am sure honda would issue a recall if they had about 500,000 people waiting to get burned to death. Say what you want, but some companies have much bigger problems with their cars than honda does.

Talk your trash and all the smack you want. Years of data and surveys don't lie. It's like trying to argue that humans don't have to breathe....
Old 11-05-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Just to get it straight... the Ford engine is called ZETEC. But yeah.... atleast they're saying something. Maybe someday, Honda will just recall the entire car. Everything but the engines seem to be messed up. So I guess we can be thankful that as whimpy as the engine is, IT DOES RUN!
Old 11-05-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Mbow
I am sure honda would issue a recall if they had about 500,000 people waiting to get burned to death. Say what you want, but some companies have much bigger problems with their cars than honda does.[hr]
I highly doubt anyone is going to burn to death due to this...uh oh my battery caught fire...let's sit in the car and wait for death.

[hr]Talk your trash and all the smack you want. Years of data and surveys don't lie. It's like trying to argue that humans don't have to breathe....[hr]
I'm not talking trash, I'm merely stating facts. Honda hates to issue recalls, probably for two reasons...money and reputation. Instead they issue TSBs to dealers and don't let the public view them, or they don't even issue a TSB and just ignore known problems.

Sure, I'm happy with the quality of my Honda. Of course it has it's problems, but most cars do. I just hope that if my windshield flys off at 36,001 miles it'll get fixed under warranty. BTW, my windshield has been rattling lately...time to go in for a repair.

Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know about you guys but my first civic had:

a passenger window that refused to work
a transmission that came out of second gear (when they DIDN'T know what was going on)
2 fuel system recalls
a nasty tendency to dump fuel all over the ground (post recall fix)
and a highly inaccurate fuel guage.

my second civic (after honda made the first one go away) has had no problems.

OH Honda just issued a recall on all of it's 03's with a V6 - They screwed up on all of the timing belts....
Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

Firefly is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Years of data and surveys don't lie. [hr]
Of course...and that tells you how Hondas are in the past.

Don't you think with the amount of info and complains here it shows Honda is slipping?

Just because it's good in the past doesn't mean it's good now. The data/survey helps to predict how good it MIGHT be...but unfortunately it didn't turn out too good this time.
Old 11-06-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
Make: HONDA
Model: CIVIC
Year: 2001
ODI ID: 752620

Summary:
CAR JUMPS OUT OF 2ND GEAR FOR NO REASON AT ALL. I CAN BE JUST DRIVING ALONG, AND ALL OF THE SUDDEN I'M IN NEUTRAL WITH CARS BEARING DOWN ON ME IN ALL DIRECTIONS. HONDA KNOWS OF THE PROBLEM, ACCORDING TO THE DEALER, BUT THE PART SUPPOSEDLY REQUIRED TO FIX IT IS ON NATIONAL BACK ORDER. IN THE MEAN TIME, I'M STUCK IN A CAR THAT IS LIABLE TO MAKE ME A SITTING DUCK WHILE I TRY TO GET IT BACK INTO GEAR. HONDA SHOWS NO INTEREST IN GETTING ME OUT OF THE CAR UNTIL IT CAN BE REPAIRED.*AK

So, it's a known problem to Honda and there are so many of the cars breaking their automatic transmission that it requires a national back order...why is there no recall?

edit: don't be confused on this one, he is talking about an auto[hr]
AK? I didn't write that... or someone from Arkansas?
Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

nihao4587 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]eveybody on here complains about rattles and the seat moves and little stuff.
But
Aren't you glad you didn't by a Ford Focus....

Way more problems than we have.
Think before you complain [hr]
Why not compare NA-built Civics with Japan-built ones? Why not compare 6 gen with 7 gen Civics? Please dont waste your time just beating on the dead foci horses. Even a kid knows that the focus is not reliable. Maybe comparing the quality of the new Civics with Proteges or Corollas is more appropriate in this case.

Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Firefly
[hr]Years of data and surveys don't lie. [hr]
Of course...and that tells you how Hondas are in the past.

