Idle Issues If you have idle issues, post here!

Wandering Idle When Tank >1/4 Full

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,889 Likes on 1,332 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Wandering Idle When Tank >1/4 Full

I discovered something really weird yesterday (2001 Civic EX). The idle was all over the place once warmed up so I replaced the IAC, this seemed to mostly fix the issue. When I slowed down for a stop sign though the idle would jump up to ~1500 rpm then drop to ~1000, then back up to ~1500, and finally drop to normal idle. I though maybe there was some air in the system still, I also had the loss of power issue discussed in another thread so I ignored the idle. While replacing the fuel filter/strainer I emptied the fuel tank down to about 1/4 tank. Afterwards I took the car for a 20 mile drive, no loss of power and the idle seemed to fix itself (no more wandering at stop signs).

Well yesterday I put a few gallons of gas in bringing it up to just shy of half a tank and the idle issue immediately appeared again as I was leaving the gas station, coincidence?? I really don't know what to make of that. The IAC I used came off another Civic that didn't have any idle problems but it had been sitting for a few months. I guess my next step would be pull it back off and try to clean it real well. Any other ideas?
Old 04-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Wandering Idle When Tank >1/4 Full

The fuel pump, and evap system would be the only things affected by opening up the fuel tank and adding gas.

Being that you just took apart and replaced parts on your fuel pump I would suggest getting actual fuel pressure readings before replacing anymore parts.
Old 04-09-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,889 Likes on 1,332 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Wandering Idle When Tank >1/4 Full

One thing I should mention, when I had the gas fill cap off I noticed the rubber seal on it was broken. I swapped a known good cap on before I left for work this morning.