Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1993 Eg Hatch dx turns over , will not start, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emiliglo is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation 1993 Eg Hatch dx turns over , will not start, HELP

So the past 2 weeks or so my civic has been dying at start up. Fire up, then immediately die. Turn it back on no issues. Or it’ll take a long time to fire up and crank for awhile. Idle has also been pretty bouncy going from ~500-1.5k rpm. Anyways, today as I was driving home on the freeway , the car started to feel as if the transmission was engaging , and disengaging (just to give you a reference of what it was like) it did this a couple times and got progressively worse , eventually I couldn’t give the car any gas at all and had to coast it off the exit and pull over. Felt kinda boggy. Yes I had gas , yes the oil is fine, I tried to turn the car on , and it just cranks forever and will not start. Have power , and the motor wants to go. But the two people that came to me to help at two separate times said it sounds like my distributor is bad. Or ignition switch. No smoke , no loud noises . But based on what’s been happening it makes sense that it doesn’t have any spark to turn over or anything , is the distributor the issue ? Also , when the car died t off while I was driving the oil light and battery light came up, tried to search for that on other forums but everybody got off topic and couldn’t seem to find a solution. Please help and any comment helps thank you!
Old 09-28-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 1993 Eg Hatch dx turns over , will not start, HELP

oil and battery light came on because the engine died = no oil pressure and no charging.
you need to see if you're getting spark and fuel. could be the main relay, could be the distributor, you need to test and figure out what you're missing.