Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Does your civic shock you when you get out???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
65Coronet440 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dang, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. People have laughed at me when I get out cause I'm always jumping around when I shut the door, I feel like an idiot. I don't have this problem with other cars, I'm wondering if it has to do with the type of cloth they use.

Has anyone changed to seat covers and had this problem go away?
Old 11-02-2002
Registered!!

impetigo is an unknown quantity at this point
i used to have this prob with my old protege, but all you have to do is discharge the electricity with your key. so when before opening the door to get in your car, just hold the key and touch the door or handle and you should see a little spark maybe, and then open it. and when you're getting out, just do the same thing before touching the door to close it. it worked every time with my protege.
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

NickDaMans02Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to get shocked a lot when I was in dry arizona but now I am back in Oregon I haven't had that problem.

Nick
Old 11-04-2002
Registered!!

drumn2121 is on a distinguished road
Ok. to get rid of that stupid shoking problem you need to have a piece of metal that hangs from the bottem of your car and touches the ground so that the static discharges constantly. Have you ever seen the old cars or lowriders with those funny looking metal things hanging off their a#$ end or front? That's what those are made for. When you drive your car or when it's windy out your car's frame builds a static charge from the movement of the air swapping electrons to your frame giving it a negative charge.(like the carpet/feet thing) Your tires are insulating your car frame from the ground keeping it from discharging. Just attach that piece of metal somewhere to your frame under you car and it should discharge that really annoying shock to the ground without shocking you.
Old 01-29-2003
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
Sure, we're all gonna drive around with a piece of metal dragging from our cars. I hope you were joking.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

thirdhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Ever since I started using rubber floor mats (Simpsons mats -- I couldn't resist) to protect the carpeted mats, I haven't been shocked at all this winter. Last winter I was getting shocked regularly. I think it must be a discharge of static electricity, but maybe its not from the seats. Anyway, try using rubber mats during the winter and see what happens.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

sg2kca is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: MangoEX
Sure, we're all gonna drive around with a piece of metal dragging from our cars. I hope you were joking. [hr]
People have them here, it looks real tacky tho. Its like a bendable metal strip attached near the rear bumper.
Old 01-29-2003
I'm The Shit

david02civic should not be trusteddavid02civic should not be trusteddavid02civic should not be trusteddavid02civic should not be trusteddavid02civic should not be trusteddavid02civic should not be trusted
Ok guys, i have found the best fix to this problem, no ****. Alli do is roll down my window and crawl out. Its that simple....CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??????????LMAO[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

Free7civicex is an unknown quantity at this point
Great idea.

Its simple and a cheap fix. Getting shocked isn't the best experience, at least to me, and on average I get shocked several times a day when I get in and out of my car. My freakin' arm feels like its going to go numb sometimes. Oh well, just another thing to love about our 7th gen Civics.
Old 01-30-2003
Registered!!

sg2kca is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: david02civic
Ok guys, i have found the best fix to this problem, no ****. Alli do is roll down my window and crawl out. Its that simple....CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??????????LMAO[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
But then if u touch something metal, or someone else you'll get shocked.....i think
Old 01-30-2003
Registered!!

NativeTaffeta11 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's crazy how that happens, thanks for the thread and the advice. Now I'll be more careful.
Old 01-30-2003
Registered!!

imu123 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had this prob too. I found that if you grab any part of the door when it is open (but keep your feet in the car) then get out of the car and continue to hold the door and close it.
OR.... you could just install a ground strap to the bottom of your car. get it at crappy tire. like 5 bucks. prob gone!

Check out my ride... http://www.geocities.com/imtiazsajoo/CIVICSI.html
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

iluvbritney is an unknown quantity at this point
put one of those negative charge thing on touching the ground...but looks ugly imo
Old 02-03-2003
Registered!!

CIVIC9782 is an unknown quantity at this point
it shocks me
Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

hondah1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I also get shocked. Glad I saw this thread though. Now I have to try some of these techniques! And here is my new slogan
for the Civic:

"Drive the new Honda Civic, you'll be shocked!"

Old 02-04-2003
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Yeah I get that sometimes. Especially when I wear my OLD NAVY jacket it shocks me. Try wearing some different clothing.
Old 02-07-2003
Registered!!

