Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

To all those with the moonroof/headliner rattle...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
To all those with the moonroof/headliner rattle...

Well, it finally drove me crazy enough for my dealer to take a look at. It was partially resolved by installation of the "anti-squeak" tape, but it didn't quite fix it all the way. Looking through old posts today, someone mentioned that they used rubber tubing wedged between the headliner and moonroof assembly to fix the problem, and sure enough, it worked wonderfully after I installed it. I tried just doing one piece on the driver's side at first, which helped, but didn't completely fix it. So, I cut two 3" pieces and put one on each side of the roof, and then a piece about a foot long, and installed that on the long side of the roof (facing the front of the car). I used rubber weather stripping I found at Lowes. It's gray in color and comes in a roll and has two pieces attached together. I just cut them in half, pulled off the adhesive backing, and it works perfectly. Total cost was about $4, and it was 10 minutes including travel time.
Old 10-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, I did this several weeks ago. I pulled the headerliner down right next to the sunroof on the driver's side. There was a white, square looking, type of velcro faster that holds the line up. I put the wheather stripping around the square and all down that long metal piece the white square was on. I haven't heard a peep out of it since.

Man, that rattle bugged me for 6 months. Took 5 mins to fix and I already had the wheather stripping. Only about 10 more rattles to go and all will be well...heh
Old 05-28-2005
Registered!!

beegwally has a spectacular aura aboutbeegwally has a spectacular aura aboutbeegwally has a spectacular aura about
Can you guys explain a bit further what you mean. I think my moonroof is rattling. It's intermittent and drivesme nuts. What do you mean by headliner...are you meaning the sunshade?
thanks
wally
Old 05-28-2005
Registered!!

skarteez is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah some clarification (maybe pics ) would help!
Old 05-28-2005
Registered!!

Holy crap, you guys brought this back from the dead.

Open your moonroof, get outside the car, and look through the hole. Reach in and grab your headliner, pull it away slightly, and shove some foam in there. That took care of it for me about 3 years ago now.
Old 05-28-2005
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
well since it's back post pics because sometimes that rattle is annoying.
Old 05-30-2005
Registered!!

I don't have access to my car at the moment. This shouldn't be difficult enough to warrant pics anyway. Seriously, it's just the space between the fabric-covered headliner piece and the sunroof opening, it's not rocket science. Anyone who wants pics should just pry themselves away from their keyboard, down a shot of common sense, and go outside and look at their car.
Old 05-31-2005
Registered!!

beegwally has a spectacular aura aboutbeegwally has a spectacular aura aboutbeegwally has a spectacular aura about
I hear what yer saying but what I am thinking is if I put something between the headliner, which slides in and out and the glas moonroof which also slides in and out that eventually the foam or whatever will move and imping movement because the sliding action will make it travel. I figure the adhesive will give eventually. But if you say it's cool....
Old 05-31-2005
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
*takes a shot of common sense*
Old 05-31-2005
Registered!!

I hear ya...I'll take a look when it quits raining

Thanks for the info...bloody squeak above my head drives me nuts
Old 05-31-2005
Registered!!

The headliner is NOT the moonroof shade. The headliner is the part that is directly above you head if you are in any seat of the car - the large, contiguous piece that covers the entire roof other than where the moonroof/shade combo is. That's the part that was rattling against the metal roof panel itself. It was the driver's side on my car, so I shoved some foam weather stripping between the metal around the moonroof "hole" and the headliner where the two come together.
Old 06-01-2005
Registered!!

OK...yeah yeah I got it now...sorry I'm slow. Thats where I think mine is coming from. Only it is the passenger side right above the back of the seat. At least thats what it sounds like. I'm really not as thick as I appear to be but I don't know **** about cars. Thanks for your patience. I'll let you know how it goes.