Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Swapped cluster, Need Mileage to match

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FijiEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Swapped cluster, Need Mileage to match

Got an 05 EX/SE coupe. Car came with an instrument cluster with the red rings and I've just purchased a cluster with blue rings as it's more appealing to the eyes.

Current cluster in car has 263K Miles

Blue ring cluster has 205K Miles

What can I do to get the miles to match on my new cluster?

Im not looking at this in the fraudulent way to roll anything back, just simply want it to match so as to be legal.
Old 04-02-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swapped cluster, Need Mileage to match

Cheapest and definitely legal: Go to your local DMV and see if they have any of these stickers
Or maybe a car dealership....I know our shop USED to have a stack of these

To actually change mileage in the cluster you would have to send the cluster out to a speedometer repair shop that has the electronic equipment to do the work.
There are several around the country, we have used http://www.paspeedo.com/

In my state I think the DMV doesn't give a poop once the odometer is over 100k.
Old 04-03-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Or maybe pop apart your red one and see how hard it would be to swap over the blue parts you now have..
Old 04-03-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,295 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

What I have done in the past is wire up the cluster to a Arduino microcontroller and send a pulse signal on the speedometer line. This will make the cluster think it is moving and will run up the miles. I don't know the legality of this (maybe someone else can comment) but you can only run the mileage up and not down so I don't see why it wouldn't be ok. I have done this on a few clusters I swapped into my car.
Old 04-03-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

When I bought my rogue with like 122k kilometers it had originated in Canada so I wanted to swap cluster out for American cluster I bought with 76k miles but it had a recent transmission replacement that was still under Nissan warranty so I took it by the Nissan dealer to do the swap so it would be documented.

They refused saying it was a federal law... I tried to explain to them we are not talking about a mattress tag here but to no avail..

In Texas you can write whatever you want in the mileage section of the title transfer and if it’s over 100k or 10yrs the clerics usually just write Exempt on the title..
Old 04-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FijiEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in South Carolina and my vehicle has a salvage title so the mileage may not even matter at all. I hadn't even thought about it until just now.