Don't you think with the amount of info and complains here it shows Honda is slipping?

Just because it's good in the past doesn't mean it's good now. The data/survey helps to predict how good it MIGHT be...but unfortunately it didn't turn out too good this time.[hr]
That's a good point. I don't think I made myself clear in what I was trying to saying. Some members say honda is going down because of a few problems with the 7thgen civics. They generalize these shortcomings to honda as a whole and compare them to companies that should never be compared.

I had an accord that I bought brand-new in '00. It was top-of-the-line with the v6. I had absolutely no problems with that car for the 35k that I drove it. I have had several others and so have family members. If you have been driving hondas for several years and want to complain, so be it. If it's your first and unfortunately got a bad one, trade the car and be done with it. Go back and drive a domestic.

I don't understand why some of you people keep your cars. If I had the problems that you guys have, I'd be driving a different car....I don't care what went wrong with my vic, I would never buy a domestic vehicle.

If any of you think that domestic manufacturers compare to foreign manufacturers in any way, I'm sorry, but you are either very ignorant, have extreme brand loyalty, or just aren't very intelligent to begin with. We (americans) have been so far behind for so long that it is down right depressing if not embarrasing.

Oh, and if I do have some problems with my vic, I'm trading her in for a cr-v - one of the most (if not the most) reliable vehicals to every grace the earth.

Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

Firefly is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]I don't understand why some of you people keep your cars.[hr]
Maybe if I include my sig in the last post... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

But it's all [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG] now...I love my Pro and she's doing great. 15000 problem free km and counting.
Old 11-06-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Firefly
[hr]I don't understand why some of you people keep your cars.[hr]
Maybe if I include my sig in the last post... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

But it's all [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG] now...I love my Pro and she's doing great. 15000 problem free km and counting.[hr]
I respect you for that. You got rid of it and bought something else instead of whining and complaining to no end.

Protege looks nice. They have a certain pimpness about them that makes me like em. I considered the pro5 but just didn't like the interior.
Old 11-06-2002
Civic Owns My SRT

FuKNGRuVN is an unknown quantity at this point
I almost handed the keys back in to my Civic when I started to have probs with her and go for a Pro5.. but I hate the interior. If I'm gonna spend 99.9% of my time *in* the car, I want it to have a color choice other than black, black, black, black, black, black, black, with grey.

I luv my Civic because it meets my criteria for a car perfectly... but it's a shame the legendary |H| build quality doesn't extend into my beast.
Old 11-07-2002
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: impetigo
Well, at least they issue recalls and fix EVERYONE's car. Honda, however, likes to issue secret TSBs that can't be shown to the public. Sure Honda will fix your car if it catches fire, but only if you still covered by their puny 36K mile warranty. After that you're screwed. I bet all the auto drivers here would love a recall when their trannys die at 40K miles. I think it was BlueLightning that just had that happen to him.[hr]
man i totally agree. i will NEVER again recommend a friend or relative to get a Honda. their legendary build quality and reliability is not very legendary at all, in fact it's probably no better than a chevy cavalier. things not being built or designed right in the first place, plastic parts snapping, engines not starting, etc. i'm sure honda quality will improve alot if they ever start building them in japan again.[hr]
haha parents used to have a 87 cavalier...that car was nasty and abused by Pacific Press before parents bought it...

drive train never suffered any majory problems...engine and automatic tranny lasted a very long time for a cheap domestic car.....that car had similar problems as the civic....little interior noises that annoyed the crap out of u...haha i still hate cavaliers...so ugly....b
Old 11-09-2002
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
damn, i looked up the ford focus and the 2000 model has been recalled 15 times!!

the 2001 civic has been recalled 4 times....2002 models have never been recalled...

Old 11-09-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
if you want to compare 6th gens and 7th gens, compare the 1996 model with the 2001, not the 2000 with 2001. the 2000 6th gens were fine vehicles as honda worked out every single last bug that existed. honda's doing pretty well considering the new civic's only been out for 2 years, and the only problem i have with my 02 is the rear deck rattle.