Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 Civic - 225KM - Looking for Pointers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pokzen is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic - 225KM - Looking for Pointers

Hi All;

New to the forum. I just bought a 2004 Honda Civic LX this week. It's 225K kilometers (139K Miles) and seems in very good shape. Everything's tight, body is in great shape, and it's safetied. I paid $3,000

I'm interested in optimizing my value and these are some of the things on my mind - hoping there's some good folks in the forums who can steer me right!

I) Daytime running lights are not working and I find the headlights not bright enough at night. What's the best fix? Can I upgrade the bulbs for the headlights or do I need full new headlamps?

II) Slight exhaust smell inside on the highway. Just wondering if there is something common that could be easily fixed to correct this.

III) I'd like to switch to synthetic oil to get the most out of the engine life - I've read pros and cons - what are your thoughts?

IV) Air filter I read somewhere that a K&N Air filter was a good thing and helped with the fuel economy. I don't know anything about this. Any experience?

Basically I want the car to last until 300-350K - I think it should - I'd like to optimize the fuel efficiency as well, and I think it's doing about right now - I seem to be getting around the 30MPG but maybe a little less - I'm sure it could improve a bit. It's a great little car - I don't want to mod it, but I do want to optimize it. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I don't know if the timing belt has been changed and I'll be checking into that. (I know that's a big one on the Civics)

PS - the best car I ever owned was a 1991 CRX - LOVED THAT CAR.

Thanks everyone,

Shane
Old 11-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2004 Civic - 225KM - Looking for Pointers

IMHO

I) Fix the DRL issue. Sometimes a simple resolder job is all that's needed.
Are lenses cloudy? Need restoration or replaced?
Search the forum for the DRL problem

II) Cracked exhaust manifold likely

III) I'd just use a good 5w20 or even 0w20 for the frigid cold, these engines aren't known for bearing problems. Consumption and eventual leakage are more likely than lube related bearing problems (unless you run it out of oil).

IV) Incorrect on both counts. K&N does a **** poor job of filtering out dirt particles (critical for protecting against compression ring wear),

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...ter-study.html

and modern fuel injected engines can't gain or lose fuel economy with an air filter. Performance can be affected, but not economy.

It took the government over two freekin decades to admit air filter don't affect fuel economy

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.jsp
Old 11-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

I) Polish the haze out of the lenses with Plastx or similar. I use the Sylvania ZXE bulbs now after trying a lot of other halogen bulbs. Since the DRLs run the high beams in the H4 bulbs, they should last longer than a year - I only use the full headlights at night. I also tried the HID kits and they are no good period.
II) Cracked manifold like mentioned or exhaust leak somewhere along the rest of the system.
III) I'd stick to conventional oil.
IV) Stick with conventional air filter.
Other stuff: change the cabin filter behind the glovebox/perform the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, cam and crank seals, the 2 accessory belts, thermostat and coolant ASAP - these are interference engines!/brake fluid flush/replace spark plugs with OEM NGKs/check for leaking head gasket which these engines are prone to/if auto transmission - replace the ATF with OEM DW-1 via a drain and fill with driving in between times three - NO FLUSHING.
Old 11-30-2017
Registered!!

Thank you!
Old 11-30-2017
Registered!!

Thank you!

Copied both responses and emailed to myself. Will be following up on all of this information. Greatly appreciated!
Old 11-30-2017
Registered!!

REXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura aboutREXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura about

Likely a broken solder inside the DRL module
Its an easy fix or you can spend a pile of money on a new module

Buff the headlights , there are kits available or most body shops will do fairly cheap

the Exhaust leak you need to pin point

Change the oil regularly (5K KM) with a good oil like Castrol rather than going the distance with synthetic

If its an automatic transmission change the fluid also , use Honda transmission fluid ONLY
Old 12-01-2017
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
thetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of lightthetut is a glorious beacon of light

Take a look at this:
for your DRL problem.
Old 12-01-2017
Registered!!

REXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura aboutREXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura about

The DRL module on my CANADIAN 01 if i remember correctly was in a blue box and I could actually see the broken connection
I only touched up the connection with a iron , no flux or solder
Never had another issue