Steely is an unknown quantity at this point
I hate getting shocked so bad that I will use my elbow or hip or anything to close the door. My husband laughs at me because it is like I am scared to touch the door when I get out. I have about give up and am just going to deal with it, or try the suggestion about touching the metal first. I hope it works, and if it does, then I will be so happy!
Old 02-09-2003
Registered!!

spideyfan77 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: CIVIC9782
it shocks me[hr]
me too
Old 02-09-2003
Extreme Member

ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Same here, happens everyday I get out, except for those cold and humid days.
Old 02-09-2003

nolimitrican is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah man it shocks me 2, u gotta b careful with thst ishh cause like last month some dude was putting gas to his car and when he finish and he took the hose out it shocked him and u know it run to the gas in the gas tank and explode is some scarry sh**t
Old 02-10-2003
Registered!!

noahnoah is an unknown quantity at this point
ALL THE DAMN TIME!!! I've tried shutting the doors with my sleeves and still get shocked throught my clothing. I think it mainly has to do with the time of the year though. I drive an automatic and it's still does it. I'd be interested in some of that stuff that you can spray in your car to keep it from happening. My latest attempts...I've been shutting the door by pushing the glass on the window with my sleeve so I don't get the window dirty. This has prooved to be the most succesful attempt so far and actually works. I wonder why it happens still.......
Old 02-12-2003
M1kEzPr1NcEzZ

Damn I cant believe someone created a forum for this, I always thought I was stupid for gettin shocked, my friends always laugh at me cus 3 peeps in the car im only one to get shocked so im glad im not the only one lol....and it makes it worst cus in my car I have aluminum plates for my mats lol so like its always slidin around on the carpet creatin static and damn when i get out im scared as **** now, always jus closin the door with my *** haha
Old 02-14-2003
Registered!!

mInImE is an unknown quantity at this point
There has to be a reason why this happens, if some one knows please tell me. Some times that shock is pretty strong...
Old 02-17-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
I just noticed this post and so I'm not the only one that gets shocked, thats good news, but even if i don't get shocked on hand sometimes the hairs on my leg with touch and it will still shock me
Old 02-17-2003
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: mInImE
There has to be a reason why this happens, if some one knows please tell me. Some times that shock is pretty strong...[hr]
The reason why you're getting shocked is because when you drive, your tires either give off or pick up extra electrons. Now i've heard the saying that (but rubber doesn't conduct electricity), well partly true, anyway, all those little' electrons are hovering around the body of your car, they don't go inside because electrons will occupy the greatest space possible, which means the outside of your car. Remember that when a powerline falls on your car or if it gets struck by lightning YOU DO NOT GET OUT. Because the body of your car is retaining a large charge as a result of this. Anyway, the reason why you get shocked is because all those little electrons want to occupy a greater space, when you touch the car, you are allowing some of them to travel to you, and now cover your body. I hope this helps all you understand what is going on.

The way to prevent this from what i've gathered is to put a chain, cable or metal strap that's going from your car to the road, this causes the electrons to bleed off your car back to where they came from, good ol' mother earth. That's why you'll see cars with a strap or chain dangling off their car.

I hope this helps
-Mark
Old 02-18-2003
Registered!!

HRocket2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
same **** happens to me everytime, but i just followed the advice of "Mex" and it doesn't happen.. thanks man.
Old 04-18-2003
Registered!!

bong is an unknown quantity at this point
I heard you build electricity on your body due to your ICE system. If there is alot of voltage going from the front to the back of the car, that's the cause.
Old 04-18-2003
Registered!!

2k2civicRAY is an unknown quantity at this point
The car hasn't shocked me in a while. It used to do it all the time. Come to think of it, it hasn't shocked me since i got the kit put on. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Old 04-18-2003
Registered!!

02NCcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
my mom's odessey does the same thing to me all the time
Old 04-18-2003
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Some of you may think this is silly, but this can be a huge problem. I work as a mechanic on buses. Imagine all the static electricity that one of these babies can produce. Top it off, most of them have stainless steel door handles. So imagine getting off of one of these touching a huge steel rod. Big time shock.

The easiest way to get rid of the static charge is to have a grounding strap. Metal leaves too many sparks and such, so all the transit agencies use a rubber version. They simply bolt to the frame and drag on the ground. I laughed my ars off when I first learned this, then I took them off and drove a bus around on a humid day. I nearly jumped in the air getting off the bus!

So after being a believer, I liberated one of these straps for a little test. They only have to be bolted to metal, so I picked a spot way under the car. That way no one sees it. Guess what, no more shocks at all. Every time my car is on a lift, someone always asks what the uck, but I simply shrug and say grounding strap. They see the system and shut up. But in normal driving you cannot see a black strap under a lowered car, so it normally is never seen.

Quick Reply: Does your civic shock you when you get out???